Exhaust Talk

Sepultura

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I've searched and there really isn't a thread on different muffler options and true measurements on factory exhaust parts, so I decided to create this thread, maybe it even becomes a sticky who knows? Anyway, I am a big fan of Magnaflow and it will be the primary topic of conversation from me, but please add any other info details or preferences you guys have, the more information the better. I think I've already decided how to go about my exhaust setup when the time comes, but I hope people out there find this helpful.

I gather that the factory piping is 2" in daimter. I added some pictures of measurements I took from my LS to get a better idea of what can work. Magnaflow makes a plethora of options to customize different kinds of set ups. I added a couple of different pictures of different mufflers, also part numbers and muffler measurements. my initial plan was to install an 2.25" X-pipe(pn 10790) as soon as both exhaust pipes came close enough together before the resonators, then install a medium sized oval muffler in place of the factory ones(2.25" oval muffler pn 12255). That plan I decided to scrap and I think I'm gonna end replacing the glasspacks with a dual 2.5" inlet/outlet X-Core muffler(pn 11386 20" length) as a resonator, and then the Mufflers at the back where the factory ones go(pn12256 18" length). A little easier on the wallet and a quieter option too. I'm going for the quiet exhaust, if anything the slightest decibel louder than factory, but I'm only looking for better flow but keeping as quiet as possible.

So Magnaflow muffler part numbers are as follows:
Center To Offset Muffler 5x8" oval, 18" Body length 22" overall Length
2.25" in/out 12255
2.50" in/out 12256
*this particular muffler in my opinion would be the best fit to replace the factory mufflers, tight fit but should work(in theory).

*A quieter option would also be Maganflow's XL series muffler, these are chambered mufflers not straight through, they claim to be the quietest magnaflows around. Not sure how much flow would be restricted over the regular straight through mufflers, but its probably A LOT better than factory either way.

Center to Offset XL Series Muffler 4x9" oval, 18" Body Length 22" overall length
2.00" in/out 13254
2.25" in/out 13254
2.50" in/out 13256

Glasspack Mufflers 18" body length 22" overall length
2.00" in/out 18124
2.25" in/out 18125
* The choices for the glasspack are limited to 2" or 2.25" diameter due to the length, 2.5" diameter ones are available but are to long in my opinion and would probably cause clearance issues or drastic pipe
bending angles.

Offset to Offset (Same side offset) 4x9 oval
2.50" in/out 14377 14" body length 20" overall length
2.50" in/out 11376 11" body length 17" overall length
* This would probably be an even better fit than the center to offset muffler, less pipe bending required in my opinion, and it can be tucked into the rear bumper quite nicely.

Dual inlet Dual Outlet 4x9 oval Tru X-Core muffler
2.25" in/out 11385
2.50" in/out 11386
*Biggest bang for your buck! this muffler has a built in X crossover, so you get to mints in one! this should fit where the original resonators go, I've found posts where they have installed the Dynomax counterpart of this muffler. I did my research and the Dynomax is slightly longer than the Magnaflow, so again, in theory, it should fit, based on the dimensions given on the websites.

X-Pipe True Crossover
2.25" in/out 10790
2.50" in/out 10791
* These are probably the best X-pipe crossovers there are. The main benefit of having these is the flow it produces, known as the scavenging effect. they also provide for a smoother transition from bank to bank, and also helps in reducing the harsher obnoxious tones produced in exhaust.

MF GP Muffler.jpg

xl muffler internal.jpg

Offset_Offset_Same_Sidep.jpg

Center_Offsetp MF Muffler.jpg

Center_Offset_MF XL muffler.jpg

Dual_Dualp.jpg

muffler1.jpg

muffler3.jpg

muffler4.jpg

muffler5.jpg

muffler 05.jpg

muffler 04.jpg