Manual Trans Info.

Brain

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if there are any sensors in the manual transmission of a 2000 LS?
I'm looking at doing a tranny swap on an LS and need to know if there are any signals that I need to replicate to keep the engine computer happy.

Thanks.

Top connector is the reverse light switch, bottom connector is the speedometer sensor. There are no others.

Top connector is the reverse light switch, bottom connector is the speedometer sensor. There are no others.

The output shaft speed sensor is not used for the speedometer. That comes from the ABS module.

You just said it received that info from the ABS module

The speedometer is driven by the ABS module, which infers vehicle speed from the ABS sensor. The PCM gets vehicle speed information from the output shaft speed sensor, quote: "The PCM uses the frequency signal generated by the VSS (and other inputs) to control such parameters as fuel injection, ignition control, transmission/transaxle shift scheduling and torque converter clutch scheduling"

The VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal) comes from the ABS module.

For the speedometer, yes. The PCM takes input ALSO from the output shaft speed sensor, and uses it in the manner I described above. If you like, I can post the appropriate wiring diagrams and Tech literature, since I actually work at a Ford dealer.

For the speedometer, yes. The PCM takes input ALSO from the output shaft speed sensor, and uses it in the manner I described above. If you like, I can post the appropriate wiring diagrams and Tech literature, since I actually work at a Ford dealer.

Yes, and my point is that the VSS is from the ABS module. The signal from the transmission is the OSS. They are similar and you can even argue that they are almost redundant. However, they are not the same.

Could the engine be tuned without the OSS?
I would venture not, but I don't know what custom tunes can safely ignore or overwrite. According to the PCED manual:

Screen Shot 2014-06-07 at 10.38.12 PM.jpg

http://imgur.com/WOJwK84

Screen Shot 2014-06-07 at 10.38.12 PM.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back