Peterk

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've had my 96 D.A. for exactly one year and I have encountered my first trouble code. P 0174. I can drive all day and no code but when on the highway at 70 and i punch it to pass, it sometimes throws this code. I searched and most threads say O2 sensor but I'm thinking something else because wouldn't a bad O2 sensor throw a trouble all the time ? I just hit 74k miles. It's only happened 3 times and I clear each time. Fingers crossed it's not the IMRC ...

I did some light research for you and 0174 'means system too lean bank 2' (drivers side). Maybe you have a vacuum leak somewhere? I don't think it's a 02 sensor. I would check that vacuum t that's next to the throttle body on the drivers side and generally check the intake for vacuum leaks

It just strikes me as strange that it only throws the code when accelerating quickly on the highway. The idle is as smooth as can be and no code driving at normal speeds .. even on the highway. Thanks for the info .. at least when I go through the engine, I'll have some clues as to where to look .. I'm new to the 4.6 ... so be patient with this old duffer ..

I don't know the mathematics behind the O2 sensor, but it might have gotten 'lazy'. It can keep up at idle but it can't handle fast moving conditions and pukes out, perhaps?

The 02 sensors are a bitch to change on these cars especially the front ones. I would go over the engine with a fine tooth comb before you start changing the 02 sensor. I changed my driver side by removing the wiper cowl, and disconnecting the hood struts. The passenger side from underneath and had to drop the exhaust down from the manifold. When I got a 02 code it said 02 sensor specifically and said something like 02 not switching and I think named which sensor too.

My car did the same thing without the code. I thought it may be carboned up, so I water treated it through the vacuum brake hose and have lived happily ever after. Some who are freaked about the H2o use Seafoam. My traction control light was actuated, too, so maybe a completely different problem. Opals post has me worried about sensor changes.

Opals post has me worried too ... I'll cross everything else off before I attempt the O2's .. thanks for all the info ..

Members online

No members online now.
Back