hub/brake swap and wheel selection/specs

drobs5

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the process of collecting all the parts to hub swap my mark viii to 5x4.5 so I can swap some different wheels on the car (and have the ability to swap to some of the mustang wheels I already have if desired).

So far I have collected 03 cobra front rotors and calipers, 03 cobra front hubs, 03 cobra rear rotors and rear caliper brackets (from Jay). I am still looking for some 03 cobra rear hubs that won't break the bank but haven't been able to find any as of yet.

My car (silver 97 LSC) was converted from the air ride by the previous owner so I am planning to lower it with a set of springs (see link below) but I was wondering what rims people have had success with and/or like. I saw the thread below and particulary like the 2010 mustang gt wheels shown in post #4 but the 18" saleen wheels have always looked great on these cars to me.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?88714-Wheels-That-Fit-Mark-VIII-s

Springs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281305561984?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What do you guys think of my plan and what do you think on wheel selection? Not looking to spend a fortune on wheels but want something that looks good obviously. Maybe some out of the box idea on wheels that isn't the norm for these cars?

I will also be rebuilding the front end (control arms, bushings, ball joints, etc) while I'm doing to the upgrade so this is costing a small fortune lol.

Doesn't have to be Cobra hub, GT is the same

Those are the springs I have. Made this to keep from rubbing my old wheels .
IMG_20140331_154704653_HDR.jpg

IMG_20140331_155223210.jpg

If you go with the late model 19s you will need spacers they are 19x8.5 with. 50mm offset. I used 15mm H&R hubcentric ones that were over $100 a pair so make sure you factor that into your pricing.

-Alan

If you go with the late model 19s you will need spacers they are 19x8.5 with. 50mm offset. I used 15mm H&R hubcentric ones that were over $100 a pair so make sure you factor that into your pricing.

-Alan

I will probably not run those just for that reason. What wheels are you running now? Do they require spacers also?

American Muscle replicas of the same wheel in 19x8.5 30mm offset, and 19x10 48mm offset no spacers

So I'm in the process of collecting all the parts to hub swap my mark viii to 5x4.5 so I can swap some different wheels on the car (and have the ability to swap to some of the mustang wheels I already have if desired).

So far I have collected 03 cobra front rotors and calipers, 03 cobra front hubs, 03 cobra rear rotors and rear caliper brackets (from Jay). I am still looking for some 03 cobra rear hubs that won't break the bank but haven't been able to find any as of yet.

My car (silver 97 LSC) was converted from the air ride by the previous owner so I am planning to lower it with a set of springs (see link below) but I was wondering what rims people have had success with and/or like. I saw the thread below and particulary like the 2010 mustang gt wheels shown in post #4 but the 18" saleen wheels have always looked great on these cars to me.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?88714-Wheels-That-Fit-Mark-VIII-s

Springs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281305561984?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What do you guys think of my plan and what do you think on wheel selection? Not looking to spend a fortune on wheels but want something that looks good obviously. Maybe some out of the box idea on wheels that isn't the norm for these cars?

I will also be rebuilding the front end (control arms, bushings, ball joints, etc) while I'm doing to the upgrade so this is costing a small fortune lol.

Hold the phone! vogtland makes the 1.6" drop springs again? for the longest time they weren't available..only the 1" drop.

depending what style wheel you want, I found that the factory 30mm backspace 17"x8" mustang wheels fit like a glove..they sit perfectly in the wheel well, and don't rub on anything. I've got 255/50 nittos on my car and come close to the fender lip but don't rub.

20140228_150041_zpsdec75e00.jpg

20140330_154508_zps7c437ccf.jpg

20140411_134442_zps613f19a4.jpg

18x10 with 40mm offset, 255/55 tires

My new wheels are 30mm and do not rub.

Sapp what wheels are on your car now? Did you switch from those FR500s in your sig?

18x10 with 40mm offset, 255/55 tires

My new wheels are 30mm and do not rub.

If I remember correctly, you actually had the 94-04 offset wheels first, and that's why you had such a problem with rubbing with those little skinny tires. The 10-inch 04 wheels have an offset of like 24mm, which will stick out about about 5/8" more than the 05 offset at 40mm.

30mm is pretty much perfect for a 9-inch wheel, and 45mm is ideal for a 10-inch. Mine are 30mm front, and 40mm rear.

Yes, had the -04 wheels first, the night my mother passed away I was heading to her house from the hospital and some typical Houston driver wanted my lane with no signal. Despite me laying on the horn (I have a set of the stock Mark horns, combined with a set of 93 Cadillac DeVille horns) he (in a Suburban) ran me onto the train tracks. The Houston Medical Center has a small AmTrack type train system and its divider from the normal car lanes are these 6" concrete cylinders placed a few inched apart. Destroyed both front tires and rims and bent the rear rims a bit but the tires were OK. Found a distributor for the wheels locally the next day, and thou they don't usually have a "store front" I gave them my story and told them what kind of car it was and they hooked me up with an 05+ set of FR500s for $500. Got 2 new Michelin Primacy mxv4 installed at NTB for $680

As soon as he ran me out of my lane, I was in the left lane, he then immediately made a right turn onto another street from the left lane. I wanted to chase him down and have a discussion with him about it
article-2645807-1E65555C00000578-585_634x504.jpg

I for one always appreciate this info with specifics and try to bookmark it for later use. Actual experiences are always valuable.

My front Offset is 30mm and my rears are 40mm. I had my info backwards. Had to add a thin shim plate for the rear hubs to avoid the inner rim from rubbing the caliper bracket . Need those caliper relocation brackets so I can install my rear Cobra rotors Jay. I'm pretty sure with those I can omit the hub shim and allow the rears to be tucked in enough to also omit that Spring puck stack I made. Once that's done I'll drill the holes in my front struts necessary to drop the nose about an inch

Members online

No members online now.
Back