dash defroster cover/darker graphite

Bangster

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have searched, and found some topics and pictures of the light graphite SEM classic coat (doesn't seem to match as well as I would want), but I can't find anything on the upper tier of the dash, the darker graphite on my 97.

SEM has medium graphite, medium dark graphite, and dark graphite. any one ever try matching it, and if so, which one was it?

My defroster cover is missing the drivers side plastic leg with clip, so that corner vibrates, I can hear it and see it, and it is annoying.

I found one from a tan (or cream?) interior that is dark brown.

I think my best bet is to paint/dye the brown one. I was also going to pick up the plastic welder at Harbor Freight (horrible fright) tools, and possibly weld on a new tab and clip, on the cover I already have. I also want to weld a couple of the bars on the grille, and a few other things that glue won't hold, but if I get the right rod and temperature, welding it might be okay.

I also picked up a cream colored ashtray, the lid on mine is broken, missing the press and close/open arm and pivot point. I don't know if I want to try to Frankenstein it or paint the lid.

I have a perfect graphite dash top plate or defroster cover as you call it out of a 97 but shipping would probably be brutal. PM me your zip and I could send you a price. Also have a graphite complete cupholder.

Bangster, I think you're not seeing this effectively. Your proposed fix will be a short term solution at best. Maybe living with the gapped tooth look and defroster blight will allow you to save for the proper used parts that will fix it for good? Surely there in Arizona you have a PicknPull with a second Gen car? It isn't my car, however, so I apologize if I have spoken out of turn. There is a wealth of folks here willing to sell you pieces cheap and give you the correct procedure for installation. I have never had a plastic "weld" work. Maybe they're better now? Whatever you decide, good luck. Keep the car on the road.

if your concern with the top dash cover is vibration, maybe just velcro that attachment site? I'm with OldDavid re; the grille repair: I'll believe
it when I see it, don't think the glue fix would stand the test of time

Yes, I think shipping costs and probability of breakage is high, so I appreciate the offers and if I thought I could get the pieces intact and reasonably priced I would jump on them.

The grille is currently glued, and I can't break them free, but the glue is yellowing. With the plastic welding, as long as you know what type of plastic it is, and get the correct temperature and fill rod, it can be as solid as if it was one piece.

I probably should have snagged the somewhat broken black grille, and the chrome worn off and one mount spot broken base one, but I am really trying to keep costs low, big spares around the house down to a minimum, and try to only get what I need and not break stuff to get it (I hate seeing a ripped in half door panel to get a switch, for example), so I left them.

I tried using velcro, and I have tried wedging in something to keep it from rattling and looking reasonable, but that didn't cut it.

I guess once I add on USB power ports (always on and switched) I can just make my ashtray always closed, as I only open it for the power point and to sometimes wedge a phone there.

how do you find out the type of plastic that was used in the grille?

That is one of the issues. I have no idea what type of plastic it is.

Members online

No members online now.
Back