What needs to be done?

Moliveira

LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright everyone I have a 2000 ls V8 auto, She shut down on me and kicked up 2 fault codes first one is P1633 and the other was PO720. What do I need to fix this, or parts need changing? Help me please.

Alright everyone I have a 2000 ls V8 auto, She shut down on me and kicked up 2 fault codes first one is P1633 and the other was PO720. What do I need to fix this, or parts need changing? Help me please.
P1633 IS: KEEP ALIVE POWER. Check/replace fuse, battery should read above 12.8 volts, check voltage output of alternator. Ensure all cable connections are clean & tight.

Speed sensor bad, replace. Check wiring also.

Speed sensor bad, replace. Check wiring also.

Except, there is no single speed sensor on the LS. The PCM gets speed information from the ABS controller. The ABS controller gets it from the [rear] wheel speed sensors. While this is a problem to address, it wouldn't keep the car from running. Problems with the memory power to the PCM could.

I wonder if this isn't really a bad alternator and/or battery?

The battery is only about 8 months old, as for the alt. it starts and runs fine. No other elec problems.

as for the alt. it starts and runs fine.
those do not really test if the alt is any good...

The battery is only about 8 months old.
while batteries are expected to last longer than that, many thing can cause a battery to fail early. one of which is alt failure (or the alt starting to fail...) unless you catch it right away, a failing battery can damage an alternator, and like wise a failing alternator can damage a new battery. often enough, we dont correct these problems quick enough and one ends up taking out the other and both need to be replaced at the same time.

proper testing is the only way to be sure.

Members online

No members online now.
Back