Why exactly can't I replace 1 COP at a time?

Ghaleon64

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Just out of morbid curiosity... I always see, "you have to replace ALL the COPs if one goes bad" and I'm just wondering why this is. :)

Just out of morbid curiosity... I always see, "you have to replace ALL the COPs if one goes bad" and I'm just wondering why this is. :)

Because you'll be getting in there and doing them one-by-one as they fail within a short period of time. It's like washing one piece of clothing art a time; it can be done but why waste the water???

It's also difficult to be sure that you are (1) replacing the correct one - the codes can be wrong about that, and (2) that there really is just one marginal one. It seems that a lot of time, people don't notice the problem until more than one coil has become marginal. The longer you go with marginal coils, the more likely that you will ruin your catalytic converters.

+1

also the elements that can damage one coil enough to cause failure (heat, water, oil etc..), will also diminish the performance of another, even though a code may not appear...

It's a domino effect coil 1 will throw a code you go in replace coil 1 button everything up a a month or so later coil 2 then so fourth so on. Now I could see replacing one at a time if all you had to do was pop the hood pull the coil replace and be done with. But by it being tight on the driver side and that bottom back bolt being so hard to reach save the trouble and just replace them all.

But for a side note not to hi jack the thread will it be possible to use a more reliable coil from another engine and mod it to fit the ls.

Also I think if we delete the covers seal the plug well that in its self would one cool the coils better by allowing air to flow across them, and the sealant can keep water and dirt also oil (only if the vcg has been replaced and is not the problem) out of the wells.

For some strange reason I feel that it's to hot under those covers and that's part of the reason the epoxy fails prematurely and ford knows this but by it being a car that's out of production has no interests in useing a better more heat tempered expoxy cause they can make more money of the replacement of them. Appose to fixing the problem.

For some strange reason I feel that it's to hot under those covers and that's part of the reason the epoxy fails prematurely and ford knows this but by it being a car that's out of production has no interests in useing a better more heat tempered expoxy cause they can make more money of the replacement of them. Appose to fixing the problem.

I'll hijack it then.
HIJACK_smiley.gif

I wonder how well it would work to machine a set of aluminum covers to replace the plastic ones, with cooling fins on the covers to draw off the heat. Alternatively, I wonder how effective some Peltier converters under those covers might work, since they can cool down when electricity is applied. It wouldn't cool it down by tons, but it might cool it down enough to keep the coils from failing if heat were the issue.

No, I have no interest in doing this. My coils and plugs were recently replaced, and I'll be very surprised if I still have this car when they need to be done again.

I see no point in the coil covers. If you get water on your valve covers, you are doing something seriously wrong.

I wouldn't say that the design is a problem with the coil covers, twin cam mod motors (at least the later generations) use the same style coil covers, and they never had this kind of problem. I think it more has to to with the specific choice in epoxy formula used.

In all honesty I replaced 4 coils, all one at a time, in the 7 years I owned my 01. I also never once changed the valve cover gaskets and did not have oil in the wells.

Cool, thanks!

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't some catastrophically damaging act to replace one at a time... Only reason I initially asked is I replaced all 8 not long ago and one just started acting up. Was hoping I could replace that one since the other 7 aren't that old. :p

when you did the job did you get the ebay ones if you did then they will all go bad soon. the only ebay coils that you should get are the very hard to find VISTEON coils. if not then I get the motorcraft ones from the dealer or do like I did on my old LS I got all 8 from advance auto with a 30% discount and a 3 year warranty that way if they go bad I just take all 8 back and get a new set of coils.

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't some catastrophically damaging act to replace one at a time...

the main damage you could face would be causing damage to the cats IF the problem is not fully fixed in time...

If something is a bitch to get to, I always replace them when I replace the one I think is the problem. Then replace the others as needed. Most of the time this would refer to coil packs that are covered by a plenum and the plenum would need to be removed. The v-8 ls is a different story though.

the main damage you could face would be causing damage to the cats IF the problem is not fully fixed in time...

Actually, the computer is at risk as well, as more than one member has found out. Apparently marginal coils can induce voltage into the computer trigger line and fry the computer.

The answer to the original question is "you can replace them 1 at a time". That's exactly what my Lincoln Service Rep and Mechanic advised my wife to do (I was out of the country).

However, when you spend the effort to get to one of them, the remaining 3 on that side takes just another 5 minutes max to complete. Lincoln Service wanted something in the neighborhood of $400 to replace 1. The labor is in the removal of the cover, or better yet, that last bolt.

Of course, there are lots of other great reasons to just replace them all (see above).

Truth be told, I only had a problem with one of the six bolts on the driver's side... The stupid lower middle one that is behind a bunch of immovable crap. So when I got it out finally, I just looked at it, told it to F itself and threw it away. So there are only 5 on the driver's side now. I don't think that'll be a big deal. :D

Passenger side, all 6 no problem.

Members online

Back