Houston We need solutions!

kevin2012

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I'm running into an odd scenario and would like to see if anyone could lend some advice,

Yesterday my '94 with 195k was running just fine drove about 120 some miles. This morning before I went to work I went out started the car and went for a drive with no issue until i got back to my place and prepared for work. When I got back into my car I noticed the a very strong odor from the inside of the car which smelled like burning plastic, thinking to myself "I dont have time for this" I jumped into the car and started driving. About 3 miles out I realized that there was white smoke coming into the cabin. After pulling over and looking and checking to make sure the vehicle wasnt overheating I looked for the source of the smoke and noticed red hot lines under the transmission dipstick, I wasnt able to tell but at least got a picture.

so my question to all you smart people out there is what are these lines? and what is causing these lines to heat up?

Thanks Everyone!

Problem.jpg

Problem.jpg

Fuel lines maybe?? They run right by the trans dip stick.

What does your tranny fluid look and smell like? You may have cooked it, and it boiled up the dipstick tube while sitting, and gotten on the exhaust system etc.

Can you get us a better picture with some light down there please?

are they actually lines? I dont have a Mk (own an LS) so I am not entirely familiar with the 4.6 layout but it looks like header glow wich could be from a severe leak at the intake manifold (causing a lean condition) or possibly an injector not operating correctly. I couldnt imagine your transmission oil getting that hot without you noticing a difference in the way it is driving. and if it is fuel lines,, um,, wow. just wow.

if your exhaust is close to that area maybe the view you are seeing is not actually lines but rather part of your manifold that is glowing red hot.

sorry if I am way off on this, just a "shot in the dark"

I can't think of a situation where a trans/brake/fuel line whatever could get THAT hot. It looks like somebody put a torch to it till it got cherry red, I just don't see that being possible unless it's exhaust related. Is it the cat?

Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of fuel lines getting hot .. Can't remember who it was, or why it happened thou

Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of fuel lines getting hot .. Can't remember who it was, or why it happened thou

def not saying it isnt possible, but hot enough to glow like that and I my first thought would be to shut her down and RUN!

Isn't where the red is at about where the passenger side catalytic converter is at? Lines would be the edges of the cat where the shield isn't covering them.

Other reason I highly suspect the cat is they will do that when clogged.

Members online

No members online now.
Back