Fog light options

jruppert

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of guys going with HID conversions and LED conversions for their fog lights but is there an option for a regular bulb? I was looking on Rockauto.com hoping to see something like Nighthawk or Wagner that offers a whiter light but I am not finding anything. If I cant find a normal bulb, then perhaps LED. But I have heard the LED is not good for distance. I could be wrong though.

bulb.jpg

Any thoughts on this?

bulb.jpg

we sell those at my job and I bought them amd they arent even close to white , for leds fogs Id go with 80 watt ones , I have currently 80 watt leds in my high beams and they work great , I have 3000k hids in my fogs right now
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=941TSMyVTPI

If you want crisp, white light. You have to do HID or LED. But since you mentioned you want distance, your only option is HID for that combination.

Halogen is for use. LED is for looks. HID is for looks and use.

what ever you do, stay the hell away from silverstars!

I agree then , those Led kits are well over $100 (worth it IMO since they last so long )

excuse my ignorance, but will a switch to led headlights require any type of add-on or modification like when you go to hid and need to add a ballast?

depends , for my 80 watt ones they are plug and play , for the really powerful ones with 2000 lumens and up they come with a ballast

so to go with the 3600 ones being recommended for headlight use they will require one, do they come as a plug and play type kit?

you mean for the LED kit ? if so what ever your bulb size is then get that kit for that size

you mean for the LED kit ? if so what ever your bulb size is then get that kit for that size

Yes for the led kit. So I'm guessing it's all just plug and play. When it comes to the led bulbs. Also will it be noticeable lay brighter at night.

yea it is like a Hid kit when it comes to hooking it up, the ones I saw that fit out car on Vled were rated at about 2100 lumens , I have 80 watt led bulbs and they are rated at 1200 lumens and they do alright for simple bulbs , that ebay link is one fore 3600 lumens so if that is true it puts out a good ass amount of light , do you want them in the low beam or fogs ?

I'm a bit confused........ Don't the LED's produce less usable light than the stock bulbs???

these new leds have ballasts like hids and are suppose to surpass even hids

they also look like they have computer fans to cool them off...

no thank you.
13571506074_a579370beb_b.jpg

for LED's to be anywhere near effective (other than pure looks) the light would have to be designed from the ground up as an entire unit. you're not gonna get a drop in bulb with a reflector designed around a halogen bulb to preform anywhere near as well as a standard bulb.

LED bulbs are great to put in fogs to match them up to HIDs a little better but thats about all they are good for...

13571506074_a579370beb_b.jpg

they also look like they have computer fans to cool them off...

no thank you.
View attachment 828467500

for LED's to be anywhere near effective (other than pure looks) the light would have to be designed from the ground up as an entire unit. you're not gonna get a drop in bulb with a reflector designed around a halogen bulb to preform anywhere near as well as a standard bulb.

LED bulbs are great to put in fogs to match them up to HIDs a little better but thats about all they are good for...

Thanks......

they look great but they're burning out like they are going out of style... had them in my headlights and fogs, couldnt get a bulb to last longer than 6-10 months until i bought a cheap set of HIDs and LEDs.

and I have personally seen a couple of other cars (different manufactures have the same issue), it seems that most forums see and hear the same...

for twice the price, I expect them to last longer than standard cheaper bulbs, not a fraction of the time.

Members online

Back