Chime Delete

3.9-LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to get rid of the stupid chime? I don't need any noises to remind me of something.

The chime is inside the cluster. It should be possible to disassemble the cluster and unsolder the chime unit, but the only one that I know of that tried it damaged his cluster and had to replace it.

that can be disabled.... FYI, I dont, but i know a few that have.

Whenever one doesn't wear their seat belt.......

There is a setting to turn that off (not the initial chime when you start up, but the one that repeats every so often afterward).

It also does it anytime the door is open. And when the check charging system light comes on.

It also does it anytime the door is open. And when the check charging system light comes on.

Oh..... That's easy.... Close the door. Replace the alternator.

Seriously on the door. If you're leaving it open for an extended period of time while you're working on something, get a screwdriver and trip the door latch. Just be sure to pull the door handle before trying to shut the door.

I still can't stand that chime. I just put a brand new Alternator on. I guess I learned the hard way that one from Advance will cause problems. It charges fine though. I have never needed to jump start it.

I still can't stand that chime. I just put a brand new Alternator on. I guess I learned the hard way that one from Advance will cause problems. It charges fine though. I have never needed to jump start it.

It's been noted here repeatedly that for the gen I LS, the OEM (Motorcraft) is just about the only working alternator. Be warned that your aftermarket may be damaging your battery even though it seems okay right now. The problem seems to be that the gen I alternator uses an unusual control scheme that no other alternator brand seems to understand.

Oh..... That's easy.... Close the door. Replace the alternator.

Seriously on the door. If you're leaving it open for an extended period of time while you're working on something, get a screwdriver and trip the door latch. Just be sure to pull the door handle before trying to shut the door.

+1

It's been noted here repeatedly that for the gen I LS, the OEM (Motorcraft) is just about the only working alternator. Be warned that your aftermarket may be damaging your battery even though it seems okay right now. The problem seems to be that the gen I alternator uses an unusual control scheme that no other alternator brand seems to understand.

That's why my voltage is all over the place? I was just looking at my voltage to other day, wit my mutimeter and was trying to figure out why my voltage was at 13.5 then 14.6 then 13.2 and so fourth and so on. Whelp time to to buy OEM

I actually put a few pieces of gorilla duct tape over the lil chime inside the cluster when I took it apart to change over to the blue LED's and it muffled it big time u can still hear it very lightly but not as loud as before actually tolerable now

Disable (mute) the cluster chime? ... and miss out on the ever so popular "mystery" beep
icon6.png

when the transmission recalculates? ... LOL that's the fun part about the LS.

OPTIONS:

1) Go all out and open the cluster (at your own risk of course) and trace the + / - leads (tracks) to the chime itself,
rather than sticking a screwdriver through it or take some pliers to it ((like some have)with disastrous end results),
attempt to gracefully desolder it's connections from the back of the board. Once removed, this will leave an open
in the circuit and should really not be left like this, instead opt to run some small leads from the + / - to a red LED,
which you could run down to pretty much any place your little heart desires. ie: near ignition or to the shifter console.
- Think of this as how a hearing impaired vehicle might be set up. Instead of and audible alert the operator receives a visual instead.
- swap chime for lamp. Naturally ensure correct voltage and impedance and don't make a mess of the delicate cluster PCB.
^ I have not done anything like this myself, am just thinking out loud and you're on your own risk by attempting such. GL.

Pic of annoying chime on cluster:

2mgjk80.jpg

2) Settle for just disabling the Fasten Seat Belt enable/disable, "Belt minder chime" option.

The Belt Minder feature is a supplemental warning to the safety belt
warning function. This feature provides additional reminders to the
driver that the driver’s safety belt is unbuckled by intermittently
sounding a chime and illuminating the safety belt warning lamp in the
instrument cluster

The Belt Minder feature can be deactivated/activated by performing the following procedure:

Before following the procedure, make sure that:

- the parking brake is set
- the gearshift is in P (Park) (automatic transmission) or the neutral position (manual transmission).
- the ignition switch is in the OFF position
- all vehicle doors are closed
- the driver’s safety belt is unbuckled
- the parklamps/headlamps are in OFF position (If vehicle is equipped with Autolamps, this will not affect the procedure.)

To reduce the risk of injury, do not deactivate/activate the Belt Minder feature while driving the vehicle.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (or ON) position. (DO NOT START THE ENGINE)

2. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off. (Approximately 1–2 minutes)

- Steps 3–5 must be completed within 60 seconds or the procedure will have to be repeated.

3. Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled.

4. Turn on the parklamps/headlamps, turn off the parklamps/headlamps.

5. Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled.

- After step 5 the safety belt warning light will be turned on for three seconds.

6. Within seven seconds of the safety belt warning light turning off, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt.
- This will disable Belt Minder if it is currently enabled, or enable Belt Minder if it is currently disabled.

7. Confirmation of disabling Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light four times per second for three seconds.

8. Confirmation of enabling Belt Minder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light four times per second for three seconds,
followed by three seconds with the safety belt warning light off, then followed by flashing the safety belt warning light four times
per second for three seconds again.

9. After receiving confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete.

Also noted, should be the following:

- Lock Chirp ON/OFF ... but that's not an interior chime.

- Try holding down the UNLOCK or LOCK buttons on your key FOB for longer than 4sec. and watch the magic happen!
^ Be sure your moonroof slider guides are in good working order before attempting this or they'll get damaged ... Ask me how I know!

Fun times :steering

2mgjk80.jpg

...Disable (mute) the cluster chime? ... and miss out on the ever so popular "mystery" beep when the transmission recalculates? ...

Actually, the mystery beeps can be (and are) caused by far more than just transmission issues. A few other popular causes are: fuel level sensors, data bus glitches, bulb minder glitches, and probably a dozen other causes.

To get rid of the seat belt warning, couldn't you just cut or unplug the wires going to the seatbelt receiver?

more likely, you'll need to short out the connection, the circuit probably needs to be closed instead of being interrupted.

more likely, you'll need to short out the connection, the circuit probably needs to be closed instead of being interrupted.

It would probably require some resistance in the circuit. But I wouldn't mess with any of the restraint systems.

I dont know why anyone would mess with it when they could just turn it off...

personally, I've seen bad accidents, I'll just wear the belt.

To get rid of the seat belt warning, couldn't you just cut or unplug the wires going to the seatbelt receiver?

Sure. The unintended result would be that the RCM (restraints module) would think that you were wearing your seat belt when you weren't. In the event of a major crash, it would use the seat belt on strategy to deploy the airbags instead of the seat belt off strategy. The result of that would likely be that you would be more injured than you might otherwise be.

Best option: Wear your seat belt. (Just yesterday, a kid at one of the schools here was killed in a crash. The car had minor damage, but he was ejected. He wasn't wearing his seat belt. It seems so pointless.)

Next option: disable the reminder warning.

Worst option: alter the wiring to trick the RCM into thinking the seat belt is being worn when it isn't.

With my gen 1 I was able to just unplug the harness right next to the seat belt clicker. Doesn't work with gen 2 though.

I always wear my seatbelt on the highway. I added all new seatbelts to my Camaro. I even have a fire suit and a Simpson Helmet. I just don't see the need of wearing a seatbelt when I'm cruising the neighborhood at less than 30mph.

because even you only going 30 doesn't really matter when a three ton hunk of soccer mom steel runs into you doing 70 because she is texting and running late somewhere...

just saying, if you knew what would happen when, there wouldn't be accidents.

Actually, the mystery beeps can be (and are) caused by far more than just transmission issues. A few other popular causes are: fuel level sensors, data bus glitches, bulb minder glitches, and probably a dozen other causes.

A faulty trunk switch will cause a mystery beep too. It loses contact for a brief second and barely flashes on the info screen.

Members online

Back