Front Crank Seal - Anyone Have Expirance With This?

webby88

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I am midway into repairing a bad leak in my '02 LS v6 valve covers when I noticed quite a bit of oil spray around the crank pully. A little research tells me that it is not to complicated of a repair.

A new seal from the dealer is around $9.

Question is what does it take to get it done? Which tools are needed?

Anyone who has done this before care to share any insights on how to go about it?

I haven't done this on an LS, and I don't have a V6 LS, but...

I have replaced the crank seal on my V6 Ranger. If I remember correctly, I used a strap wrench, an impact wrench, a torque wrench, and a damper puller. I didn't have the seal install tool, so I made one out of some plywood, the crank bolt, and a big washer. It wasn't too difficult, but I had the radiator out and there was a lot of room to work under the hood of the Ranger.
Use the impact wrench to remove the crank bolt. Don't use it to reinstall it. Use the strap wrench to hold the damper while tightening the damper bolt with a torque wrench.

I haven't done this on an LS, and I don't have a V6 LS, but...

I have replaced the crank seal on my V6 Ranger. If I remember correctly, I used a strap wrench, an impact wrench, a torque wrench, and a damper puller. I didn't have the seal install tool, so I made one out of some plywood, the crank bolt, and a big washer. It wasn't too difficult, but I had the radiator out and there was a lot of room to work under the hood of the Ranger.
Use the impact wrench to remove the crank bolt. Don't use it to reinstall it. Use the strap wrench to hold the damper while tightening the damper bolt with a torque wrench.

Thanks, I have done one before a Jeep. I am looking for some info on doing on this LS, I don't intend on removing anything I don't have too including the coolant hoses etc. not looking for too much extra work :).

I just replaced the crank pulley on my 02 V6, there is room without taking everything out, but it is tight. I rented a three arm pulley puller from Autozone. You do have to have to open up the cooling system and at least remove the secondary air bracket and solenoid thingy. It's not too bad a job, but can be frustrating.

I just replaced the crank pulley on my 02 V6, there is room without taking everything out, but it is tight. I rented a three arm pulley puller from Autozone. You do have to have to open up the cooling system and at least remove the secondary air bracket and solenoid thingy. It's not too bad a job, but can be frustrating.

I have the entire intake manifold off and cannot see the crank clearly, I have the cooling hoses coming from the top of the radiator and the hoses coming out of the top of the block that are in the way. What exactly is the 'secondary cooling bracket'? Also, I tried looking at it from beneath the engine and that is definitely a no-go... :(

Also, is this: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...-26b8?itemIdentifier=532440&_requestid=567479 the puller you rented?

No, that puller wont work, there aren't any holes to screw into, this is the one,puller, to use the puller, remove the bolt on the crank pulley and then remove the large washer between the bolt and crank pulley, and then put the bolt back in so the puller has something to push back on. The secondary AIR is that solenoid and valve right in front of the crank pulley, I believe it is a 21mm nut that holds the vavle to the AIR tubing

No, that puller wont work, there aren't any holes to screw into, this is the one,puller, to use the puller, remove the bolt on the crank pulley and then remove the large washer between the bolt and crank pulley, and then put the bolt back in so the puller has something to push back on. The secondary AIR is that solenoid and valve right in front of the crank pulley, I believe it is a 21mm nut that holds the vavle to the AIR tubing

Aha, got it. And there is enough clearance between the pulley and the radiator?

Members online

Back