Hello! I'm new. Also my LS wont run once in drive.

Tofuball

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello! I bought this 02 Lincoln LS (V6, Auto, 110K miles) about a month ago, runs fantastic, very smooth. Until today.

When I went to start the car today the car idled horrid and the exhaust smelled terrible
Shifting into drive causes the engine to stall entirely.
CEL came on and I pulled the following codes:
P0301 - Cyl 1 Misfire
P0304 - Cyl 4 Misfire
PENDING P0133 - O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

I figured I'd ask the experts before tearing anything apart.
Anything common on these cars that would cause both Cyl 1 and Cyl 4 to stop working at the same time?

The coils have already all been replaced.
It rained an insane amount yesterday (maybe that's related?)

Last edited:
The windshield cowl leak after time. Water can get into coils. Are all the plastic rivets for the cowl installed? It also leaks through the holes for the windshield wiper arms. Maybe something in the engine compartment got wet. Good Luck

The rubber seals of the coils might not properly be seated or snug. I used to have a constant misfire on cyl 6 whenever it rained a good amount until I replaced it. I think your problem is very well moisture related and would double check the seals and that they are genuine motorcraft replacements!

It rained an insane amount yesterday (maybe that's related?)

this is probably your problem, as mentioned, the LS has a common problem of leaking water onto the motor, water getting into the plug wells will cause a terrible misfire until it is dried up. hopefull the motor wasn't ran too long in this condition or you will be adding new catalytic converters to the repair bill.

Pull coil covers dry out the spark plug wells get some gasket maker, lift the coil wires where the enter the cover and put some gasket maker in the seat then press wires into the seat and place some on top of the wires then take the covers and put a line around the rubber seal you can do the whole seam or put it just pass half. Replace and tighten work like a charm for me. No more water no more dirt. In the rear plug wells. Problem solved.

this is probably your problem, as mentioned, the LS has a common problem of leaking water onto the motor, water getting into the plug wells will cause a terrible misfire until it is dried up. hopefull the motor wasn't ran too long in this condition or you will be adding new catalytic converters to the repair bill.

Catalytic converters? Just cut em out. Who needs em? :shifty:

Catalytic converters? Just cut em out. Who needs em? :shifty:

well that may or may not be how I fixed mine on the 2nd gen when I had to(ok ok, I chose to...) drive an extra two miles to get where I was going when I had a coil completely fail :shifty:

but when the body shop guy power washed my motor on the 1st gen before returning it to me, I drove it away, and noticed it ran like ****, took it right back and the their guy that tested it must have drove it a little too far with that flashing CEL... they paid. A lot.

No coil covers on the V6.

exactly!!

which is why you never powerwash the motor of a V6 LS unless it has plenty of time to dry.

Getting to cyl 4 was easy. No more P0304 code!
Getting to cyl 1 does not look fun.

Three new Motorcraft plugs and coils, and some sealer to hopefully keep this from happening again!

10298187_10203087428659241_6072110168997595694_o.jpg

Runs nice and smooth now :)

10298187_10203087428659241_6072110168997595694_o.jpg

Members online

Back