is there anyone here that loves the quiet stock sound of the LS over loud exhuasts?

I'm used to mustangs but appreciate the quietness of the lincoln. I wouldn't mind if it had a stock mild rumble like the new g35/g37's though. That being said, I have looked into changing the exhaust, but only because I would like to help the engine breathe better. On this car, the only thing I want to make louder is the intake. A nice intake gives that performance sound that only the people in the car can hear. Much more subtle. Ultimately, it's a lincoln and I think that loud exhaust usually takes away from the luxury and class of a "luxury" car. I do love the rumble of a V8 though and some of the cars here make me want to reconsider my choice.

I'm used to mustangs but appreciate the quietness of the lincoln. I wouldn't mind if it had a stock mild rumble like the new g35/g37's though. That being said, I have looked into changing the exhaust, but only because I would like to help the engine breathe better. On this car, the only thing I want to make louder is the intake. A nice intake gives that performance sound that only the people in the car can hear. Much more subtle. Ultimately, it's a lincoln and I think that loud exhaust usually takes away from the luxury and class of a "luxury" car. I do love the rumble of a V8 though and some of the cars here make me want to reconsider my choice.

Don't drive an Aston Martin, Ferrari, or Maserati then. ;)

Yes, if anything there are times I wish it were a little quieter.

I like a quiet, smooth car that takes turns on a rail. Oh yeah, the LS!

I think the Ls has the perfect sound , quiet because its a luxury sedan and a nice roar when you step on it because its a v8 (small v8 but a v8 nonetheless)

This one has had me troubled actually... my cats are not so healthy, I just shifted to a non-smog county tags, and I have always loved the sound of a deep throaty v8.
I also really enjoy how my luxury car doesn't sound like the truck I had when I was a teenager...
I have heard an x-piped magna flow catted flowmaster super44 with resonator delete LS and actually really liked the sound.
Just wish I could flip that sound on and off depending on my mood for that day.
Probably going to end up going with that route in the end (it does sound good)
Or I could leave the LS quiet and just get a MK8 that's real loud.

This one has had me troubled actually... my cats are not so healthy, I just shifted to a non-smog county tags, and I have always loved the sound of a deep throaty v8.
I also really enjoy how my luxury car doesn't sound like the truck I had when I was a teenager...
I have heard an x-piped magna flow catted flowmaster super44 with resonator delete LS and actually really liked the sound.
Just wish I could flip that sound on and off depending on my mood for that day.
Probably going to end up going with that route in the end (it does sound good)
Or I could leave the LS quiet and just get a MK8 that's real loud.

go for electric cutouts then, you can open them for a loud exhaust and close them for a stock sound

I love a quiet exhaust but a throaty roar when you get into it!

Last edited:
I love a quite exhaust but a throaty roar when you get into it!

Just so you know, "quite" and "quiet" are not at all the same.

I quite like that my LS has a quiet exhaust.

I just re-installed back the OEM intake because we just didn't much care for the intake roar of the K&N CAI. In addition, we regained 2 mpg; must be due to our driving/traffic area. I do however like the quiet rumble of the V8 when idling (OEM exhaust).

If wanted quiet I would buy a prius.

There is a nice roar that can make these cars sound as good as they look, but it is not just based on volume. If can't just be loud like straight pipes without cats, that's a loud without a nice tone to it. I had flowmasters before, they had a nice rumble at idle but when you got on it, you could ear nasty popping and such. Then I also had borlas on and they have a nice tone to them, but not nearly loud enough. The magnaflows sounded very nice, has a nice euro sports sound, and although a little louder than the borlas, they still needed more volume. Bassani mufflers were the best of both worlds, great tone, a little throaty but not too much like a muscle car, but with good volume, enough to be heard and get double looks but not loud to be annoying.

I like it they way it is. I also have a K&N intake in it and when you give it a lot of throttle I has a throaty sound but just not loud. It's true what was said, that it takes away from it being a more classy car. I also think sometimes it makes it seem fake from a bystander's point of view. Cause you turn to see some muscle car and don't and could think it's just noise for show but they don't have anything. That's the best I can explain what I saw once, ha.

LS grass.jpg

I like my LS quiet. I enjoy the peaceful ride, and great sounds of the radio after a hard day at work. :)

I am not sure that on my Gen II if a low restriction exhaust will do much other than make her louder. I like it nice and quiet on the inside. If I want to drive something with a loud exhaust, I can just jump into my RX7 which has a warmed over n/a 13B rotary with a header and a low restriction exhaust - now that is loud and it has a nasty drone/resonance as well. I had to add 14 lbs of sound deadening in the hatch area just to make is livable on the highway. If I wanted a "executive" sedan with a loud exhaust, I would have gotten a Pontiac G8 GT or GXP

Don't drive an Aston Martin, Ferrari, or Maserati then. ;)

Sports cars should have a nice sounding exhaust. I have a 69 mustang. I love a loud muscle car. The Maserati Quattro has a mellow stock exhaust. I wouldn't mind that on the LS. nothing louder though.

........I also think sometimes it makes it seem fake from a bystander's point of view. Cause you turn to see some muscle car and don't and could think it's just noise for show but they don't have anything..........

Like when some backwards-hat guy pulls up in his Civic with the 4" fart can. The engine is screaming away and one can walk faster than he's accelerating!!!

Like when some backwards-hat guy pulls up in his Civic with the 4" fart can. The engine is screaming away and one can walk faster than he's accelerating!!!

there pretty much an unwritten rule around these parts...

if your car has has a loud exhaust, then it better be able to quiet (AKA far away) real fast!

nothing is worse than a car that floors it and is stupid loud but doesn't get any quieter for the three or four minutes it takes him to get a mile down the road...

I don't mind the purr and growl of my stock exhaust, but if I have to start replacing I think I'd go with magna w/ the x-pipe. I haven't heard all the examples available though...what Alax talked about sounds intriguing.

The LS deserves some thought when deciding on exhaust note.

I love how quiet my LS is compared to my old car. I had a 1982 z28 Camaro. If you drove it for more than 20 minutes your ears would be ringing for the next 2 hours.

I'd like my wife's '03 LS8 to be a little louder, but she say's "don't mess with it. I like it the way it is".

Members online

Back