What's the 'E' stand for

Papa Alpha

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have an '02 LS'E'. I asked the Form mechanic what the difference was between the LS and the LSE.....know what he said? Yup,"The 'E'". Is this just a Canadian version of the V8 'sport'? I's a 3.9L V-8.
I did not think I would ever own a car that I loved as much as the SHO I traded in....but this car is GREAT!!

Your mechanic is a moron, and no, the LSE is not special to Canada. It was available in the US too. You are correct that the LSE is basically a sport model, but it adds some special equipment:

From the 2002 LS Ordering Guide:

NEW ARRAYS
Lincoln LSE Array (available on V6 Auto, V6 Manual and V8
Auto)
This array was created in response to dealer and consumer
requests for a more individual, aggressively styled, modified
sport appearance LS.
Start with Sport array content and add:
• Standard 17" aluminum, 5-spoke, two-tone Blade Grey
wheels
• Optional 17" aluminum, 5-spoke, Chrome Wheels (64C)
• Modified upper grille: Blade Grey with color-keyed upper
trim piece
• Modified front fascia: unique fascia with round fog lamps
• Unique side rocker panels: color-keyed
• Unique rear valence: color-keyed
• Dual stainless steel exhaust tips
• Rear license plate surround: color-keyed
• LSE badge
• LSE floormats

Available Colors and Trim:
• Black Clearcoat (UA) with Light Graphite (42) and Deep
Charcoal (4W) trim
• Silver Birch Clearcoat (JP) with Light Graphite (42) and
Deep Charcoal (4W) trim

i dont think the original poster was saying that the mechanic said the lse was the canadian version. i believe the mechanic was just saying that the difference was simply the "E." i hope he meant that as a joke though. if not, id agree with gt95 and suggest you find a new mechanic.

Lincoln LS (for "Luxury Sport")

In 2002, the LSE (Special Edition) package was introduced in V6 and V8 versions, with a revised facia including round fog lamp openings and a special metallic grille treatment, and with enlarged lower body rocker panels, special wheels, and twin-dual exhaust tailpipes.

Thats Nothing one of the guys i used to work with when i was a mech head told a couple people it stood for Enzo like Ferrari. He used to tell people it was a Ferrari tuned LS and the engine was designed by Ferrari with the low displacement.

Does the E stand for anything?

Well placed sources say its a marketing thing. LSE sounded good to the marketing division. That's how it came to be the LSE since LSC was already used in the Mark VIII line.

Well placed sources say its a marketing thing. LSE sounded good to the marketing division. That's how it came to be the LSE since LSC was already used in the Mark VIII line.

LSC->LSE? They skipped LSD :D

whats the E stand for

I consider myself one of the lucky ones, I own a 2002 Lincoln LSE. I do know for a fact that they are very hard to locate and even harder to get the correct parts for, as they are so closely related to the Ford Thunderbirds and the Jaguar. As they share the same engines and power train, and a lot of many other parts, that will not fit the standard Lincoln LS's. I will never forget my first oil change that I done on my LSE, first of all the oil filter was wrong, and after going back to get a different one of those, by the way they gave me three different ones to try, then to find out from the mechanic that I needed 2 more quarts of oil and also had a oil cooler. Mine is the Silver Birch Edition. I just consider my self one of the lucky ones. Doe's anyone know how many were made of these car's? I am interested to know. I had owned a 2000 LS edition of a standard Lincoln, I must say that the LSE edition just is a very special car, I do know that my LSE out performs the LS edition three to one over the plain LS. Is faster and the handling is overwhelming over the plain edition. I just love the look of the LSE, it is lower and is like driving a true American sports car. I will take mine any day over a BMW. As far as the upkeep on the LSE over the LS, the LSE has much less problems than my LS did. It is just plainly built better than the LS editions were. Even though they may share many parts and components their just not the same car at all. And the E in my car stands for "EVERYTHING">>>> you every wanted in a car. Just glad I got one of these EVERYTHINGS!!!!!! And the "E" stands for Edition.

Last edited:
I had owned a 2000 LS edition of a standard Lincoln
if you want anybody to understand what you are talking about, call it what it is... 2000 Lincoln LS, base model

I do know that my LSE out performs the LS edition three to one over the plain LS.
then you base LS had major problems, because the LSE is just an appearance package over the sport, and the sport just has a little stiffer shock and stabilizer bar, a fancy shifter (the trans itself is the same), and an oil cooler compared to the base model. hell an 06 V8 doesn't outperform a 2000 base model V6

Is faster and the handling is overwhelming over the plain edition.
LSE's are not a single bit faster than base models, yes they handel a little better due to the sport shock, but if you think the difference is overwhelmingly different, then your last LS had major problem that should have been fixed

the LSE has much less problems than my LS did. It is just plainly built better than the LS editions were.
this is ridiculous, they were built on the same line, the same way, with the same parts. neither is built "better" than the other, there is only how well you car was maintained.

Even though they may share many parts and components their just not the same car at all.
it really is... totally the same.

Wow. talk about raising a thread from the dead

And being TOTALLY WRONG in his analysis!! Just like the LS (according to the Lincoln suits as they were supposed to be LS6 and LS8; another story) doesn't really stand for anything, neither does the E in LSE.

There were many, many cars that used "LS" as a trim package. We had 4 Sable LS's.

Speaking purely for myself,i'm glad the poster from 'bimble' is happy with his car. Isn't that what it's all about?

KS

I have a 02 sport but it came in deep wedge wood blue. But none off the opinion I read is color keyed. What gives.

image.jpg

hell an 06 V8 doesn't outperform a 2000 base model V6

What you talkin' Willis?

I guess 210hp outperforms 280hp....... Torque numbers are even worse, 286ftlb vs. 205ftlb....... All in cars that weigh the same. I have both a 2000 V6 and a 2006 in my garage. There's NO WAY in this dimension the V6 comes anywhere near the V8!!!!

actually sorry about that guys, I originally typed out "3/1" at the end of that sentence, but my spell checker gave me something weird and I just ended up hitting delete and forgot to go back to it...

noticed it a little later but it must have been too long because the edit function is no longer present. (also didn't even know that was a thing)

clarification: yes any 2nd gen V8 will outperform a 1st gen base V6, but it will not outperform it by a margin of three to one. the power is nice and will help pull away a bit in racing situations, but the V6 will handle pretty damn close with just a bit more body roll.

actually sorry about that guys, I originally typed out "3/1" at the end of that sentence, but my spell checker gave me something weird and I just ended up hitting delete and forgot to go back to it...

noticed it a little later but it must have been too long because the edit function is no longer present. (also didn't even know that was a thing)

clarification: yes any 2nd gen V8 will outperform a 1st gen base V6, but it will not outperform it by a margin of three to one. the power is nice and will help pull away a bit in racing situations, but the V6 will handle pretty damn close with just a bit more body roll.

I wholly agree with your clarification. As a matter of fact, I could see the V6 outperforming the 1st Gen V8 in the tight stuff due to better balance. And a V6 with Sport options more likely.

ive raced a handful of LSs with my 05 v6 (the top of the 'v6 line' model). i dont believe i have ever encountered a gen 1 manual, but a couple gen 1 v6 autos have popped up and i beat both. one was some guy that worked in the office tower next door, we ran a 2 mile straight line and were caught by 3 or 4 lights. he couldnt hang at all and he didnt want to drop his window to talk about it..
the other car was just about a qtr mile straight line.. i made the next traffic light, he didnt, that was that.

raced a handful of gen i v8s in all sorts of situations and have yet to find one that could do anything more than keep up in a straight line for 1 mile... one guy ran with me for about a mile and a half+ in a straight line and we both topped out around 140 and neither 'lost' the other. we went back and forth until we eclipsed about 130 when i started slowly pulling away until he let off. i dont know when he let off but when we stopped at the next light he indicated that he let off bc he 'didnt feel safe'. before we hit the light we kept it neck and neck around 90 when he punched it again and it was the same story: when i got passed him by about a car length at about 130 or so and was slowly getting away he just quit. fwiw, the gen 2 v6 fuel pump tops out btwn 135-140 depending on conditions, i dont know if his pump would have kept him going or not

in another notable experience i met a gen i v8 on a three lane road around 8PM on a clear summer day, there was not enough traffic to stop us from weaving in and around and having fun taking the winding turns of the road, which follows a river. that guy didnt hang well at all and when i got off that road and onto a twisted country road he followed me and fared even worse there. could have been that i knew the roads and drove a bit more fearlessly but he did chase for about 3 miles until he started disappearing. i slowed down to wait for him but i think he turned around bc he never did catch up to me.

no clue what kinda shape these cars were in, but from driving a whole bunch of ls's over the yrs i would put a small sum of money on a gen ii v6 over a gen i v8 in anything other than a 3/4-1 mile drag (i wouldnt bother putting money there at all bc its a crapshoot based on the driver and state of maintenance)

Heck I was just racing a gen 2 v6 the other day in my gen1 v8 and needless to say I ate that young street punk alive. Pulled over waited till I seen him and sold him BBQ ass for top dollar, told him the seasoning was call that's yo ass.

But what he didn't know was I stay under the hood of mines fixing replacing and swapping out old parts for new, plus I have the sst shift procedures down to a science. And have learned through trail and error how to get the most out of each shift, how soon I can shift to get or squeeze the little bit of extra pull that gives "blueberry yum yum" ( yes that's her name ) that edge. So up keep plays a big role on a 12 year old vehicle and I'm right the 200 thousand mark by under 200 miles car was bought used 3 years ago and I have spent a lot getting the motor and trans right.

Hmmmm..... 252hp and 267ftlb vs. 232hp and 220ftlb in the same weight vehicle......

My money's on the V8 every day of the week!!

Members online

No members online now.
Back