Front Wheels shake with new brake pads and turned rotors when applying brakes?

Tony, maybe so but that means you maintained the brakes BEFORE they caused and issue with the rotorsa and you are not trying to repair a turned rotor which is now thinner than it was.

Machining a rotor was to try to save them in the day when things were made properly and robust. There was material there to machine and the organic brake pad material did not create as much heat as the newer materials we are now using. Things change and we need to adapt. Rotors are now made to be throw away for the most part.

I look at rotors being a consumable now with the price of them and experiencing this very issue that is here in this thread. Do it once and not look back. If I ran my rotors to the point of hearing the metal on metal sound then they get replaced. If I manage to catch my brakes before that point I will see once I inspect if it is worth doing a pad slap. Really for the cost of a plain old rotor swap them out and be done and they have a warranty as well!!

wha???? 30 years of driving, never replaced a rotor? :shifty:
Longer than that, I didn't want to sound real old. When pads are 1/2 worn or more, I change them. How do I know when their worn? I service all my cars all the time.

How about this situation and I am not saying it is this in the case of this thread.

Said auto has the rotors machined and then installed with new pad. Car is then driven a few miles and brakes are applied numerous times on the first application there was no feel of vibration and then the next two applications of the brake pedal no vibration. Auto is parked until next day after 24 hrs rest and then driven. First application of brakes a slight vibration is felt and then on every application after that the vibration gets worse.

Question is to you is this runout? Because if it is runout I would like to know how that happened to my personal auto as I did machine the rotors and they warped with heat because they were approaching the lower limit of thickness that means crap. The thinner they get the less stable they get to absorb and dissipate the heat generated hence warping.

Do not go back in the corner but look for alternative reasons. I can see machining in runout as it happens all the time.

Sapper, be nice everyone gets to play in the sandbox!!

Exactly What happened, but car sat for a year.

Members online

Back