Larger tires in the back?

DaveLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, soon I will have to change my winter tires for summer tires and I was wondering, since the ls is a propulsion, if I could benefit putting larger tires on the rear axle and thinner in the front (235 in the back and 225 in the front per example) or it doesn't change a thing? Also I was wondering what is the ``limit`` of difference of width that I could have on the front and rear axle (if its recommended of course). Thanks!

Hey guys, soon I will have to change my winter tires for summer tires and I was wondering, since the ls is a propulsion, if I could benefit putting larger tires on the rear axle and thinner in the front (235 in the back and 225 in the front per example) or it doesn't change a thing? Also I was wondering what is the ``limit`` of difference of width that I could have on the front and rear axle (if its recommended of course). Thanks!

Thats a small difference...I have 245 40 fronts...255 40 backs..Corners better..looks better..some have wider..depends on your rims offset...mine is +40 on 18" rims.

Im running 245 45 17 in front and 255 45 17 in the back , they look good and it definitely turns better

Yes..I bet you are getting a softer ride than mine.with a smaller rim and a taller tire..I was going to put 255 on front...but might have rubbing issues..??

well I can feel the bumps more because i went from 50 to 45 but yea probably a softer ride than yours, what size rims are your running ?

Yes..I bet you are getting a softer ride than mine.with a smaller rim and a taller tire..I was going to put 255 on front...but might have rubbing issues..??

my bad didnt see you had the info here , I woudlnt go for a 255 tire in the front because it will most likely rub or be really close and then hit when you hit a bump or something

wider is almost always better!

I would go with as wide as you possible could fit.

you almost always need a skinnier tire up front because of the wheel turning.

and dont forget, having different sized tires front to back means that you cant properly rotate your tires...

Oh and btw Should I go with 55 50 or 45 for the smoothest ride possible?

most likely you ll have to go 225 55 16 fronts and 235 55 16 in the rear

oh yes my bad , was suppose to be a 16, depends on the tire for the 245 , some are wider than others

Alright thanks. I live in montreal and theres is A LOT of potholes so would you suggest me 55 50 or 45 for the best ride possible ( i don't know the exact name of that measurement )

I dropped from 50 to 45 , so i would suggest a 60 to 55 drop , i have the same problems with potholes here in Chicago

46578160.jpg

thanks, 235 55 16 is the literally the same as the stock 215 60 16 size , he should go with these all around

Personally myself, I would suggest keeping same size tires all around, rotate front to back halfway through the seasons for even wear.
Then opposite seasons have the tires remounted as to run the insides off thereby stretching your tire budget.

Haha dude I never been to chicago but If I can give you a little advise, before you go in montreal you better have a garage address in case your suspension gives out on youimage.jpg

image.jpg

wider is almost always better!

I would go with as wide as you possible could fit...having different sized tires front to back means that you cant properly rotate your tires...

Beyond that, if you want to milk your tires for all you can get out of them, opt for an OMNIdirectional tire and not a UNIdirectional. This way you can obviously rotate your fronts to the opposite corners each time you rotate/balance them, while you move the rears straight up front.

Members online

Back