how to tell which rear bearing is bad?

turn_on68

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have I'm pretty sure a bad rear bearing. I can't tell which side driving it. I can't say it's a howl,and it's almost quiet at highway speed. Anyone know if you jack it up if you can turn the rear tire and if it will make noise with no real weight on it? I guess you could put it on jack stands and put it in gear? Would that work to duplicate the noise? Can the rear differential make this noise it the gear oil is old or low?

Normally gears will howl if bad,

Lift the rear wheels and grab the tire at 6/12o'clock and push/pull. There should be NO wiggle. Then place one of your hands on the control arm and spin the wheel, should feel smooth

Have a friend drive slow while you walk along side the vehicle. Listen for where the sound is coming from.

The best way to tell bad wheel bearing is FEEL. On spring cars its real easy to tell. Put hand on coil spring and then spin tire. The spring acts as a tuning fork and amplifies the rough feeling. Like mentioned above put hand on control arm and spin tire to feel. Do both sides and then you will get the feeling thing. (good vs bad) Also bad wheel bearings can still feel tight and be bad.

Lean out the window to listen while someone else drives, 20-30mph was when mine was the loudest. It was pretty easy to tell which side it was doing that.

If it's a howl it's normally gears like someone said. check your diff fluid since it's easy just in case. also the way I learned to check wheel bearings was the method of grabbing the wheel and trying to feel any movement as previously mentioned.

If it's a howl it's normally gears like someone said. check your diff fluid since it's easy just in case. also the way I learned to check wheel bearings was the method of grabbing the wheel and trying to feel any movement as previously mentioned.

I've had many wheel bearings that where bad and there was no slop movement to it.

Put the car in the air, and lower onto jack stands under the LCA . Then go around spinning the wheels, moving them side to side, up/down and diagonally checking the slop.

Is it possible to use a socket that is the same diameter as the bearing and press it out with a huge C clamp?

Theoretically yes, but I would save the headache and just bring it to the machine shop and pay the $20 for them to do it and be done with it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back