8.8 28 Spline IRS trac-loc

98LSC32V

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Can you still buy this new from Ford? I don't want to put the live axle trac-loc in... what are the options for irs specific 28 spline?

Can you still buy this new from Ford? I don't want to put the live axle trac-loc in... what are the options for irs specific 28 spline?

I thought I read all new Ford in box units are made for IRS then they can work for both. You can grind the little taper into the non IRS side gears with a dremel and a stone no biggie.

no, i don't believe the 28 spline track lock is available anymore.

your options include a used unit, a different style of limited slip unit, or the solid axle unit.

my 93 has a solid axle unit, and it appears my 96 does as well. no issues here. i removed the c clips from the half shafts.

I thought I read all new Ford in box units are made for IRS then they can work for both. You can grind the little taper into the non IRS side gears with a dremel and a stone no biggie.

that's probably true, but finding a new one will be difficult. looks like they have been discontinued.

That Steeda is a torsen LSD, which IMO is a much sturdier and heavy duty LSD than the trac-loc system,which I believe uses clutch plates on the outside of the side gears inside of case.

That Steeda is a torsen LSD, which IMO is a much sturdier and heavy duty LSD than the trac-loc system,which I believe uses clutch plates on the outside of the side gears inside of case.

I've gone 11.3's with a Ford 28 spline unit. I did put the upgraded Ford clutches in it, but those where cheap.

been a lot of people with premature wear issues in the Torsen units. and while they may be stronger overall, they have a habit of loosing their torque biasing ability after a while. they changed the metallurgy sometime in the 2000s, as i believe the torsen dif is made by a different company now, and has changed hands a few times. or something.

the fix is a clutch pack rebuild with a track lock, but a much more complex rebuild for a torsen.

Members online

No members online now.
Back