Trailer Hitch?

OntarioLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2001 LS 6cyl, I need to get a trailer hitch and I'm wondering what manufactures people have previously bought trailer hitches from for they're LS?
And also, I live in Canada so if I'm ordering one it has to be able to be shipped up here. Thanks a lot in advance for any feed back!

^ just a billboard sign that reads: "01 LS V6 for sale, needs transmission, make offer"

I was thinking the same as you guys, if you want to tow stuff you need to get a Fleetwood or a Town Car! I don't know about TC's but Fleetwood's can tow 7,000LBS with the factory towing package, 5,000LBS when not.

perhaps he has a small fishing boat and can't just go buy another vehicle to insure.

In just saying a 13 year old car like that with its reliability history is the last car I would choose to tow anything, that's the sacrifice you make for owning such a vehicle, fast and fun to drive, but not very useful at other things.

In just saying a 13 year old car like that ...

Even when it was brand new, the LS was not meant, rated, or designed to tow anything. This is not to say that it can't be done, just that it probably shouldn't be done.

Well I have a dinky little utility trailer and a motocross bike that weighs no more then 250-300lbs and I wouldn't mind rigging something up behind my Ls instead of getting buddies to throw it in the back on they're truck.
Believe me, I'm not hauling no camper behind the thing.

trailer..psshhh

old-wv-beetle-as-funny-kawasaki-trailer-71412-7_zps70255133.gif

According to the owners manual, Sport versions of the V6 and V8 can tow up to 2000 pounds

True of gen I only if the optional trailer towing package is installed (assuming this actually existed). Gen II just says this:

TRAILER TOWING
Your vehicle is not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available
through Ford or Lincoln/Mercury dealers.
Driving

Joe: do you believe this is because they changed something that would not allow the LS to tow anything at all, or because Ford just doesn't offer any "package" for towing on that car?

Joe: do you believe this is because they changed something that would not allow the LS to tow anything at all, or because Ford just doesn't offer any "package" for towing on that car?

I assume that it's just that it was too much trouble for them to stock and offer a trailer towing package on the LS. Probably no one ever ordered one, or hardly ever.

My experience of a trailer-towing package with a Lincoln is that it consisted of a replacement pig-tail that made hooking-up the trailer lights easier. Came in a little box in the trunk. Took me about 15 minutes to install.

KS

I put a nice hitch on my 2003 V-8 Sport but don't think I would do it to a V-6 car.
Came with a nice plug and play harness to so no splicing of any wires for the trailer lights.

I put a nice hitch on my 2003 V-8 Sport but don't think I would do it to a V-6 car.
Came with a nice plug and play harness to so no splicing of any wires for the trailer lights.

Towing ability is based on the chassis, not the engine. The V6 and V8, obviously, share the same underpinnings.

This is the hitch I purchased for my '02. I do not tow with it, it's for my bike rack. http://amzn.com/B000A0W64S

I wrote one of the 2 ratings. CURT is made in USA and is very good quality.

I bought my trailer hitch from hitchweb.com I live in Canada too so shipping was also one of my concerns and they're based in Canada which is great. I think their special is still on too for free shipping over $100. Check em out if you're interested.

Call U-haul, check which store close by has one and if the answer is "none" order a hitch and harness adapter. Drive to uhaul and have the parts installed. Drive away. Warranty included. I have no ties to uhaul. Good luck.

I'd have no problem towing less then 1000-lbs gross weight behind my LS. I believe Ford just didn't offer a towing "pakage" aka hitch and wiring harness.

Hell, by the time you add 3 more people plus all the luggage for a road trip you are probably pushing 5-600 pounds more in an LS anyways.

... Ford just didn't offer a towing "pakage" aka hitch and wiring harness.

Perhaps not but it's wired for it.

... 2001 wiring diagrams and in the trunk there are connectors for tow hook ups already provided.

Wiring Harness overview 100-00-06-1 - ITEM 35 = Trailer tow sub assembly (p/n=13A576)

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

K319 Trailer exterior lamp relay = C424

A201 Trailer tow control unit = C425

E201 Trailer Tow Connector = C439

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Members online

Back