THX sub enclosure question

RJGill84

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've seen mentioned in several threads that there is an "enclosure" for the subwoofers in the rear package tray for the THX system in the LS. I don't have any kind of enclosures around the speakers in the trunk, they're just exposed to the interior of the trunk. Is that correct, or am I missing the enclosures? The bass, even at low level, sounds very distorted at certain frequencies, but phenomenal at others. Thanks for any info guys! Also looking for the latest map if anyone has a plug on that!

there is a carpeted box seperating my rear speakers from the trunk.

I've seen mentioned in several threads that there is an "enclosure" for the subwoofers in the rear package tray for the THX system in the LS. I don't have any kind of enclosures around the speakers in the trunk, they're just exposed to the interior of the trunk. Is that correct, or am I missing the enclosures? The bass, even at low level, sounds very distorted at certain frequencies, but phenomenal at others. Thanks for any info guys! Also looking for the latest map if anyone has a plug on that!

I don't know why, but it appears some have it and some don't. Both my '06's have it.

That's very odd.. how is it attached? Does it look like something that could be added?

On mine it's just a thin fuzzy covered plastic vanity cover held on with the black plastic push pins that hold half the car together. It does nothing for the sound quality unless it's loose. My speaker covers have a plastic ring in them that buzzes on occasion. A dollop of clear silicone will take care of that.

You are probably due for a speaker upgrade.

I don't know why, but it appears some have it and some don't. Both my '06's have it.

My 06 does not have them. I bought it new, so I can safely say that it came this way from the factory.

What would be similar quality speakers for the subs that won't break the bank?

My 2006 had it, and I would have thought that all 2006's would. I know that the early LS' did not have it. Your best bet is to do what many of us already have - disconnect and/or remove the factory 6x8 subs and install a real set of subs in an enclosed box in the trunk. There are several threads on here that will show you what others have successfully done to greatly improve their low-end sound.

"Bass"-ically shared,

Tru

I know that the early LS' did not have it.

Actually, if they had the subs they had the enclosure. The sub/enclosure was de-contented somewhere in '01 or '02 to save weight.

To be honest, I'm satisfied with the low end bass the current speakers have. One just seems to be blown. I definitely have no interest in taking up my trunk with a speaker box, I travel a lot and have kids - need that space back there. I'm just planning to replace the factory speakers, perhaps with a similar type, or even with the factories if I can find them. Any suggestions on aftermarket replacements for the existing speakers?

My '03 with THX/nav has the enclosure. I thought it was more of a cosmetic/protective cover than anything else.

Also looking for the latest map if anyone has a plug on that!

Here's the link to the Navteq site. Unfortunately, they're pretty expensive ($199). They usually cost the same from the dealer. Release 8D (December 2010) is the final version.

Just food for thought to the OP, but I have most of my trunk space with 2 10" subs in a box that was made for the LS' trunk. I can open the trunk floor decking without moving anything. Point is - it is possible to have both sound and space back there.

Members online

Back