LS Performance Chip?

I wish we could swap out our engines with a much higher HP V-tech engine.

Hey, what would happen if you... made the stripe, OUT OF STICKERS!!! Would that be like VTEC power?

vtec-just-kicked-in-yo.jpg

vtec-ad.jpg

I have an ol 'Calvin pissing on a Chevy bowtie" sticker too that should add a lot of 'wow' factor. Classy too.

I don't believe all the hype in some of those performance chips but some do work just not in the full range like they try to lead us to believe. The ones that do work just modify power curves and such which means you will wind up losing drivability or performance somewhere else. They have those for big diesel trucks that are used for specific towing operations.

The ones that do work just modify power curves and such which means you will wind up losing drivability or performance somewhere else.

as the owner of a car with a properly set up chipped PCM, that's absolutely false.

as the owner of a car with a properly set up chipped PCM, that's absolutely false.

Hey Chris, I wasn't actually referring to a chip for the LS as I have never heard of one. I only know of ones that work for other vehicles of the type mentioned in the rest of my post you didn't quote. Please, tell us what you know of a chip that works with the LS and if its setup more for drag racing, road racing, or whatever.

The key words there was "properly set up". A generic chip or program is not properly set up. Properly set up means the car is dyno tuned, then the chip or program is tuned to that specific car.

A truly proper computer tune will run max economy, max performance or max towing without the need to switch profiles manually. The computer is already measuring throttle position, engine load and RPM so can tell if you're cruising, racing or towing. If the computer is correct, the only profile switch you need is the throttle. Transmission tuning is just as important as engine tuning too, just tuning my transmission on my truck made it a hell of a lot faster because I was able to tune the shift points at all throttle points for best performance under heavy throttle, and smooth imperceptible shifting when cruising. If my LS shifted half as smooth when cruising as my truck it would shift like a Lincoln should. Having your own tuning software where you can make unlimited changes IMO is the only way to tune correctly.

I wouldnt doubt technology in the future with millions of dollars or research, could result in better fuel economy and HP, but your not going to get it from something u ziptie to your car.
Wasnt there a product u wrapped around the fuel line to re-align the chemical structure of the gas for better combustion to?
what about that turbo intake piece of metal u installed in the intake to swirl the air for better combustion.

They have been selling snake oil since the dawn of time, and there will always be fools that buy it............hey what about adding snake oil to your gas, there has to be hp to gain there.................

does the LS pcm have a chip port?

so first off, you can't chip an LS.

The ones that do work just modify power curves and such which means you will wind up losing drivability or performance somewhere else.

Hey Chris, I wasn't actually referring to a chip for the LS as I have never heard of one. I only know of ones that work for other vehicles of the type mentioned in the rest of my post you didn't quote. Please, tell us what you know of a chip that works with the LS and if its setup more for drag racing, road racing, or whatever.

i wasn't talking about the LS either. your statement was pretty broad, and it was inaccurate. and modern tuning software means you don't have to pick one application over the other.

The key words there was "properly set up". A generic chip or program is not properly set up. Properly set up means the car is dyno tuned, then the chip or program is tuned to that specific car.

A truly proper computer tune will run max economy, max performance or max towing without the need to switch profiles manually. The computer is already measuring throttle position, engine load and RPM so can tell if you're cruising, racing or towing. If the computer is correct, the only profile switch you need is the throttle. Transmission tuning is just as important as engine tuning too, just tuning my transmission on my truck made it a hell of a lot faster because I was able to tune the shift points at all throttle points for best performance under heavy throttle, and smooth imperceptible shifting when cruising. If my LS shifted half as smooth when cruising as my truck it would shift like a Lincoln should. Having your own tuning software where you can make unlimited changes IMO is the only way to tune correctly.

what telco said. i spoke with my tuner to set up my car to do what i wanted it do, to compensate for mods to the car, shift points where they needed to be, shift schedule to put the car in the power band at the drop of a hat, and so on.
this can all be accomplished without throwing economy in the toilet. isn't technology great?

Well, I think if there was a way to get a computer to run a car efficiently in all phases of operation, Ferrari would be able to put a Formula 1 car out on the street that gets 40 mpg while cruising and still provide 850 HP when you wanted. If anyone could they could but they haven't so they can't. I had my transmission programmed by my cousin so I don't feel any shifts when cruising and I get tire scrub when downshifting manually. That's good enough for me.

a formula 1 car is not street legal for so so so so so many reasons. emissions, safety, bumper height, crumple zones, etc etc etc.
you are simply being unrealistic now. stop.

also, look up the mclaren p1, and the price tag that kind of technology would command.
it is not a financially viable maneuver.

Robot's point is still true.
These things are always a compromise. The factors that somewhat oppose each other are: Power, emissions, economy, drive-ability, and engine life. The automakers have a lot of resources that they expend on getting the best compromise that suits them. They have to meet certain maximum emissions allowances. They have to meet certain fleet wide economy standards (fractions on an MPG count). After that, they need good engine life and good drive-ability. Lastly, they get as much power out as they can.

People who go out and "tune" these after the fact change the compromise. They don't just make anything a little better without making something else a little worse. You may not notice the 0.2 mpg worse mileage, or maybe you don't notice that the emissions went up 1 and a half times. Maybe the drive-ability is good in your environment, but it might not be so good if you move to somewhere else. As for engine life, you'll probably never know for sure if that was shortened some. If your tune gives you more power, then you got worse on one or more of the other four things, maybe not enough that you can notice, but it did happen. Otherwise, the automakers would pay millions for the secret to your new tune.

Robot's point is still true.
These things are always a compromise. The factors that somewhat oppose each other are: Power, emissions, economy, drive-ability, and engine life. The automakers have a lot of resources that they expend on getting the best compromise that suits them. They have to meet certain maximum emissions allowances. They have to meet certain fleet wide economy standards (fractions on an MPG count). After that, they need good engine life and good drive-ability. Lastly, they get as much power out as they can.

People who go out and "tune" these after the fact change the compromise. They don't just make anything a little better without making something else a little worse. You may not notice the 0.2 mpg worse mileage, or maybe you don't notice that the emissions went up 1 and a half times. Maybe the drive-ability is good in your environment, but it might not be so good if you move to somewhere else. As for engine life, you'll probably never know for sure if that was shortened some. If your tune gives you more power, then you got worse on one or more of the other four things, maybe not enough that you can notice, but it did happen. Otherwise, the automakers would pay millions for the secret to your new tune.

Thanks Joe. I will admit my example was quite extreme to make my point clear.

Not quite, Robot. The programing can make the most of what you have, but it can't overcome hardware limitations. It can maximize the fuel economy your car gets while cruising but if the hardware's maximum possible mileage is 20MPG, 20MPG is all the programming will yield. If the hardware will allow it then yes, you could see 850HP and 40MPG. Chevy is getting 30+MPG out of the Corvette and it's pushing 400+HP because the hardware supports it. A personal program might pull another 5MPG and another 40HP out of the car than the OEM does mainly because the OEM has its own parameters to meet (we've all discussed this before so I won't go into what they might be this time :D ) and their targets won't necessarily be your targets.

EDIT - guess I kinda mirrored Joe's post.

Not quite, Robot. The programing can make the most of what you have, but it can't overcome hardware limitations. It can maximize the fuel economy your car gets while cruising but if the hardware's maximum possible mileage is 20MPG, 20MPG is all the programming will yield. If the hardware will allow it then yes, you could see 850HP and 40MPG. Chevy is getting 30+MPG out of the Corvette and it's pushing 400+HP because the hardware supports it. A personal program might pull another 5MPG and another 40HP out of the car than the OEM does mainly because the OEM has its own parameters to meet (we've all discussed this before so I won't go into what they might be this time :D ) and their targets won't necessarily be your targets.

EDIT - guess I kinda mirrored Joe's post.

You're talking about a Corvette vs an LS though. Aerodynamically an LS is like a brick compared to the Corvette. I bet that Corvette requires about half the power to overcome the aero forces the LS has to deal with. That and the fact the 350 has had about a half a century of development to its advantage. That 350 is like the B-52 of engines. They just kept finding reasons to keep it around even when something better came and went. That says a lot for developmental support. Obviously there is some sort of design limitation with the basic AJ engine because even the new ones can't get close to 30 mpg without supercharging it to get over 500 HP and to me that says compression ratio.

You are agreeing with what was posted, Robot. The programming can maximize what the hardware will allow. Yes, the Vette is more aerodynamic than the LS, therefore the Vette can allow better mileage. The hardware doesn't matter here, because the program doesn't know what it's running. It can be set to maximize whatever it has to work with, and what is maximized (mileage, power) can be set on a cell by cell basis within the program. This cell falls within cruise so it is adjusted for economy, that cell falls within power so power is maxed. The old programs (OBD1) simply set timing vs RPM but the latest programs use multiple 3D tables that interact with each other. If it doesn't have anything to work with or if the factory already maxed out the programming, then a program won't do much regardless of the car. Same applies if the factory left a large safety margin.

the Vette has a lower overall final drive (lower numerically final trans ratio and taller tires) along with less weight to help those mileage numbers along as well.

You're focusing on the wrong thing here. This is a discussion about programming benefits, not whether the Corvette is a different car than the LS. The computer program doesn't know what it's in, all it knows is that it sees these inputs, so it generates those outputs based on its programming parameters. Tweak the parameters in the program and you can improve power, fuel economy or both. With modern programs, you can tweak both performance and fuel economy to their maximum levels depending on what part is tweaked. You could even tweak the program to generate maximum fuel economy under WOT and maximum power for cruising if you wanted to. Of course your mileage would suck in the short time before the engine blows up because you'd be running pig rich at cruise and too lean at WOT and maximum fuel economy at WOT isn't going to be great to begin with...

You're focusing on the wrong thing here. This is a discussion about programming benefits, not whether the Corvette is a different car than the LS. The computer program doesn't know what it's in, all it knows is that it sees these inputs, so it generates those outputs based on its programming parameters. Tweak the parameters in the program and you can improve power, fuel economy or both. With modern programs, you can tweak both performance and fuel economy to their maximum levels depending on what part is tweaked. You could even tweak the program to generate maximum fuel economy under WOT and maximum power for cruising if you wanted to. Of course your mileage would suck in the short time before the engine blows up because you'd be running pig rich at cruise and too lean at WOT and maximum fuel economy at WOT isn't going to be great to begin with...

Telco? You introduced the vette into the conversation. Did you actually mean to write maximum power for cruising?

Members online

No members online now.
Back