P0171 and P0307 swapped coils and codes stayed the same... any ideas?

adamfysher

LVC Member
Reaction score
I swapped the number 7 coil and plug to another cylinder and still have the same codes. I erased the codes before restarting the vehicle and the same ones popped up. I also did not see any oil on the plugs when I swapped them. Is this a symptom of the timing tensioners or is there something else I may be overlooking. I do plan on buying 8 new coils and plugs, but want to make sure that there is not something else going on before I order all the parts from rockauto for around $400. I do plan on buying oem (motorcraft) parts for everything. I appreciate any and all help you guys are able to bring.

Oh also, I have a 2000 ls sport with the 3.9

Last edited:

P0171 = Too lean mixture on Bank 1 = http://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

Clean the MAF sensor and remove the battery terminals for >30min.

P03XX = see here: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...h-idle&p=2037337671&viewfull=1#post2037337671

A code P0307 may mean one or more of the following:

- Faulty spark plug or wire Faulty coil (pack)
- Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
- Faulty fuel injector
- Burned exhaust valve
- Faulty catalytic converter(s)
- Defective PCM

Overall, you might have a sticking, plugged or failed fuel injector on #7
Ensure the coil connector clip on 7 is good.

I'm sure fordparts.com or tascaparts.com could get them for ya but be sure to check this is what you need,
no sense throwing parts at it if you're not sure. Gonna have to run a continuity test on the coil wiring before you determine this to be the actual problem.

I'm thinking more along the lines of the injector on #7, yet your too lean code is on the opposite bank if I'm not mistaken.

Bank 1 holds Cyl 1-4,
Bank 2 holds Cyl 5-8

I thought.

So you have a too lean on bank 1 and a misfire on bank 2

I'd start with cleaning the MAF sensor and inspect for leaks after MAF into the air intake.

Is there somewhere to order these clips?

I ordered some from somewhere; I just don't remember where. Let me go dig in my parts bin and find the part number... Could take a while.....

Do you happen to know what type of resistance reading should be showing up on the coils by chance?

A check of the primary resistance is almost completely useless. LS coils rarely fail completely, instead they become marginal due to internal high voltage breakdown. You can only test for that by doing an operational stress test and looking at the waveform on an oscilloscope. If there were a clear problem with the primary of the coil, then you would be getting a P0357 code.

Replacing all the coils and plugs is a good idea, but for this specific problem, it's time to look elsewhere.
Check compression and leakdown on #7.
Check the #7 injector, start by making sure it is electrically plugged in all the way. Use a small test light to verify that it is being activated. Pull the plug and see if there are any signs of gasoline.
Try to find out why you are lean. Is the fuel pressure good? Is there a vacuum leak? Is the MAF good? Do you have the left and right O2 sensor connectors swapped?

@ sacsfin3st I did see some aftermarket splice in type clips at Pepboys. Don't know what the stealership would charge, but they would probably prefer you to order the entire harness.

Last edited:
@ sacsfin3st I did see some aftermarket splice in type clips at Pepboys. Don't know what the stealership would charge, but they would probably prefer you to order the entire harness.

They actually sell repair connectors too. I do suspect that if you went there and asked them to do the repair, they would first try quoting you the whole harness. However, if you go there to buy parts, I'm sure you can get them to look up the repair connectors and just sell you that.

I swapped the MAF with my other ls and no changes. Dont have a tool to check the fuel pressure but obd 2 reader did not say anything about it during diagnostic. Never swapped the O2 sensors. I am suspecting a vacuum leak but also dont have any type of vacuum leak test set. I also swapped the 'PCV' hose and the rough idle lessened. There is an air line that goes to the some lines that attach to around the injectors (sorry dont know what it's called) it appears cracked and when I remove it completely while the vehicle is running, the car shuts down. I reset the codes and the #7 code never came back on. As of right now, I bought a new air filter and did the pcv test from the diagnostic manual--the paper next to the maf sensor light, and it passed. Also put in some fuel injector cleaner and ran the vehicle around the neighborhood and the light still hasn't come back on.

Members online

No members online now.
Back