Lincoln LS 302

There are two different pumps. The one from the 1990s does not have the integrated controller, the 2001 on up does. The integrated controller apparently has pressure sensors that picks up when you turn the wheel and speeds the pump accordingly as when you start to turn the wheel it will push against the fluid. The folks running them say that they work fine with just power and ground, but if you want the speed sensitive steering to work then it needs the VSS.

Are you needing an steering sensor for the rack project? If so I've seen them optical sensors out there, would just need to track them down again.

Thanks for the information. :) That is the type of pump that I was looking for first. I probably would have gone that route if I didn't own a Honda S2000 in the past. The power steering worked very well at different speeds.

The Honda rack also has the steering sensor built into the pinion shaft.

When I post the steering build I would like you to followup with yours. Or just PM me when you get it installed. It will be cool to compare notes.

Sure, but I may follow your way instead. Like I said, those pumps are almost impossible to find and I don't like using stuff I can't find in any parts store. My Reatta cured me of getting involved in hard to find stuff. :D The local parts stores aren't able to even order them.

Status update please?!

I'm rebuilding the serpentine belt system and freshening up the cooling lines. I rushed so much to get this car on the road that now I'm taking my time to do things right. Serpentine drives require a lot of care during the alignment so this is slow going. I'll post a picture when I'm done.

After that I'm going to build new motor mounts to isolate the engine better in the chassis.

Thanks for you interest.

Pictures? ALL the electronics work as designed?

The electronics work.

Here are some final pictures of the end result.

I'll be sure to put something together with video before I pull the engine out for my next project.

lincolnls302.JPG

lincolnls3021.JPG

lincolnls3022.JPG

lincolnls3023.JPG

lincolnls3024.JPG

lincolnls3025.JPG

lincolnls3026.JPG

The electronics work.

Here are some final pictures of the end result.

I'll be sure to put something together with video before I pull the engine out for my next project.

whatcha gunna do that with that motor and such?

So what was done to make that work? And.... How much scratch?

Just a tune I guess.. And making some pieces for the stock sensors to be used..

I bought a lot of nice parts like the coolant filler neck, 4bbl intake, trickflow plenum, etc and such that went high on the budget. Here is a pretty quick run down on the basics:

2000 Explorer Engine 600
Engine Rebuild Parts 400
2005-07 Mustang v6 t5 with shifter 400
Mustang Bell 100
Drive shaft 300
Pinion Flange 50
Jaguar Fan 50
Motor Mounts (custom) ~50
Custom AC lines 100
Fan Controller 100
Clutch Pedal Assembly 200 - if you can find one or modify a European Jag like me
Oil Pan 200
Adapt Factory Exhaust ~100
Tuner 379
AEM Wideband 200
Custom Tune 100
Misc ?

You could probably pull it off for about 3500 if you can do the work yourself.

Labor PRICELESS - Fitment takes forever! I have had to do everything 3 or 4 times to get it close to right. This is truly a custom build and nothing will fit out of the box.

I've gone way over board on this car so I have a lot more than that in it.

You could pay 2200 (that was the quote I received) and have someone make a Jag flywheel to mate with the manual trans and then spend another 3k to throw some turbos on the factory engine -- at least things would fit better.

That being said -- this has been a great project that I can tweak on forever.

Awesome write up. I have always liked the LS and think something like this would be awesome. I just sold my 94 Mustang that I put a 351w in it and miss it terribly. This would be the best of both worlds. I found your write up because I would like to do something like this but either go a 302/351w or a coyote 5.0. The coyote measures:
5.0L DOHC
28" Length
26" Height
27-1/2" Wide

While the coyote measures narrower than a 4.6 DOHC it is still significantly wider than a 302 and a 351w. I believe going with a 351w roller and stroking to a 393 or 408 would be ideal and staying around 10.25:1 compression. Forgive me if this has been covered as I may have missed it but which style brackets did you go with? I think I remember seeing that you had to make a couple custom brackets but not sure which. The 94-95 5.0 brackets held everything closer to the engine which works great if your sticking with a 351w since you dont need to change brackets.

So in the end what doesn't work on this project? Does the AC and ABS and all that work?

So in the end what doesn't work on this project? Does the AC and ABS and all that work?

He stated all electronics work, and he made it work by modding the engine to use the factory LS sensors. The computer would need to be tuned for the larger engine, and it would need to use a larger MAF, but this was always possible.

Awesome write up. I have always liked the LS and think something like this would be awesome. I just sold my 94 Mustang that I put a 351w in it and miss it terribly. This would be the best of both worlds. I found your write up because I would like to do something like this but either go a 302/351w or a coyote 5.0. The coyote measures:
5.0L DOHC
28" Length
26" Height
27-1/2" Wide

While the coyote measures narrower than a 4.6 DOHC it is still significantly wider than a 302 and a 351w. I believe going with a 351w roller and stroking to a 393 or 408 would be ideal and staying around 10.25:1 compression. Forgive me if this has been covered as I may have missed it but which style brackets did you go with? I think I remember seeing that you had to make a couple custom brackets but not sure which. The 94-95 5.0 brackets held everything closer to the engine which works great if your sticking with a 351w since you dont need to change brackets.

I don't see any difficulty with doing a Coyote engine, unless the Coyote uses any sort of VVT/DOD tech that would need to be addressed that the LS computer couldn't handle. If there is, it would require extra work but should be possible for someone who really wants it.

yes, the coyote has VVT.
also, if a 4.6 dohc will fit in the LS, which it does, then a coyote will fit too. it has smaller, more compact heads.

Everything worked. By the time I was done rebuilding accessory brackets and re-fabricating parts, I decided that I didn't want an engine/accessory combination that wasn't oem enough to buy off the shelf parts.

I had a few problems that turned me off of the 302.

The big one was the fit of the front end accessories, ac, alt, etc. if you look at my pictures you'll notice that I changed them a couple of times.

The second problem that just pissed me off more than anything was a vibration in the driveline. I balances my driveshaft and wheels twice. I replaced my wheel bearings and axels all to find out that the low mileage transmission that I purchased had a bent mainshaft. I rebuilt the transmission with stronger gears and a new mainshaft and the car was smooth after that.

The only electrical problem that remained was a blinking abs light which was a result of hooking my Jaguar cooling fans primary b+ to the front fuse box resulting in a low power fault in the traction control system. This now needs a reflash and I don't have the programmer to do it.

Finally, because of dramatic changes that I made to the core drivetrain I did not have the peace of mind one would get from oem testing and quality control.
That being said,
Really, after the tune I was surprised at how great the car ran and how smooth the 302 was.

Now, I swapped in the 2nd gen 3.9 and it's only waiting on a new alternator. So, I will be updating that thread shortly.

5.0L DOHC
28" Length
26" Height
27-1/2" Wide

This only gives you about 1/4 inch on each side of the engine.

I can double check but I'm sure That the
frame rails are about 28 inches apart.

This only gives you about 1/4 inch on each side of the engine.

I can double check but I'm sure That the
frame rails are about 28 inches apart.

Pretty sure that 27 1/2" would be at it's widest point across the heads. The crankcase is likely narrower.

Pretty sure that 27 1/2" would be at it's widest point across the heads. The crankcase is likely narrower.

This is a rough measurement. What you can't see here is that the 28 inches runs roughly from the top of the shock towers and continues all the way down to the cross member.

I never, ever, want to say that it can't be done because I love doing odd ball conversions.

That being said, 27 1/2 inches would be darn tight!

photo 1.JPGphoto 2.jpg

In case you didn't notice this is a gen2 engine in a gen1 car.

...and yeah it's bad a$$.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

Would like to see a 302 conversion "kit"

I only drove the car about 2-3 miles, close by the shop in Livonia where the conversion was done. Everything necessary to do that drive worked just fine. And if you don't live in Metro Detroit, as I do, the whole idea of engineering may exist in a fog of uncertainty. But be well aware that if you have been around the Ford end of the car business as is common to living here, it's not too hard to find the people who did the original work in designing a particular component.

When I met the lead engineer for the LS-type ECU design team, he was involved in doing the tuning on a blown (aftermarket components) F-150 at a dyno facility in one of the downriver suburbs of Detroit. He'd not formally left Ford, but was on his way, and he told me several weeks later that he'd accepted a position with a very-well-known race shop here in town.

I'm sure you don't mean to suggest that having designed the electronics in the first place, he'd be unable to make any changes necessary to make the system amenable to adaptation and improvement.

You simply have to have access to the right people. And don't try to make all the changes in the day or two before setting out on a 'Cannonball'.

And as a side note:
As I've noted on this forum in previous discussions, the ECU doesn't know exactly what sort of engine it's attached to. In order to work properly, it's only necessary to have the sensors attached to the engine be of such specification that they communicate properly with the ECU.

KS

Hi, I have been following this post for a long time and saw 2 videos on youtube of this car. I think this car is a terrific car and I have one myself, that blew a head-gasket. (The ignition coils many times misfired and were replaced, and are a known problem with this car. Over time,(several years) it caused the catalytic converter to get clogged up and create back-pressure and heat, that, at the later stage of the game, caused the excessive overheating blow a head-gasket.) I saw many threads of putting the 4.6 DOHC engine in this car, a civilian to do it, not a Ford Factory team, and it seems mostly talk, with only 1 car shown as a conversion example. I've read that the 3 Valve 4.6 is a possibly easier conversion. To me, it's all mostly talk until I see it really happen by enthusiasts really doing it. I think the approach you took, to put the 6" to 7" less wide 302 which has same weight, or less, and has better physical dimensions, is actually the far easier conversion given the tight engine bay of the Lincoln LS. I think, from a cost point of view, it's a more cost effective solution for guys like me, that have a blown engine, where the cost of machine shop work on this aluminum Jag derived engine is not worth it, or getting a junkyard engine is not worth it, since you still have no after market support for the Jag derived 3.9L.

I respectfully ask that after you put all the engineering work to get this test mule (your own car) working, that a kit could be put together and sold. Everything from mounting brackets, any custom (if needed) pulley brackets, the A/C hard lines and steering lines, or anything else you've fabricated and most importantly of all, the PCM work, and any after market additional components to control the fan and fan relays. I also think that perhaps two kits: one where the owner keeps the original 5R55S (or is it 5R55N?) and simply needs the correct bell-housing to attach to the 302 engine, and one where the owner swaps in a manual, such as you did. If the original transmission is kept, it's not only a big cost savings, but also, it keeps the drive shaft in place without substitution, and keeps all the servos and anything that might affect traction control also in place.

I think if you were to put together a kit, that has everything in it: mounting brackets, Hard lines, additional electronics to adapt the existing PCU to the 302 and make the gauges and all the other electronics in the car work, and detailed instructions, I think you'd make a killing selling it. There's a ton of knowledge on the 302 and many 347 engine variants sold as well. The ability to convert a 11 or 12 year old car with a blown engine and work with the 302 instead is something that would be welcomed by many Lincoln LS8 owners and LS6 owners as well. Please let me and other here know your thoughts; especially since you have access to some of the original Ford engineers in Detroit that worked on this car, and us regular folks don't.

Everything worked. By the time I was done rebuilding accessory brackets and re-fabricating parts, I decided that I didn't want an engine/accessory combination that wasn't oem enough to buy off the shelf parts.

I had a few problems that turned me off of the 302.

The big one was the fit of the front end accessories, ac, alt, etc. if you look at my pictures you'll notice that I changed them a couple of times.

The second problem that just pissed me off more than anything was a vibration in the driveline. I balances my driveshaft and wheels twice. I replaced my wheel bearings and axels all to find out that the low mileage transmission that I purchased had a bent mainshaft. I rebuilt the transmission with stronger gears and a new mainshaft and the car was smooth after that.

The only electrical problem that remained was a blinking abs light which was a result of hooking my Jaguar cooling fans primary b+ to the front fuse box resulting in a low power fault in the traction control system. This now needs a reflash and I don't have the programmer to do it.

Finally, because of dramatic changes that I made to the core drivetrain I did not have the peace of mind one would get from oem testing and quality control.
That being said,
Really, after the tune I was surprised at how great the car ran and how smooth the 302 was.

Now, I swapped in the 2nd gen 3.9 and it's only waiting on a new alternator. So, I will be updating that thread shortly.

So after all that ton of work to put in the 302 and make everything work, you've ditched all the effort and went back to a 3.9 instead?

Probably buy a Mustang that needs and engine and sell it for a little cash.

It's a great performance street engine.

Why did you ditch the 302 and all the work and effort you've put into it? I think it was a tremendous bit of labor and if you stuck with original automatic transmission, and didn't swap to a manual, it would have cost less time and money. Please keep the 302 and all the custom hard lines and pulley brackets and such and please consider creating a kit , with all the custom engine mounting brackets and front accessory dress up items sold as a kit. I think other Lincoln LS owners might benefit from doing a 302 conversion based on what you did. You've led the way and my hat is off to you. I hated to see the GM LS1 swap into this Ford car. Please keep this car and post videos of it, as I think it also needs to get noticed.

Members online

Back