Interior swap gen 1

back on it today- last weekend I repaired the BDA, finally have heat...today I: painted the dash black, removed the seats and sail panels, I hadn't PLANNED to paint/dye the sunroof headliner, but maybe removing it might not be too difficult with the int. trim panels out?
----
i startd to remove the carpet but ran out of steam. Am I correct in assuming it will be easiest to r/r carpet with the dash still pulled back from it's attachment points?

yeah, i believe the carpet is held in by a bolt up there somewhere under the dash.

weekend warrior, back at it: the int is mostly stripped, the dash is painted and remounted to the firewall/frame; I originally planned to keep the ivory headliner in place, but now that everything is out of the way, I'm gonna pull out/paint it
-----
took the old carpet out in 2 pieces, somewhat apprehensive about how well the new/aftermarket carpet will resemble what came out
---
P2150873.jpg
------
P2150877.jpg
-----
P2150878.jpg

P2150873.jpg

P2150877.jpg

P2150878.jpg

so here's where I could use some guidance:
-is dying/spray painting the headliner a viable option? or, as stated in older posts, is that guaranteed to fail?
-what type material should I look for to laminate/recover the existing headliner (it's in good shape, I just want it black instead of ivory)
-what type product should be used to adhere the new material when recovering it?
------
-I'm going with new int. carpet, who's bought stuff they were happy with before? what was the source?

Check an auto trim place - should be less than $40 to recover black including glue. I used a stiff nylon brush/wire brush for stubborn to clean the old material off mine. They had a glue there they recommend (Sprayway Fast Tack 92) - its an industrial high temp spray adhesive.

I haven't done the Mark yet - but it held the Tbird through an as summer with no letgo.

I bought padded headliner material off eBay in black and bought 3M adhesive in a big spray can from O'Reilly's but.... haven't used either one yet. I might get at it this weekend since it's going to be close to the 70's. I'll take pics as I go.

Ya'll are going to make me document doing mine!

The Start - I've peeled away some of the top layers of the fabric already. Keep in mind this was my tBird, but you get the idea.
null_zps2c957d6f-1.jpg

Using a brush (you can see lines from where the brush is removing the old material)
null_zpsd7c48595.jpg

The cleaned headliner backer board (its of some pressed fiberglass material on the tBird)
http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss97/fkostyun/Car%20Stuff/null_zpsa04a0728.jpg[img]

One half of the headliner glued up.
[img]http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss97/fkostyun/Car%20Stuff/null_zps9739edf2.jpg[/

All Glued Up
[ATTACH=full]828558874[/ATTACH]

After you get it all glue up, let it dry for an hour and "borrow" the lady's iron and use it to steam the foam - that'll level things out nicely if there are any slightly flat spots.

Completed and installed - also - the sun visors have also been recovered.

[ATTACH=full]828558875[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• null_zps8662bb04.jpg
    null_zps8662bb04.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 63
  • null_zpsd5cd0bb9.jpg
    null_zpsd5cd0bb9.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 63
back on my Saturday/interior re-do project: I just used Duplicolor vinyl/fabric spray coating for the headliner and sunroof cover, as well as the rear dash cover. pics next week, should be fine
-----
I also received the new carpet in the mail
Wasn't sure what to expect but here's what I got:
P2220879.jpg
----
P2220882.jpg
----
P2220883.jpg
---
I'll get into trying to install it next weekend

P2220879.jpg

P2220882.jpg

P2220883.jpg

to get the carpet in, should i partially or completely remove the A/T shifter? kinda seems like the upper cable that goes under the EATC towards the dash should be disconnected?
-----
P2220885.jpg
----
P2220886.jpg

P2220885.jpg

P2220886.jpg

it's almost done, a few glitches here and there; but they're all hidden easily
-----
new int 3_29_14a.jpg
----
new int 3_29_14b.jpg
----
new int 3-29_14c.jpg
----
this project also included BDA replacement, LH outside handle repair

new int 3_29_14a.jpg

new int 3_29_14b.jpg

new int 3-29_14c.jpg

for the headliner, I sprayed it with flat black Duplicolor vinyl/fabric spray coating, next project for this car? maybe plasti dip the factory 10 spokes.....glossifier? metalizer?

on the brown car, swapped the gray carbon fiber for black; put it all back together,major improvement w/ black interior
---
P4030017.jpg
----
P4030018.jpg
----
P4030019.jpg

P4030017.jpg

P4030018.jpg

P4030019.jpg

Duuuuude! I like that a lot! Hopefully I can get mine looking like that soon. I think it will look good with my ivory interior. I've also got some blue EL wire I'm going to run under the console to give it a blue internal "glow" at night. That should look interesting.

Damn, MarkVIII, I'm impressed with your results, too. The black looks immaculate. Mr. dnsherrill, you have made the car your own special edition. That console really is nice work, and so is everything else. Gives me hope for mine. :) I love those wheels, too. The way a Mark shows progress is very encouraging. Nothing like seeing a cherry one coming down the road. People always go, "what kind of car is that"? Everyone thinks they're good looking. Why didn't Lincoln sell more of them?

Damn, MarkVIII, I'm impressed with your results, too. The black looks immaculate. Mr. dnsherrill, you have made the car your own special edition. That console really is nice work, and so is everything else. Gives me hope for mine. :) I love those wheels, too. The way a Mark shows progress is very encouraging. Nothing like seeing a cherry one coming down the road. People always go, "what kind of car is that"? Everyone thinks they're good looking. Why didn't Lincoln sell more of them?

Because they were $40K+ when released

It does look pretty good I must say, but ill give just a touch of constructive criticism..
The cup holder cover/ashtray cover and shifter surround lines all look to line up with each other, but the radio bezel looks just a tad canted. If you got that piece to follow the same flow it'd look perfect. It may be just me though, or the angle you took the pic. Anyway, good job

correct- what you're seeing around the radio bezel is boogered up glue where I tried to re-adhere the fuzzy little dust strip/liner- shoulda just deleted it;
---this car has plenty of warts; it's been fun working on it, well... not the BDA.
I may drop a grand to get it repainted. The white one is the summer car; I'll put the brown one in storage til the winter. Maybe black plasti-dip the factory 10 spokes for the white one, maybe get 1'' dropped coils for the brown car- the 98 Cobra rims jacked it up.
Now I live close to work (3 miles), so the cars are more of a hobby than a means to survival

Because its a 93/94 console and a 95/96 dash. When you Frankenstein one of these, there's always gonna be little kinks like that
Terry sold me the console, presented as a 95/96....I already had a 94......I didn't think the attachment points would line up if the console was a 93-94....???

Members online

Back