bad weather related issue ??

BigWayner95

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok... seems like my ls doest this weird down shift when driving in bad weather. The rpms drop below 1500 and shoot right back up. Were speeds are less than 30mph and very slow acceleration. Is this all Ls's? Or do I need to replace my solenoid? Does the ls hate to go slow? Lol

When you say bad weather, are your tires spinning? Is the advance trac light coming on?

Bad weather as in roads are snow covered. And no I turn off the advanced trac. I have more control with it off. This only happening while cruisin or when light on gas pedal... and if snowfall is heavy.

And no I turn off the advanced trac. I have more control with it off.

I'll tell you this: we have seen an extreme amount of snow here and I haven't slipped once, so I have a hard time believing your statement. But anyway, I would say that your wheels are spinning, causing the RPMs to jump. Then once your wheels grip again, the RPMs drop and its normal.

Its not spinning tires. my rpms at 30 mph on dry pavement are the same at snow covered. ok ima try to explain a different way... Say you're cruising down a street road at 30mph, your RPM's are at for example 2200 rpm and you set your cruise. and all of the sudden a freak snowstorm starts up so you take your cruise control off and you drive normal. maintaining a 30 to 35 mph pace during this the RPM's drop too 1500 and then go right back up to 22 or 2500. Its action reminds me of a misfire. But my plugs and coils are only f4 months old. It does it even with the trac control on. I find it easier to accelerate with the traction off because I'll never get anywhere. Anyhow its like the engine coughs and its ok. But only with heavy snowfall and **** roads.

I see, I had a similar situation to yours at one point in time when I FIRST got my LS. The intake filter unhooked from the intake and when it was raining out it would drive like it was misfiring. I opened the hood, laughed for about 10 minutes while re-attaching the filter to the intake, and it was fine after.

The transmission is notorious for having shifting issues from 3rd to 4th (usually accompanied by a harsh shift) and from P to D or R (also usually accompanied by a harsh shift). Are you experiencing any harsh shifts at all?

Does the car do this if you put it into SST? Try putting it into SST, shift up to 3rd, maintain 30 MPH and see if it does this. Watch the number on the dash too to see if it moves from 3 to 4. Also try it in 4th. See what results you get.

I live in MN and I have had almost the exact thing happen as described above by BigWayner. Feels like a misfire sometimes, or a shift where there shouldnt be a shift. It only happens to me in snow, either after or during the snow, but with the roads still pretty bad. I always kind of figure its the traction control, but I have had 2 ETC failsafe modes happen to me this winter and only in bad snow driving. Not sure if they are related, probably not based on what I have read, but it seems awfully coincidental to me that it happened only while driving on the freeway in the snow

Yes still does it. Did know that the LSU's where harsh shifters at least from p to d and 1 to 2. But it usually smoothed out I thought. I get harsh shifts from R to D as well. And I guess maybe from 3 to 4. But not like from 1 to 2.

Under regular accel. Can anyone tell me where the usual shift rpm is at?

I'm starting to wonder if I may need to replace my solenoid. And IAC.

Cold start rev is lasting way to long. Imop.

But I will check the filter box as soon as I get off. Valid point. Should've checked that. Thanks. Not promising anything.

Does the car do this if you put it into SST? Try putting it into SST, shift up to 3rd, maintain 30 MPH and see if it does this. Watch the number on the dash too to see if it moves from 3 to 4. Also try it in 4th. See what results you get.

The transmission won't up shift for you in SST. Whatever gear you select is the gear you get.

Yes still does it. Did know that the LSU's where harsh shifters at least from p to d and 1 to 2. But it usually smoothed out I thought. I get harsh shifts from R to D as well. And I guess maybe from 3 to 4. But not like from 1 to 2.

Under regular accel. Can anyone tell me where the usual shift rpm is at?

I'm starting to wonder if I may need to replace my solenoid. And IAC.

Cold start rev is lasting way to long. Imop.

But I will check the filter box as soon as I get off. Valid point. Should've checked that. Thanks. Not promising anything.

Delayed R-D-R-N(?) is classic solenoid pack symptom.

Ok. How hard is it to replace LS4? Should I go new or trust the refurb ones from eBay?

Does this work?

Screenshot_2014-01-29-13-39-50.jpg

Ok. How hard is it to replace LS4? Should I go new or trust the refurb ones from eBay?

New, for sure. With a lift it's not to terribly bad. I'd call it 3 1/2 wrenches out of 5 though. The two difficult parts are the bolt that holds on the electrical connector and getting the fluid level correct. When I did it I had access to a lift; had I only jack-stands I would gladly pay the ~2 hours labor.

So a typical job such as replacing the solenoid at shop would be?

My buddy chargers 50 a hr. And I think its fair price... I just bring him car and parts.

So is there a reputable company that makes these new? Or do I have to order it from ford?

What other stuff should I have him do? Like a special tranny oil or just what's factory?

And brand tranny filter?

So a typical job such as replacing the solenoid at shop would be?

My buddy chargers 50 a hr. And I think its fair price... I just bring him car and parts.

So is there a reputable company that makes these new? Or do I have to order it from ford?

What other stuff should I have him do? Like a special tranny oil or just what's factory?

And brand tranny filter?

If you mean dealer Alldata says 2.1 hours labor.

If I can do it your buddy should have no problem. It's pretty straight forward. I wouldn't pay for more than Alldata's 2.1 hours though.

I would only trust the factory (Ford) unit. Aftermarket is iffy these days for newer complex cars.

Just use the factory specified fluid. IIRC, MerconV, check the Owners Manual.

While the pan is off the filter is a no-brainer.

Members online

No members online now.
Back