What did you do to your LS today?

Price jump for a 7.0 from a 6.0 is huge? 6.0 is plenty for a reg cab 4x4. Nice ride ! Work truck or custom cruiser? I found a low milage ext cab SS 6.0 I am looking at.

It's just a daily driver/toy, but I must disagree on the 6.0 being good enough. The price jump for a crate between the two is about 2 grand or so, really not that much for the additional power you get as the 7.0 with a cam would give you close to the same power as a 6.0 with a small supercharger. Then, you could put a larger supercharger on the 7.0 What I'd really like to have is a compound charged (twin turbos feeding a supercharger) LSX/R 454 under the hood. I don't have THAT much money though. :D I'd have to hire a fuel tanker to follow me around.

If you get the SS, EFI Live is your best friend.

... started her up this morning, ran for 15min, doesn't seem to mind sitting in the garage with a start every two weeks or so.

(exercised the standby house genny as well ... all good, A-OK)

Airbag light goes off, LFC 36. I just replaced the clockspring recently! Looked under the driver seat, yep the famous yellow connector issue. Cut off the connector and butt joined the wires, Airbag light disappears.

Prior to that I got some handyman makeover snafu. Fixed a single shingle on my roof that was blown by the strong wind. While I'm on the roof, my aluminum ladder got blown by wind, hit my glass window and didn't like the sound of it. Looks like I haven't saved that much DIY :(

Lesson learned, always secure the ladder first thing first.

Reso delete, X-pipe added, about to be cat less (MIL eliminator), and 2.5" from manifolds back. I love the way the xpipe sounds.

uploadfromtaptalk1390803081424.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1390803105702.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1390803122229.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1390803136793.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1390803151301.jpg

Airbag light goes off, LFC 36. I just replaced the clockspring recently! Looked under the driver seat, yep the famous yellow connector issue. Cut off the connector and butt joined the wires, Airbag light disappears.

I did the same thing a few years ago to get rid of the 32 code. But after some time the butt connectors loosened, probably due to the movement of the seat, and I ended up soldering the connection.

I did the same thing a few years ago to get rid of the 32 code. But after some time the butt connectors loosened, probably due to the movement of the seat, and I ended up soldering the connection.

I'm assuming that 32 is the steering wheel airbag issue (clockspring) and 36 is the driver seat side airbag (yellow connector) Not always the case?

I'm assuming that 32 is the steering wheel airbag issue (clockspring) and 36 is the driver seat side airbag (yellow connector) Not always the case?

They are both for the driver side airbag.

32 was the driver side airbag for me, and is most often the connector under the seat. It seems like 36 is more often the clock spring, which I assume is because the worn clockspring exposes the copper wire to ground in the steering column or to an adjacent wire in the clockspring. 32 is an open connection, which would be a bad connector.

Check out this post with a description of the various codes.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...light-flashing&p=708370&viewfull=1#post708370

Thanks Rojasnyc

mycarfax.com is the site that will allow you to enter your VIN and see the vehicles service history. It is a free site, even though it is owned by carfax.com which we all know charges a lot for a background check on your vehicle. It provides you with the name of the service place and their phone number. A couple of phone calls and a lot of info is revealed.

32 was the driver side airbag for me, and is most often the connector under the seat. It seems like 36 is more often the clock spring, which I assume is because the worn clockspring exposes the copper wire to ground in the steering column or to an adjacent wire in the clockspring. 32 is an open connection, which would be a bad connector.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...light-flashing&p=708370&viewfull=1#post708370

yep, definitely the description says it.

B1932 32 8 Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance High Go To Pinpoint Test H .
B1994 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance Go To Pinpoint Test V .

In my case, when I replaced the clockspring the LFC 32 went away, after a week LFC 36 showed up.

Think that's backwards. The 32 code has been the clockspring both times on the 2000. Whomever is making these clocksprings (no, it ISN'T Ford) needs a course in Quality Control!!

How about I had a brand new clock spring installed and now..I have the airbag light which flashes sometimes and now is on steady..the horn works fine...but the cruise control does not...every now and then I will regain control of the cruise but only on single occasions. Should I check the yellow connector under the seat..but how would you explain the loss of cruise controls with a new clock spring installed...?

...but how would you explain the loss of cruise controls with a new clock spring installed...?

Your new clockspring is failing or the connectors to it aren't fully mated.
It could have been a bad one out of the box, or more likely, it was installed incorrectly. If the spring isn't correctly centered, and the steering wheel isn't correctly centered when installed, the spring will break the first time you turn the wheel all the way in one direction.

Alternate possibility: One of your cruise control buttons is failing. The "resume" button failed on my 04 and I had to replace the cruise button assembly on the wheel.

How about I had a brand new clock spring installed and now..I have the airbag light which flashes sometimes and now is on steady..the horn works fine...but the cruise control does not...every now and then I will regain control of the cruise but only on single occasions. Should I check the yellow connector under the seat..but how would you explain the loss of cruise controls with a new clock spring installed...?

you need to figure out what the LFC (light fault code) is by counting the number of airbag flashes when starting the car, if it's 32 then it could be an issue with the clockspring or any of the buttons. Or you could quickly take a peek under the driver seat to check the yellow connector (seat adjusted all the way to the front) and rule it out if it's intact.

Just like the COPs, the clockspring is just one of the finest engineering in our lincoln.

...Just like the COPs, the clockspring is just one of the finest engineering in our lincoln.

I tend to disagree with that statement. Clocksprings are wear items. They will fail on all cars, if the rest of the car lasts long enough. So far, at 150+K and 112+K miles and 10 and 8 years, mine are doing just fine.

It's funny that most on here weren't willing to pay the price for the LS when it was new, and don't want to pay the cost of new factory replacement parts, but yet are convinced that Ford should have made it even more expensive so that they wouldn't have to replace some of these parts.

I tend to disagree with that statement. Clocksprings are wear items. They will fail on all cars, if the rest of the car lasts long enough. So far, at 150+K and 112+K miles and 10 and 8 years, mine are doing just fine.

It's funny that most on here weren't willing to pay the price for the LS when it was new, and don't want to pay the cost of new factory replacement parts, but yet are convinced that Ford should have made it even more expensive so that they wouldn't have to replace some of these parts.

it didn't fail on my other cars way older than my ls, especially the cops. they're both the same age as my mountaineer and is daily driven (140k miles) still has no issues with clockspring. why on earth this is so common issue on the ls? even the COPs are the original on that truck (not to mention my 98 continental)

there are so many wear items on a car (brakes, tires, speakers, etc..) COPs and clocksprings should last longer and not a common issue. I haven't heard of anyone in the explorer forum complain about those things (and they have worst problems than ours)

the only time people mention about the clockspring is when they replace the steering rack and didn't secure the steering wheel properly.

I thought we were talking about clocksprings. I agree that the COPs should be better.
I've had clocksprings fail on other cars, one while the car was still in warranty. So far, I haven't had one fail on either LS. I am not convinced that it is a high failure rate, unlike the COPs and the plastic cooling system parts.

Think that's backwards. The 32 code has been the clockspring both times on the 2000. Whomever is making these clocksprings (no, it ISN'T Ford) needs a course in Quality Control!!

The fault can be in either place. It just seems to more often be 32 under the seat (or in the seatback) and 36 in the clockspring.

I tell you what..I really hope it isn't a bad clock spring..as much as the dealer charged me for it..

I tell you what..I really hope it isn't a bad clock spring..as much as the dealer charged me for it..

It should be covered completely by warranty. Some repairs have a lifetime parts/labor warranty, others have a year. Check your receipt.

Just like the COPs, the clockspring is just one of the finest engineering in our lincoln.

Why does everyone feel the need to blame the engineer for the substandard quality of a part. Do you blame Ford for the crappy tires a dealer put on a car? Do you blame the grocery store for the poorly made toothbrush? A manufacturer has only so much control over its suppliers and unless there is a much higher than normal failure rate, usually doesn't know there is a problem. Ford wasn't slow to fix the window regulator problem once they discovered the substandard piece. IIRC, it took 3 revisions to fix the problem.

As to the cooling parts, don't forget that manufacturers are looking t save every gram of weight they can. Would you rather have gummint mandated safety features or metal cooling pieces? And yes, that is one of their options. Saving weight is EVERYTHING!!!!! Like Joe said, these cars are inexpensive enough that someone who would never be able to afford it new can now get it second or third or fourth hand. It's still a luxury car. How handy that can afford an LS can get a comparable Benz? Or BMW ? Or Audi? Or even Cadillac?

Why does everyone feel the need to blame the engineer for the substandard quality of a part. Do you blame Ford for the crappy tires a dealer put on a car? Do you blame the grocery store for the poorly made toothbrush? A manufacturer has only so much control over its suppliers and unless there is a much higher than normal failure rate, usually doesn't know there is a problem. Ford wasn't slow to fix the window regulator problem once they discovered the substandard piece. IIRC, it took 3 revisions to fix the problem.

As to the cooling parts, don't forget that manufacturers are looking t save every gram of weight they can. Would you rather have gummint mandated safety features or metal cooling pieces? And yes, that is one of their options. Saving weight is EVERYTHING!!!!! Like Joe said, these cars are inexpensive enough that someone who would never be able to afford it new can now get it second or third or fourth hand. It's still a luxury car. How handy that can afford an LS can get a comparable Benz? Or BMW ? Or Audi? Or even Cadillac?

that's a complement, the only person to blame is me for buying a piece of turd from lincoln.

Members online

Back