High pitched tone

I recently replaced my THX nav head-unit with aftermarket. I retained the factory amps, speakers, subs, and wiring. The high pitched tone after startup is no more. Apparently, it really did originate in the THX nav head-unit or controller, not in the amps.

Interesting....... Do you think wrapping the HU in copper mesh would help? Like a Farada Cage?

Interesting....... Do you think wrapping the HU in copper mesh would help? Like a Farada Cage?

It seems more likely (to me) that the noise/signal is coming in on one of the wires connected to the unit.

I recently replaced my THX nav head-unit with aftermarket. I retained the factory amps, speakers, subs, and wiring. The high pitched tone after startup is no more. Apparently, it really did originate in the THX nav head-unit or controller, not in the amps.

Well, scratch that. It hasn't been making the noise, but today, I went to/from lunch with the radio off. It did make the tone one of the two times, with the radio off.

Well, scratch that. It hasn't been making the noise, but today, I went to/from lunch with the radio off. It did make the tone one of the two times, with the radio off.

Back to the amp as the offending unit????

That's all that left.

Joe, I was adding a Battery Tender pigtail to my battery and in the process broke the lead end on my aftermarket neg. cable. I cleaned up the factory cable (there was a whitish film on the battery post side so I cleaned that up to expose the copper) and the tone seems to be a bit quieter. I wonder if adding another ground line to the amp will help.

Thoughts?????

try cleaning your terminals on the battery take the head unit out and add a new ground touch the ground to the outside of the rca head you may also want to reground the motor and chassis to the battery if your running an aftermarket amp reground that too be sure to use sandpaper on the medal before you attach the cables they sell noise filters but i've never had luck with them

try cleaning your terminals on the battery take the head unit out and add a new ground touch the ground to the outside of the rca head you may also want to reground the motor and chassis to the battery if your running an aftermarket amp reground that too be sure to use sandpaper on the medal before you attach the cables they sell noise filters but i've never had luck with them

Nope.... Stock system with no RCA cables. Reread post #9.......

Do you (of COURSE you do :gr_hail:!!!!!!!) know which is the ground wire? Can you tell us?

Yes. Pins 9, 10, and 11 at the 4-channel amp connector C4208b are all shown as power grounds. All three wires are black with white band.

Yes. Pins 9, 10, and 11 at the 4-channel amp connector C4208b are all shown as power grounds. All three wires are black with white band.

Should I add the ground to all 3, separately?

Should I add the ground to all 3, separately?

Not sure. Lots of combinations to try, especially if you consider the three power wires. Maybe a supercap between the powers and the grounds right at the amp?

Not sure. Lots of combinations to try, especially if you consider the three power wires. Maybe a supercap between the powers and the grounds right at the amp?

That's over my head!!!

Members online

Back