2001 LS 3.0 motor shut off at speed on highway

aprsr

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My son went back to college about 90 miles from home he stopped at a rest stop, the car restarted well and he got back on the highway a few minutes later the car just shut off! No prior notice the car was running good but just abruptly shut off. The car will turn over but will not start! Any Ideas?

I did a scan and got the following:

P1000 on board diagnostic obd systems readiness test not complete

P1409 EVR Circuit Fault

An EGR problem shouldn't kill the car at highway speeds though. I would suspect a dead fuel pump based on symptoms. When the key is turned on but the engine not started can you hear the fuel pump run? Might also try resetting the fuel pump inertia switch in the trunk as well.

Pssssttttt..... The inertia switch is in the driver's kick panel.....

The first thing I checked was the switch in the drivers side kick panel, that was fine.

I just did another scan I clicked the scanner on as if the motor was running and tried to start the car it turned over about two times and ran perfect. I was doing the scan with key on only as the car would not start, I noticed that two fuel pumps are shown during the scan one is on and shows 49 lbs of preassure the other pump is off with no pressure!

When I tried to start the car the off fuel pump turned on and the car started, the car will run about five minutes and then shuts off but it only starts with the diag monitor plugged in?? looks like a fuel pump problem. I guess there are two pumps a push pump and a pressure pump?

P1000 doesn't really mean anything here........

Actually, it could mean a lot.
If aprsr hadn't disconnected the battery in a couple of weeks, then it means that the PCM lost all electrical power at some recent point. That would certainly make the engine stall.

Actually, it could mean a lot.
If aprsr hadn't disconnected the battery in a couple of weeks, then it means that the PCM lost all electrical power at some recent point. That would certainly make the engine stall.

I thought the P1000 was an insufficient drive cycle code.... I think that was the code I used to get after I cleared the codes after a repair. I never checked the codes after a battery replacement....

I thought the P1000 was an insufficient drive cycle code.... I think that was the code I used to get after I cleared the codes after a repair. I never checked the codes after a battery replacement....

I'm pretty sure you get that code after a battery disconnect too, but it's been a while...

I get the P1000 code when I unplug the battery for an extended period of time to do work. Not sure if the computer resets if it's unplugged for only a few minutes for a battery change.

Replaced my battery last year, didn`t get a P1000 code.

Did you scan for it? It wouldn't turn the check engine light on, but it should be there if you scan for all codes.

Check eng come on for the air pump after I installed the battery. I didn`t see the P1000 code

Members online

No members online now.
Back