V8 Hydraulic to electric fan for $100. Taurus fan, Volvo controller, BMW temp switch.

girlfriendsls

LVC Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend's 02 Lincoln LS V8 had a leaking hydraulic radiator fan system. What genius thought it would be a good idea to put a fluid system above the alternator? :confused: The alternator shorted out and I had to replace it. That was fun to diagnose. Plus getting it out was like solving a puzzle. :mad:

I drive a '75 Ford Bronco, and Bronco owners often use the Taurus two speed, single electric fan, so I applied it to the LS. I also got some of my info from here and other threads:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?68306-Cooling-Fan-Replacement

If you have a lot of items that suck power, such as aftermarket amps, you might want to upgrade your alternator. I have had good experiences with eBay seller powermaxusa. However, I am running a stock alternator and stereo system.

Parts:
I went to the LKQ salvage yard on a half off day and pulled a radiator fan and fuses from a low mileage mid 90's Ford Taurus with the 3.8L V6. When searching numerous vehicles, I found it easiest to just look for the 3.8L V6 symbol on top of the engine. They also have a big, flat radiator cover plate. Be sure to test the fan before buying it.

I pulled the fan controller and wiring off a mid 90's Volvo. It's usually attached to the top of the fan, under a cover. Get any mounting tabs, too. The Volvo fan will probably work as well as the Taurus fan, but the Taurus fan is easy to mount with little modification. Grab a spare fan controller while you are there, if you can find one.

I pulled a dual temp sensor and 90 degree connector wires from a mid 90's BMW. It is located on the passenger side of the radiator, near the top where it is easy to get to.

Total salvage yard cost, $40. I said it was all part of the single fan assembly.

I bought a 100 5/8" serpentine belt for about $40. Part #K061000/6K1000.

I bought a 50 amp relay and socket, a small fusible link and some 10 gauge wire.

Removal (note - I left the hydraulic fan pump in place):
Remove upper covers and air duct.
Remove upper radiator hose (passenger side), misc hoses and the hard tube that splits into each engine half (two bolts each side). Be careful when removing the tube, the seals will probably stay on the engine side.
Drain and remove the fan pump reservoir. Cut and plug/crimp pump line going to cooler (passenger side). Cut and plug/crimp fan line going to cooler (driver side). Cut the hard line going from the pump to the fan.
On the fan shroud, remove the one bolt holding the cylindrical canister, and the two bolts underneath it.
Remove the side bolts that hold the shroud in place.
Remove the upper radiator supports and carefully slide the fan/shroud upward and remove it. It might get caught on the cylindrical canister, I just cut off the shroud protrusions and it was clear. Replace the radiator supports.
100_3577.jpg

Make a note of the serpentine belt routing and remove it.
Use a pulley remover to remove the hydraulic pump pulley. Leave the pump in place, no fighting stuck bolts, no removing the alternator, unless you really want to. I had recently replaced the alternator and didn't want to remove it again to get to the pump.
100_3581.jpg

Clean the pulleys if they need it and install the new shorter belt. It will clear the hydraulic pump. The grooves will ride on the smooth idler above the hydraulic pump.
100_3582.jpg

Assembly:
Mount the Volvo fan controller and fusible links to the fan shroud.
100_3569.jpg
100_3570.jpg

I didn't get many pics of it, but the wiring is fairly straightforward, this diagram shows the basic idea...
http://s214.photobucket.com/user/red04svtcobra/media/TaurusWire.png.html

From the fusible link go to the Volvo fan controller #30, the single red wire.

Connect the Volvo fan controller In 1 to the BMW temp sensor T1 (Low speed).
Connect the Volvo fan controller In 2 to the BMW temp sensor T2 (High speed).

Connect the Volvo fan controller Out 1 to the fan low speed.
Connect the Volvo fan controller Out 2 to the fan high speed.

Connect the grounds of the BMW temp sensor and fan to a single ground wire (10 gauge or higher).

Mount the fan:
Roughly place the fan. Position it to the driver side edge. Align the top of the shroud with the top of the radiator. Trim the top square on the driver side so it clears and sits flat on the edge (see pic). Trim the bottom corner so the hoses clear. Trim the side so it fits in the slot that the original shroud sat in. I matched the top mounting hole in the shroud to a hole in the radiator. Then I drilled a hole in the shroud to match a second hole in the radiator. Bolt in place when fit is right.
100_3587.jpg

Install the temp gauge:
The hard coolant tube has a place that can be threaded for a temp sensor, such as on a Jaguar.
http://auto-lich.eu/img/Nummer/767_Jaguar_S_Type/1/2/Kuehlwasser_Schlaeuche1.JPG
On the Lincoln, it is just blocked off. I didn't have a M14 x 1.5 tap to do that. Plus it is a fragile glass/plastic material and I don't know how it will react. Plus I wanted the sensor to be lower. So I had to use a nut on a flat part.
Finding a M14 x 1.5 nut is difficult, so I cut off a piece of a matching lug nut. I painted it to at least make an effort to keep it from corroding.
I lined up the nut inside the tube, going as far back as I could while keeping it flat (make sure you leave room for the sensor and bolt). I marked the spot and drilled a pilot hole, eventually going up to a 1/2" hole. I wiggled the bit around until the hole was just large enough to screw in the temp sensor. Be very careful, the material is more fragile than you think.
100_3571.jpg

100_3573.jpg

I inserted the bolt. Then I used thermostat sealant on the threads/edges of the temp switch and lug nut and installed them. Be sure the sensor ground wire is facing you so that the 90 degree connector does not hit the engine (opposite of what I did here, oops).
100_3594.jpg

Wipe off the top of the sensor so it is unobstructed.
100_3593.jpg

Let it dry, attach the temp switch harness, and re-install the tube and hoses.
100_3597.jpg

Power to system:
Finish the electrical wiring. Use a "key on" power signal to trigger a 50/30 amp relay - tap into the front power distribution box, relay #9, Wiper Run/Acc, top left pin, yellow/black stripe wire. I cut a hole in the side of the box and used a grommet for the two wires going to the external relay. You can try to use an empty socket in the box instead, but I couldn't get the pins to fit easily.
Page 188.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/2002LincolnLS-OwnersManual.pdf

Have the relay switch connect the power distribution box side terminal (constant power) to the small fusible link on the fan shroud (10+ gauge wire).
Or, alternately (this makes more sense), go from the side terminal, to the fusible link, to the relay, and then to the fan controller #30.

Connect the ground wire for the relay and the ground wire from the fan/temp switch to a good ground. I found an empty hole just above the distribution box, so I removed the paint around it and used a bolt/nut and connector to secure the wires.
100_3595.jpg

Re-install the air intake tube.

Fill/bleed your cooling system per spec. The heater bleed is important, the heater wasn't working before and started working after I bled it. I fixed that problem without even trying.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/CoolingSystemDraining/

The low speed fan should come on after revving at 2k for a few minutes. It is rare for the high speed fan to come on, so it won't be much of a drain on the alternator.

Check for leaks. Replace the covers. Enjoy your cool new system! Get a back rub! :cool:

I'm open to any suggestions.

100_3595.jpg

100_3577.jpg

100_3581.jpg

100_3582.jpg

100_3569.jpg

100_3570.jpg

100_3587.jpg

100_3571.jpg

100_3573.jpg

100_3594.jpg

100_3593.jpg

100_3597.jpg

Very creative, nice work. I may use some of your ideas.

The only thing I dont like is the amp draw of the Taurus fans. IIRC they draw 30plus amps on an already starved electrical system. And upgrading a gen1 LS alternator has almost never worked. Very nice write up. Thanks

Good write up - My only suggestion would be to replace that Fram filter with anything but a Fram filter. Also, you may want to replace your serpentine belt with all that coolant on it.

Wow! This is cool, literally. It is also an excellently written protocol for the conversion.

One hint: If you don't have a proper tap it is possible to make one by filing a groove into the threads of the bolt, simulating the shape of a self tapping screw.

Excellent writeup and good scavenging of different parts!
Do you know the switch specs for the BWM temp sensor? The stock PCM likes to run the engine around 230deg.
The aluminum cylinder is the A/C accumulator. It can be pretty tough to get the fan out without removing that and then dealing with the A/C. Do try to remount its bracket to the new fan so the A/C hoses are supported.

excellent writeup, sure it will help a lot of Gen1 owners when the time comes.

About the temp sensor, did you use the BMW because it's available? why not use the one that comes with the volvo controller? Not really a fan of drilling holes on the fragile plastic parts of the cooling system, do you think buying that Jaguar cooling part with the sensor make things more bullet proof?

oddball;2037330947... The stock PCM likes to run the engine around 230deg....[/QUOTE said:
Are you sure about that?
I've driven around in my gen II V8 with a scan tool attached. The engine coolant temperature stayed at about 199° (ranged from 195° to 205°).

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the feedback, this is a work in progress that I just installed yesterday and things might change. The Bronco, Jeep, Mustang and hot rod communities often use this setup. On the LS, it leaves a small area uncovered on the radiator's passenger side and on the bottom, but not enough to make a difference. The high cfm of the fan makes up for it. It's a pretty quiet fan, too.

hite337 - I've seen various claims on the Taurus fan amperage, I'll have to measure it now that it is installed to be sure. Various radiator setups/thickness create various loads on the fan, resulting in various measured amp draws. My thinking/hope is the fan is very efficient at cooling and will not be on for very long. Plus the Motorcraft thermostat is set to open at 190 F (some aftermarkets are even 183 F), and the low fan comes on at 195.8 F. The high speed should rarely come on. I'll keep an eye on it, thanks, especially when the days get hotter. Supposedly the Volvo fan draws slightly less on high speed. The LS has a stock stereo system and my girlfriend doesn't crank it. If it doesn't work out, eBay member powermaxusa makes great 200 amp alternators for $180. I have one in my Bronco. It comes with a one year warranty. He is local to me and I've been to his shop. I'll let you know what happens.

myfirstlincoln - My girlfriend takes her car to a shop for oil changes (though I offer to do it), so the Fram filter isn't my idea. I did wash down the engine bay with a hose before starting it, thanks.

smoothLSV8 - Great idea for making a tap that can cut softer materials. M14 x 1.5 lugs are easier to find at Pep Boys than a bolt that size locally. All of the shops with hard to find tools and parts are closing around here. Welcome to the disposable world where people don't fix things themselves any more.

oddball - The dual temp fan switch is a BMW# 1 378 073. Low on at 195.8 F / High on at 210 F (91/99 C). If I idle at 2k rpm for a few minutes, the car still runs with the temp gauge right in the middle, where it was previously with the stock system. A Motorcraft thermostat is 190 F, so a fan coming on at 195.8 F should work. I couldn't remount the A/C accumulator to the fan shroud (the mount tab won't work with the narrow fan shroud), but I did use a huge tie wrap around the plastic T of the radiator hose as support. Might have to revisit that.

lincolelite - I'm not a fan of drilling into fragile plastic/glass parts either. I kept thinking about how screwed I'd be if I messed it up. Starting with a small drill bit helped. The BMW sensor is a dual temp, three wire switch. It switches low to ground and high to ground. The 2002 Jaguar S-type sensor in the tube (I think it's a smaller M12 x 1.5 thread according to the internet) is a two wire unit, so it won't work. Same with the Volvo temp sensor, it's a two wire. I wish it was that easy.

I have tried 2 powermaxx alternators. They dont work with the 1st gen LS's PCM controlled charging system. I havent found a HO alternator that will work correctly on the 1st gen LS and I've tried more than a few.

hite337 - Wow, just found the alternator thread. The powermaxx (is this the one from Australia?) and DB alternators seem like crap. Is the alternator quality poor or is it due to the PCM? Do you know for sure? Many HO alts die from cheap diodes, etc.

What if you didn't connect the PCM controller and went with a single wire alternator like many Ford conversions use? Would the computer throw an error?

I have a powermaxusa (Burbank, CA) 200 amp single wire alternator in my Bronco. Been over a year now with no problems. He also makes one for the LS.
Feel free to give him a call at 310-530-6410.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALTERNATOR-...l:LS|Make:Lincoln&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cca44e643

The PCM controls the alternator output so HO alternators will not work on the LS. Its not that they fail...its that they dont operate correctly. When you rev the engine, for example, the headlights get very bright for a split second. Also the voltage at idle is usually below 12v

The only thing I dont like is the amp draw of the Taurus fans. IIRC they draw 30plus amps on an already starved electrical system.

as i recall, this is exactly why the first gen LS has a hydro pump in the first place. not enough power.

as i recall, this is exactly why the first gen LS has a hydro pump in the first place. not enough power.

So the ford engineers designed an overkill hydro pump instead and put it on top of the alternator. As if those guys started building cars yesterday. The 2000 Jaguar S-Type is already using an electric fan, why make things more complicated over at Ford?

So the ford engineers designed an overkill hydro pump instead and put it on top of the alternator. As if those guys started building cars yesterday. The 2000 Jaguar S-Type is already using an electric fan, why make things more complicated over at Ford?

Well then why not use the Jag fan???????

The hydraulic fan also allows the fan to turn as long as the engine is running. It also is part of the limp-home mode.

Well then why not use the Jag fan???????
Exactly, the problem is the scarcity of the Jag parts in the boneyard.

The hydraulic fan also allows the fan to turn as long as the engine is running. It also is part of the limp-home mode.
As long as the alternator is alive and not get busted because of hydraulic fluid leaking over it. Just imagine the complexity when you can just install a high output alternator.

I agree. It's not like there haven't been up to 200 amp alternators on the market for 20+ years, and they have been using electric fans on high performance engines for decades as well. Using a hydraulic fan in anything in the passenger car arena for the last 20 years has simply not been good engineering. They could just as easily let the PCM control the fans the same way it controls the hydraulic fan, in fact I think one of the conversions here had the car's owner doing just that. Plus there's the weight to consider as an electric fan, a slightly larger alternator and a bit of wiring weighs less than the hydro setup with fluid would.

I'd be interested in a before and after mileage check for anyone who converted.

Last edited:
Have you tried a voltage control module like this?
"Your vehicle PCM can drop your charging voltage to 12.0 or lower. Stop losing power due to your PCM control. HO alternator voltage control module allows the operation of your high power alternator system at a voltage between 14.7 and 15.3 VDC, even if the main PCM is attempting to turn down the voltage to 12.0 or lower. "
http://www.highoutputalternator.com/voltage control module.htm

Even if you could get it to work, the stock Jag alternator is only 120 amps.

You mean hydraulic right?

Yes, meant hydraulic. It didn't look right while I was typing it but at the time I couldn't figure out why... :confused: My bad, brain tooted on me...

...less than the hydro setup with fluid would.

No idea why I typed pneumatic twice, but then correctly put hydro at the end... EMMMM-Barassing!

Have you tried a voltage control module like this?
"Your vehicle PCM can drop your charging voltage to 12.0 or lower. Stop losing power due to your PCM control. HO alternator voltage control module allows the operation of your high power alternator system at a voltage between 14.7 and 15.3 VDC, even if the main PCM is attempting to turn down the voltage to 12.0 or lower. "
http://www.highoutputalternator.com/voltage control module.htm

Even if you could get it to work, the stock Jag alternator is only 120 amps.

Those guys listed a 180 amp for my '02 LS6

Yes, meant hydraulic. It didn't look right while I was typing it but at the time I couldn't figure out why... :confused: My bad, brain tooted on me...

No idea why I typed pneumatic twice, but then correctly put hydro at the end... EMMMM-Barassing!

I was working a mid shift once when FEDEX called for a beacon code. The link between us and the center was down so I called them for one. They gave one to me that didn't sound quite right, but what does at 0330!! He called back an hour or two later saying his transponder must be broken as the digits only went to 7 and I had issued an 8 or 9 (I can't remember)! :slam:slam !! THAT'S WHAT WAS WRONG!!!!!! Transponders only have 8 digits; 0-7. Man did I feel stupid!! At least we got a good laugh out of it!!

Looks good, I had one on a twin turbo'd Capri a good many years ago, thing was a power hog and hard on relays. I ended up with a pair of 40A relays in parallel for both speeds. It made a lot of noise but didn't cool worth a darn in the summertime. 351w with the turbos' up front in a '83 Capri...

My hydraulic pump and fan went out about 4 months ago..it would have been wayyyy too expensive to replace the factory items..so I went with the elec fan conversion on my 00 along with radiator, a/c lines..(Midas Muffler broke all of the existing lines trying to do the conversion..they killed themselves eating the parts and labor to install all new lines..took them 14 damn days to do the job...wtf. Have had no issues since the replacement...fan runs the entire time the ignition is turned on..and there is a noticeable increase in power without the hydraulic pump in anymore. Fan noise is noticeable..but with the K&N filter and custom exhaust..it kinda fits in..lmao. Sounds like a mini jet waiting to take off..:)

Members online

Back