Gear shifter console reolacement help

KingJacobo

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
my 93 Marks button on the shifter cracked and has been held on with a rubber band so I can still shift gears and not have the button fly out.

I ordered a gear shifter with console attached from ebay. tried to install it, tore out the entire old console except for the last 2 bolts on the front. I could not figure out how to access them!

any ideas? I also couldn't figure out how to remove just the shifter knob from the new console to replace the old one.

pic of 2 bolts:

my 93 Marks button on the shifter cracked and has been held on with a rubber band so I can still shift gears and not have the button fly out.

I ordered a gear shifter with console attached from ebay. tried to install it, tore out the entire old console except for the last 2 bolts on the front. I could not figure out how to access them!

any ideas? I also couldn't figure out how to remove just the shifter knob from the new console to replace the old one.

pic of 2 bolts:

Here

uploadfromtaptalk1387652966576.jpg

Instructions I found by "Driller"

1. Remove transmission control switch using a small screwdriver
and gently prying between switch housing and knob assembly.

2. Remove retaining clip from selector knob.

3. Hold selector knob securely and press release button.

4. Pull up on selector knob.

Instructions from someone else.

MARK VIII 93-96
For the Mark VIII 93-96 it's important to change the OD button first because of the way the electrical contacts work:
1. Carefully take out the O/D button.
2. Take out the shift knob fastening;
3. Carefully remove the shift knob;
To install a new shift knob do these steps in reverse order because of the O/D button contacts! (It is possible to damage contacts of the O/D button!)

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/showpost.php?p=826245&postcount=4

Thanks but I was using that longer step by step, and unless I'm missing something, it doesn't mention those last 2 bolts.

It's been a while but I think if you pull the air tube that goes trough to the back you can get an extension on those bolts.

I've had it in and out and don't remember anything too tricky.

QUESTION FOR ALL... while we re on this shifter knob topic. Will a gen 2 shift knob work on a gen 1???? My mocha is horrib and there's a nice blk gen 2 in the boneyard

Why remove the whole shifter if the only problem is the shifter? The shifter could've been removed without removing the whole assembly.

I couldn't figure out how to remove just the shifter on the replacement. How do I do that?

Members online

Back