Subwoofer system upgrade for 2000-2001

Mr.Howie

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Don't like that huge enclosure taking up space in the trunk?

Want to take some weight out of your trunk?

Want your subwoofer to work better? Have an LS without a subwoofer?

Try this sub. system upgrade.

Unplug the electrical connector on the driver's side of the enclosure.

Remove the recessed nuts with a deep socket that hold up the plastic enclosure (10MM socket).

Remove the whole plastic enclosure with attached amp and speaker assembly.

Remove the black mounting studs from the rear deck shelf trunk side (for safety).

Tear out any loose foam that was above the speakers (some LS models only).

Remove the torx T20 that hold the speakers. Remove speakers from enclosure.

Remove the torx T30 screws that hold in the amplifier.

Carefully remove the speaker wiring from the plastic enclosure, the wiring will be reused.

Discard the ground strap and the whole plastic enclosure.

Obtain 4 self tapping screws as shown.

Remove the driver's side trunk liner for a clear view into the left side of the trunk & wheel well area.

Mount the amplifier with the speaker wiring plug at approx. 10:00 onto the metal plate at the front of the wheel well just behind the rear seat back.

Plug in the speaker wiring plug into the amp & route the speaker wires to the speaker holes.

Note: The speaker holes on package shelf are too large for the speakers (2000-2001 only)

Fabricate some short metal straps with a hole in each end approx 1 1/4" long and mount to the rear of the speaker (see photo).

Using some self tapping screws mount each speaker centered in the speaker holes with the electrical connectors toward the driver's side of the car.

Connect the speaker wiring to the speakers (length modifications may have to be made to some of the speaker wiring).

Fill the gap between the speaker with silicone, window urethane, or bumper repair epoxy (fast type). Failure to do this will result in no bass.

Secure the speaker wires with adhesive, butyl tape or suitable method so that the wiring will not rattle.

Put the liner back in the trunk.

The rear deck shelf panel may have to be removed to glue the vents to the board and put foam under the plastic vents or a rattle will occur at high volume levels. (Optional - While you are there add some Q pad or Dynamat on the rear shelf to reduce cancelation waves).

Remove both "B Pillar trim panels to access panel. Remove push pins and lower plastic trim before removing rear deck panel.

Enjoy a completely different stereo system.

Mr. H

DSC03179.jpg

DSC03181.jpg

DSC03180.jpg

DSC03183.jpg

DSC03184.jpg

DSC03186.jpg

DSC03190.jpg

DSC03193.jpg

DSC03194.jpg

DSC03199.jpg

DSC03201.jpg

DSC03203.jpg

DSC03204.jpg

DSC03206.jpg

DSC03208.jpg

DSC03210.jpg

DSC03213.jpg

DSC03218.jpg

DSC03212.jpg

With holes that big I'd be putting some dedicated 8" subs in there (probably defeats the purpose of using the factory stuff, I know)

Upgrade is already done on the 2002

Will this work on my 2002 with the alpine system?

The subwoofer upgrade is already done on the 2002. You will need to look at my upcoming post on securing the trunk package shelf liner and getting another 1 1/4 inches height out of your trunk.

I would switch ampfliers with the older one from a 2001 LS or town car. It's a better amp.

With holes that big I'd be putting some dedicated 8" subs in there (probably defeats the purpose of using the factory stuff, I know)

Can be done, just more work. Only would need one 8" sub. plug the other hole with sheet metal. Watch out for wiring and defogger/antenna electronics on the package shelf.

The subwoofer upgrade is already done on the 2002. You will need to look at my upcoming post on securing the trunk package shelf liner and getting another 1 1/4 inches height out of your trunk.

I would switch ampfliers with the older one from a 2001 LS or town car. It's a better amp.

I will be waiting on the update!!!!

For 2002 Lincoln LS purchase the amp for 2001 Lincoln LS. The 2002 uses the pickup truck amp (Lincoln Blackwood truck) and it will make a loud pop if used on this system. The older style amp used on 2001 LS, Town car and other Ford product. This amp has more power and does not pop when turned on. Can be mounted under the deck in same location as the original amp and same connectors will fit the amp.

My 2002 Lincoln LS Rear Deck Subwoofer Amp is: 2C6F-18C808-AA

Which amp would you suggest to replace it with from the below list (or is there another one you'd recommend)?

F8OF-18C808-BA
F8VF-18C808-BA
F8VF-18C808-CA
YL8F-18C808-AC

Would I need to remove the 5V voltage regulator that I have installed that prevents the pop on the stock amp if I install one of the above amps?

Do I need the 5V voltage regulator on the existing stock center channel amp to prevent the pop?

I love the idea of getting rid of the enclosure and getting back some space in my trunk. But when I see the speakers exposed, it makes me nervous for some reason. I wonder if there is a easy and low-profile way to cover just the speakers?

Guys, just be careful. While it will work, you need to make sure the subwoofer can perform in an Infinite Baffle (IB) setup , which is basically what this is. If a sub is not designed to work in this manner, you will bottom out the sub with little power and cause damage to it.

I love the idea of getting rid of the enclosure and getting back some space in my trunk. But when I see the speakers exposed, it makes me nervous for some reason. I wonder if there is a easy and low-profile way to cover just the speakers?
zombie thread, but yes. Speaker baffles are available from many places for not much money. Not mounting baffles, but cups that enclose the speaker. Kills bass response though.

Guys, just be careful. While it will work, you need to make sure the subwoofer can perform in an Infinite Baffle (IB) setup , which is basically what this is. If a sub is not designed to work in this manner, you will bottom out the sub with little power and cause damage to it.

This man speaketh the truth. IB setups are incredibly accurate and deep without being really loud, and don't require much power at all. Super easy on the electrical. Excellent idea in the LS, retains a lot of trunk space. Doesn't take much power, and some people would be surprised what subs are well-suited for this arrangement. Granted, I'm referring to a setup utilizing much more than the stock 6x9s. I may pursue this one day when I'm feeling very patient.

OP, thanks for the write up.

My 2002 Lincoln LS Rear Deck Subwoofer Amp is: 2C6F-18C808-AA

Which amp would you suggest to replace it with from the below list (or is there another one you'd recommend)?

F8OF-18C808-BA
F8VF-18C808-BA
F8VF-18C808-CA
YL8F-18C808-AC

Would I need to remove the 5V voltage regulator that I have installed that prevents the pop on the stock amp if I install one of the above amps?

Do I need the 5V voltage regulator on the existing stock center channel amp to prevent the pop?

Being that this thread was posted on again. Can someone please help with this question. Which amp is the right one to upgrade the 2002 w/ Alpine so it has more power and does not POP? Thanks

Being that this thread was posted on again. Can someone please help with this question. Which amp is the right one to upgrade the 2002 w/ Alpine so it has more power and does not POP? Thanks

Since you don't need much power to get tons of sound level there is very little chance of bottoming out the speakers. Have done this on about a dozen LS with no problems. Also in the 2002 they got rid of the the big plastic box and ran them as infinite baffle. They also went to a 2 ohm speaker and used a smaller amp. in 2002. People are always skeptical about this when I recommend it. When I do this conversion for a customer it makes them a believer.

Since you don't need much power to get tons of sound level there is very little chance of bottoming out the speakers. Have done this on about a dozen LS with no problems. Also in the 2002 they got rid of the the big plastic box and ran them as infinite baffle. They also went to a 2 ohm speaker and used a smaller amp. in 2002. People are always skeptical about this when I recommend it. When I do this conversion for a customer it makes them a believer.

ok thanks, but I'm still trying to find out: Which amp is the right one to upgrade the 2002 w/ Alpine so it has more power and does not POP? Thanks

ok thanks, but I'm still trying to find out: Which amp is the right one to upgrade the 2002 w/ Alpine so it has more power and does not POP? Thanks

I agree with his question as to which would be the best amp. But I think the pop is actually coming from some bad capacitors in the amp. I just dont know which capacitors. So I'm also guessing that the connectors are the same for the earlier model amps?...

Members online

No members online now.
Back