coil packs

Maxx

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
How do you know which one is bad, and where can i get them. Tired of paying someone else to do this

Advance or OReilly will scan it for free but verify the codes

How do you know which one is bad, and where can i get them. Tired of paying someone else to do this

Modified from an old commercial...... You can replace them all now or you can replace them one by one later.....

You are right, a mechanic replaced only the bad ones and now he is doing it regularly

it would be nice if we could send all of our coil packs to the engineers who designed this system or build a christmas tree out of it and send it to one of the Lincoln dealers here.
It's probably going to be a huge tree.

it would be nice if we could send all of our coil packs to the engineers who designed this system or build a christmas tree out of it and send it to one of the Lincoln dealers here.
It's probably going to be a huge tree.

You must keep in mind they were manufactured to a price point; design has nothing to do with it. Any vehicle can be manufactured with ultimate safety and longevity of parts. I guaranty it would it would be unaffordable.......

You must keep in mind they were manufactured to a price point; design has nothing to do with it. Any vehicle can be manufactured with ultimate safety and longevity of parts. I guaranty it would it would be unaffordable.......

On this, I must disagree. GM factory replacement coils go for 30 bucks each, and last hundreds of thousands of miles while exposed to the elements, inclusing splashed water, under the hood. Water does not bother them, and they are bulletproof. Lincoln simply dropped the ball on the COPs. Were I planning to keep my LS long term, then the next time my COPs fail I'd be modifying the car to use GM coils instead of Lincoln COPs.

On this, I must disagree. GM factory replacement coils go for 30 bucks each, and last hundreds of thousands of miles while exposed to the elements, inclusing splashed water, under the hood. Water does not bother them, and they are bulletproof. Lincoln simply dropped the ball on the COPs. Were I planning to keep my LS long term, then the next time my COPs fail I'd be modifying the car to use GM coils instead of Lincoln COPs.

Still a manufacturing issue and not a design issue. A coil is a coil is a coil........

I think it's a design issue (electrical), why would all the coil pack die if one dies? I have a 98 lincoln continental and it's still using the original COP. When the valve cover leaked and soaked the COPs with oil I just replaced the plastic boot and that's it. If it's a manufacturing issue then why other brands still fail the same way?

I think it's a design issue (electrical), why would all the coil pack die if one dies? I have a 98 lincoln continental and it's still using the original COP. When the valve cover leaked and soaked the COPs with oil I just replaced the plastic boot and that's it. If it's a manufacturing issue then why other brands still fail the same way?

It's a problem with the epoxy that the COPs are potted with. It could be that the wrong epoxy (design issue) was specified, but that seems unlikely since they were well aware of what epoxy worked and what didn't by the 1990s. More likely, it is/was an issue with the way the manufacturer mixed and cured the epoxy, or with the supplier of the epoxy used.

It's a problem with the epoxy that the COPs are potted with. It could be that the wrong epoxy (design issue) was specified, but that seems unlikely since they were well aware of what epoxy worked and what didn't by the 1990s. More likely, it is/was an issue with the way the manufacturer mixed and cured the epoxy, or with the supplier of the epoxy used.

And the problem continues on through today? By now they should have figured it out and changed the epoxy on the replacements, if this were the case. Something else must be up because I can't see them continuing to spec out a defective epoxy 13 years after the car was made. At least the non-Motorcraft versions should have changed the mix if for no other reason than to become the reliable brand.

Since a failing COP can affect the PCM, I wonder if a failing COP is backfeeding to the other COPs somehow, causing them all to fail?

And the problem continues on through today? By now they should have figured it out and changed the epoxy on the replacements, if this were the case. Something else must be up because I can't see them continuing to spec out a defective epoxy 13 years after the car was made. At least the non-Motorcraft versions should have changed the mix if for no other reason than to become the reliable brand.

Since a failing COP can affect the PCM, I wonder if a failing COP is backfeeding to the other COPs somehow, causing them all to fail?

That's what happens with an orphan car.......

My 2005 Is has the cops warenteed for one hundred thousand miles' just had them replaced no charge by dealer.

My 2005 Is has the cops warenteed for one hundred thousand miles' just had them replaced no charge by dealer.

Wow, never heard of 100,000 mile warranty or 8 years. You must have paid a premium for that.

I bought my L's used 2005 with 37000 miles in April of 2012 with no extend warentee the Cops have a Ford recall ten year one hundred thousand mile warente, my advise is if your Is falls in this recall have your dealer check and replace the cops as needed for free. Mine have been all replaced within a four week intervil once they started replacing them one at a time another would fail so all were done, The catch is the recall would only allow for one each visit and then another cop would fail he he all new gaskets on valve covers and a free service with each replacement.

...The catch is the recall would only allow for one each visit and then another cop would fail he he all new gaskets on valve covers and a free service with each replacement.

Not exactly true. To replace more than two in one visit, the dealer has to contact the factory for permission.

Valve cover gaskets per the extended warranty are only covered on the 2003. COP cover gaskets, they might throw in.

Members online

Back