Degas bottle I think

Stopsign002

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
LS overheated. I was able to let it cool down then drive it to a safe place. Girlfriend caught up with me at that point and gave me some 50/50. I refilled the reservoir and by the time I got home it was almost completely empty again (most it drained out at one stop according to my girlfriend who was driving behind me) yet I had managed to keep the heat low enough to get home. I then refilled it again and let it idle for awhile in the driveway to see where it was leaking. It wouldnt leak for me. I remember people saying that this is usually indicative of a cracked degas because it'll expand once the fluid gets hot and then leak out correct? Just wanted to get a second opinion before I order a bottle and go through the process of replacing it. Thanks

Also, this is the correct bottle yes?
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-603-20...86278998&sr=8-1&keywords=lincoln+ls+reservoir

Buy only motorcraft degas bottle. Many threads on this. Also, you need to replace ALL of the plastic cooling components because you will soon experience this same issue. They all fail around the same time.

Side note, I see in your profile your from michigan and like longboards. Well, same here! Haha

LS overheated. I was able to let it cool down then drive it to a safe place. Girlfriend caught up with me at that point and gave me some 50/50. I refilled the reservoir and by the time I got home it was almost completely empty again (most it drained out at one stop according to my girlfriend who was driving behind me) yet I had managed to keep the heat low enough to get home. I then refilled it again and let it idle for awhile in the driveway to see where it was leaking. It wouldnt leak for me. I remember people saying that this is usually indicative of a cracked degas because it'll expand once the fluid gets hot and then leak out correct? Just wanted to get a second opinion before I order a bottle and go through the process of replacing it. Thanks

Also, this is the correct bottle yes?
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-603-20...86278998&sr=8-1&keywords=lincoln+ls+reservoir

This same thing seems to be dicussed every week on this forum.
I `am not sure why you can`t search. Everything is right here what you need to do.

Buy only motorcraft degas bottle. Many threads on this. Also, you need to replace ALL of the plastic cooling components because you will soon experience this same issue. They all fail around the same time.

Ah yes, forgot about getting the motorcraft one. It's been quite awhile since I've been a regular here. Thanks. I've actually replaced a lot of the plastic parts already because of a weird thing that ended up happening. Thermostat housing and everything is already new within 10K or so miles. Just never got around to the degas. Thanks for the reminder though

Side note, I see in your profile your from michigan and like longboards. Well, same here! Haha

Haha yeah man. I don't longboard as much as I used to, but I still love it. Snowboarding is what I'm really into but longboarding helps for those hot months haha.

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a crack in the radiator that only leaked when pressurized (I made it happen in front of me by hitting the gas when parked when the car was at normal temperature). I wouldn't just assume it's any part without doing some troubleshooting first. The easy way to diagnose the degas would be to trace the leak. You may not SEE it leaking, but maybe you're not looking hard enough. Check behind the driverside front tire to see if it's leaking there. If you don't see anything, look behind the wheel well (remove the bottom portion) and see if it's wet - if it hasn't been raining and it's wet there you can almost certainly conclude it's either the degas or the hose connecting to the bottom of the degas. If it's leaking up front, it could be any of the other components. Get the car up to normal temp, let it sit for a bit, if you don't see it leaking, step on the gas (while in park obviously) for a few and check again. Chances are good that it is your degas, especially if you haven't replaced it already, but chances are also good that it could be something else. I wouldn't just start buying parts without troubleshooting first.

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a crack in the radiator that only leaked when pressurized (I made it happen in front of me by hitting the gas when parked when the car was at normal temperature). I wouldn't just assume it's any part without doing some troubleshooting first. The easy way to diagnose the degas would be to trace the leak. You may not SEE it leaking, but maybe you're not looking hard enough. Check behind the driverside front tire to see if it's leaking there. If you don't see anything, look behind the wheel well (remove the bottom portion) and see if it's wet - if it hasn't been raining and it's wet there you can almost certainly conclude it's either the degas or the hose connecting to the bottom of the degas. If it's leaking up front, it could be any of the other components. Get the car up to normal temp, let it sit for a bit, if you don't see it leaking, step on the gas (while in park obviously) for a few and check again. Chances are good that it is your degas, especially if you haven't replaced it already, but chances are also good that it could be something else. I wouldn't just start buying parts without troubleshooting first.

Oh yeah sorry I forgot to mention that I could see fluid leaking down from behind the driver side wheel basically directly under the degas. Kinda an important part I left out there haha. Doh

Either Degas or the hose attached to the bottom of the Degas then. +1 for Motorcraft as suggested. The Dorman bottle I replaced mine with before I joined this forum lasted less than a year before I replaced it again. It's a POS.

Either Degas or the hose attached to the bottom of the Degas then. +1 for Motorcraft as suggested. The Dorman bottle I replaced mine with before I joined this forum lasted less than a year before I replaced it again. It's a POS.

Damn yeah I'll avoid that. How visible were the cracks on yours? I haven't been able to see any, so I'm starting to wonder if its the hose. Of course I haven't gotten a fantastic look at it or anything. I'm gonna do some exploring this weekend. Of course it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the degas anyway even if its just the hose

The cracks on mine were located on the bottom, near the hose and near the part of the bottle that rests up against the edge of the car (you most likely won't see them - until you pull the bottle out). It is a fairly easy job WITH THE EXCEPTION of removing the bottom hose, it has one of those annoying clips that needs to be pulled on both sides to loosen with needle nose pliers or whatever... the problem is not only the clip, but accessing the clip. I used a tool - I don't remember it's name - but it looks like needle nose pliers attached to long cables that allow you to grip the pliers from 2-3 feet away. This made this 10xs easier.

Also, the motorcraft bottle comes with the hose.

The cracks on mine were located on the bottom, near the hose and near the part of the bottle that rests up against the edge of the car (you most likely won't see them - until you pull the bottle out). It is a fairly easy job WITH THE EXCEPTION of removing the bottom hose, it has one of those annoying clips that needs to be pulled on both sides to loosen with needle nose pliers or whatever... the problem is not only the clip, but accessing the clip. I used a tool - I don't remember it's name - but it looks like needle nose pliers attached to long cables that allow you to grip the pliers from 2-3 feet away. This made this 10xs easier.

Also, the motorcraft bottle comes with the hose.

Awesome. Thanks for all the information man.

Anytime!

Here's a similiar tool to the one I used (I rented it for free from Pep Boys):

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumat...8&qid=1386339526&sr=1-1&keywords=cable+pliers

Also, one thing I forgot to mention is the Motorcraft bottle doesn't come with a new cap. You'd have to purchase that separately, if you wanted to replace it.

Once you complete the degas change, make sure you follow the coolant bleeding procedure in the Tech Articles section (above) verbatim.

Stops, long time no see!

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

As you can see, they don't crack in an easy to see spot, it's when you get it out and under light, you'll clearly notice the cracks.
It's not the lines going to it or from it ... and yes, they like to leak when up to temp w/ pressure. I was losing heat on the interior,
it was mostly intermittent and the DCCV + the Aux coolant flow pump were part of my heating problems.

It never overheated for me but did run low on Coolant and eventually pissed down the driverside wheel.

Re&Re - OEM Degas Bottle - GEN 1 V8
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?88661-Re-amp-Re-OEM-Degas-Bottle-GEN-1-V8

GLW w/ repairs. ~ let me know if you need anything out of the workshop repair manuals.

PS: get a second person to hold the idle up while you bleed.

Members online

No members online now.
Back