Engine rattles on startup

Mine doesn't. Of course, mine also has a new(ish, at this point) belt, tensioner and idler pulley, none of which helped.

i just put in a new belt so i figured it cant be that , the other noise is gone though and all im left with is the squeeking noise

does anyone else have their belt squeek after that noise occurs until the car warms up ?

I don't have the rattling noise. I do have the belt squeak or chirping noise for a few minutes until the engine warms up.
Unfortunately, I know what the issue is in my case. It's the damper pulley. It wobbles around because the rubber between the inner and outer parts has contracted. It was one from a bad batch that Ford made. I haven't replaced it yet because the pulley alone is over $700. Replacement of the belt tensioner will eliminate the noise for a few months until the new tensioner is worn out from all the movement caused by the bad damper.

No belt noise just the rattle on a cold start.keep in mind mines Not due to weather. Due to engine temp. But there are so many of us with the same issue. It can't possibly be a timing tensionor. Or could it?

well i found out my harmonic balancer is the issue for squeeking and probably knocking noise , anyone know where to get this part for an 06? would appreciate the help

thank you for your input, the salvage yard selling me the harmonic balancer says he is 100 percent sure it fits , i just wanted a second opinion :D

thank you , is the bolt on the previous link u sent me , fordsgiant ?

I don't know. You may have to call either place and talk to someone to get the right parts ordered. Also please note that the service manual claims that the oil cooler has to be removed. I'd want to get the seals for that too.

/end hijack

No belt noise just the rattle on a cold start.keep in mind mines Not due to weather. Due to engine temp. But there are so many of us with the same issue. It can't possibly be a timing tensioner. Or could it?

Good luck with that damper.
Back to the rattle on startup. As with Wayner, mine is not weather related, just time sitting. At first it took a day or two now it will do it after a half hour. Again, I tried several different oil filters including dealership filters and NAPA. No luck.
I changed upper TC tensioners - no change.
Frankly mine is loud even underneath the car, so I'm unsure where it's originating. For God's sake, can't somebody, anybody cure this one.
The rattle on startup I mean, just to be clear.

Did you read Bruno's post?

I did and listened to his videos. His does have the startup rattle but it seems to me his has ongoing noises after startup mine and the others do not. Plus he said he had some issues before this that led to the problem. My car had no issues like that.
I have a sample of my oil from my last oil change. Where do you guys send yours for analysis? If it has aluminum in it maybe it may prove to be the bouncing cam gouged head thing...

I did and listened to his videos. His does have the startup rattle but it seems to me his has ongoing noises after startup mine and the others do not. Plus he said he had some issues before this that led to the problem. My car had no issues like that.
I have a sample of my oil from my last oil change. Where do you guys send yours for analysis? If it has aluminum in it maybe it may prove to be the bouncing cam gouged head thing...

His noise did stop right after start-up and he speculated about the oil cooler. He had no real proof that the oil cooler "failure" caused the cam issue. He was just trying to find the cause of the effect.....

Who will be kind enough to share Bruno's post with us?

We all can't possibly be experiencing what Bruno had to endure. I can't possibly believe that we all need to replace our engines... and I'm not about to take it to the stealership to pay outrageously amounts of money for them to replace this or that or let's try this until they narrow it down and then say oh hey you need a new engine. Someone out there who has spare time want to take my car and let's play? Lol

Well...

His noise did stop right after start-up and he speculated about the oil cooler. He had no real proof that the oil cooler "failure" caused the cam issue. He was just trying to find the cause of the effect.....

When i listen to his video I hear the startup rattle but i also hear a bad noise that cycles long after startup. I was thinking he had two noises, the startup rattle AND the ongoing noise of the cam bouncing around.

I use Blackstone Labs for my diesel truck. No complaints. I know some folks think it's junk science but to me it's peace of mind to send a sample every few oil changes. I plan to run the truck as long as possible.
Google them and send an email. They'll send you a kit (free) to get them a sample.

Really wondering what years this is affecting the most. Seems like a lot of 03s. Brunos problem seems like the cause imo..

Members online

Back