Speaker suggestion

L_King

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So some of you may have seen my post about my speakers not working. Well turns out one is blown, so now I am in the market for some new front door speakers( maybe rears latler).

So question is what speakers would you suggest for a 01 LS with the door speakers and centerconsole speakers(originally alpine 6 disc). I have a pioneer 4300 7in other wise stock. I just want to know what would be a good replacement for a almost stock system that wouldn't require any more amps.

Thanks, Lee

If you're going to replace the 2 front door speakers, you might as well replace all 4. Because if you don't, when you raise up the volume, the after-market ones will sound good in higher volume levels while the ones in the back will sound distorted in lower levels. I think the stock ls speakers are 25Watts or so which is really low, even some cheap Chinese speakers will sound better than stock. I replaced my 4 door speakers with jensens, which are low quality but they are still better than the originals. Soon ill upgrade though :)

Yea Id like to at some point get to all of them but for now it is just the fronts.

BTW what is the speaker layout for a 01 LS sport that came with the 6 disc alpine unit. I know all four doors have speakers, but what types and also the center console has some but are those tweeters or just small speakers. Also I noticed I do not have any speakers in the rear deck, is there supposed to be. And if there is a stock sub where would it be, trunk?

well it really depends on how much your going to spend, I personally like Alpine's myself, the type S's are great for not a lot of money, and have very rich sound and are pretty efficient so they preform great off of a headunit amp. you can go with 6x8, for a very easy install (make sure to pick up a set of speaker harnesses) or if you want better sound quality, go with a set of 6.5" components, you will need an adapter for them to fit (a lot of brands come with the adapter) but the install is a little harder because you have to find a place to mount the tweeter and crossover, but will have a much better sound to them.

Cool! Per advice of a audio knowledgeable friend I got some Alpine type s 5X7s (they don't make 6x8s) I didn't think about the componet thing. Maybe when I up the rear doors I'll move these to the rear and put the componets in the front. Are the center console speakers worth upgrading?

yea with alpines, they just have 5x7's with an adapter plate to make them fit much better, i really wouldnt mess with the center console speakers. since most aftermarket radios dont have a center channel output, and those speakers where designed to be used for sound effects from the DSP, trying to have them hooked up just messes with the sound stage, i have just left them unhooked in the end.

I put a set of inexpensive Rockford Fosgate 6.5" component speakers in the front doors of my 01 LS with the Alpine 6-Disc system. Everything else is stock and the improvement was nothing less than dramatic. The component tweeters are cut into the upper door panels right above the handle. There's plenty of room behind the panel to do this and it looks stock. The standard Alpine head unit has enough power to drive a set of 6.5" component speakers as long as they are relatively efficient.

I know old post...but somehow I blew the driver speaker. I don't know how because I don't turn it up that loud at all. Kinda pissed off about it..

I know old post...but somehow I blew the driver speaker. I don't know how because I don't turn it up that loud at all. Kinda pissed off about it..

you dont necessarily have to have them up loud to blow... you need to check what your HU output is, and make sure it doesn't exceed the speakers your buying... also check your install and make sure they're not being damaged by something, short, cone damage, moisture, etc.

yea with alpines, they just have 5x7's with an adapter plate to make them fit much better, i really wouldnt mess with the center console speakers. since most aftermarket radios dont have a center channel output, and those speakers where designed to be used for sound effects from the DSP, trying to have them hooked up just messes with the sound stage, i have just left them unhooked in the end.

I notice that the onlinecarstereo.com fit guide shows all the speaker sizes:

Front 1 6x8
Front 2 3.5"
Rear 1 6x8
Sub 1 & 2 6.5"

Crutchfield only shows front and rear 6x8, not real helpful.

Do they make subwoofers in 6.5"? I see some mid-bass drivers.... is that what people put in if they want to upgrade the rear deck speakers?

I'm thinking new GPS head unit, replace door and deck speakers, add a good multi-channel amp. I see people on here often prefer to keep the stock sub amp running in their setup. I think I will be wanting more power than that.

the rear deck are 6x9. The stock sub woofer is a joke, it's not meant for bass thumping sound but more of a sorround effect. If you want real bass, buy an aftermarket amp.

the rear deck are 6x9. The stock sub woofer is a joke, it's not meant for bass thumping sound but more of a sorround effect. If you want real bass, buy an aftermarket amp.

I'm putting in Tang Band 6x9 subs in the rear deck mated to a Rockford Fosgate 200w Punch 2 channel amp.

OK 6x9 for rear deck. Odd to make a sub with those dimensions. Tangband may be the only one... I could always use a nice Infinity Kappa 6x9, but I think real subs give that lower punch. I judge them by the magnet weight and voice coil winding length.

I will check with my installer and see if I can use a better quality pair of subs like the 6.5" JL and maybe the extra area can be covered up with Dynamat or maybe even just left as is and it will be a little bit of venting. In my experience, vented subs sound better. Non-vented sounds tighter, but it shakes the vehicle too much and has to be turned up much louder to hear. Vented is a smoother listening experience and is appreciable at lower volumes.

OK 6x9 for rear deck. Odd to make a sub with those dimensions. Tangband may be the only one... I could always use a nice Infinity Kappa 6x9, but I think real subs give that lower punch. I judge them by the magnet weight and voice coil winding length.

I will check with my installer and see if I can use a better quality pair of subs like the 6.5" JL and maybe the extra area can be covered up with Dynamat or maybe even just left as is and it will be a little bit of venting. In my experience, vented subs sound better. Non-vented sounds tighter, but it shakes the vehicle too much and has to be turned up much louder to hear. Vented is a smoother listening experience and is appreciable at lower volumes.

The Tang Band's have a 70oz magnet and 2" voice coils. CDT Audio makes 6x9 carbon fiber subs, but the reviews aren't that great.

If u want some real bass and keep plenty of trunk space, I have a single sub setup in a box built for a LS. System comes with everything needed to plug and play. All wires, sub, box and amp with remote gain for more control over bass output. Message me for details. I also have a handheld programmer with an aggressive tune for a LS.

Jejejejejeje I can't this weekend

uploadfromtaptalk1386567187510.jpg

This thread was helpful in choosing my door speakers, which I just had installed. Went with some cheapo 2-way Pioneers, $30/pair.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_31108_Pioneer_TS-G6844R.aspx

This was the best deal on something that had some responsiveness to it and wouldn't require an external amp to drive. I replaced head unit with JVC KW500 model, 20w per channel and 6 channel output. Must have gotten the db response number from Crutchfield, because it's not on Online Car Stereo's site. However, they did perform exactly as expected. These run fine on my new headunit, plenty loud and not distorted and don't feel like I need more power going to them.

What I DID have to do is to set them up correctly in the new head unit's speaker settings section. One of the choices allows you to change the crossover points. I had to increase the crossover to 40hz before these quit sounding like they had way too much mid-bass in them, which gave it a cheesy sound. Now they sound more complimentary, given that I've made a lot of head unit settings for them and for other things like soundstage level, ambiance, etc.

Pioneer_TS6844R.jpg

Pioneer_TS6844R.jpg

Members online

Back