A Cautionary Tale

proton32176

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a story many LS owners may find informative or frightening depending on their point of view.
I own a 2003 LS V6 I bought used in 2005. It was owned by a 92 year old man and had just under 7000 miles on it.

To be honest the car is a toy. I have had it eight years and it only has 30,000 miles on it. I drive it every few weeks mostly around town. The bulk of the mileage is from my wife and I taking it on trips every few years. If it weren’t for the trips it probably would have less than 20,000 miles on it.

Since it sits most of the time I have had very few problems. The only major repair was a Mass Air Flow sensor which had to be replaced a few years ago.

I have owned Lincolns all my life except in 1984 when I had a Turbo Saab. To say I love the LS would be an understatement ( as you will soon discover). Every time I take hard corners or accelerate from a red light I smile at my wife and tell her, “ Man, I love this car”.
Unfortunately, I had that love tested last week- almost to the breaking point.

Since I put less than a thousand miles a year on the car I only change the oil once a year around Thanksgiving. Last year when I took it into the Lincoln dealer they told me the rubber boots around the front Ball Joints were deteriorating. I was told they would need to be replaced soon at a cost of around $800.00.
I put it off until last week when I decided to go ahead and have it done along with my annual oil change.

A couple of hours after I dropped it off the dealer called and told me that most of the rubber in both the front and rear suspension had rotted away.
Now the price was $5500.00 to replace the defective parts.

Before I go further it should be understood my LS is in showroom condition inside and out. No scratches or wear anywhere. It looks like a brand new car.

To be honest I thought the dealer was lying so I made them put it on the rack and show me. Unfortunately, they were telling the truth. A lot of rubber in both the front and rear suspension was either cracked or totally rotten away.

Since the car is only worth $4000.00 dollars I told my wife we were going to the BMW dealership and buy a new car. I found a used 328i with less than 4000 miles on it. I drove it and my wife drove it and I “liked” the car.
But I didn’t “love“ it like the LS.

We told the BMW salesmen we would think about it.
That night I was really depressed. Not about the cost of the BMW but the idea of parting with my LS. I have owned the car 8 years and still love it as much as the day I drove if off the lot.

I am a Dentist and I have a patient who owns a shop that specializes in the repair of sports cars,( ie: Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc.).
He is a friend and I have been doing his Dental work at little to no cost for over 30 years so I decided to call in a few favors.

I gave him the itemized list from the dealer and he let his best mechanic look at the car. He told me it was worse than the dealer had described. The dealer had omitted many parts that while not failing this second would be needing replacement in the next 12 months.
The entire suspension consisted of rubber boots that had either completely rotted away ( the dealers list) or others which were cracked and would need to be replaced in the next 12 months ( the ones they omitted).
He informed me if he was going to tear the car down to this degree it would be better to replace all the rubber rather than pay the labor to tear it down again later.

The total cost to replace all the parts that had failed or were about to fail was going to be $4500. That was for parts and his mechanics salary only.
He would forgo any profit if I agreed to let his mechanic work on it when there were no “paying customers”. It would take longer but as long as I agreed he would at least be able to break even on the deal.

He took my wife and I on an extended tour of the cars suspension explaining everything that would have to be done. It amounted to replacing almost the entire front and rear suspension.
In case you didn’t know this ( and I didn’t), every joint on the LS has a rubber boot that is “built into” that particular part. You can’t just replace the particular joint or the rubber boot, you have to replace the entire part.
Also when one of the rubber boots go, the others go at the same time since they are all the same age. The result is you can go from no problems to severe problems in a very short period of time.

My friends advice was, “ Doc- your wasting money, go buy the BMW”.

I am sure many of you will think I am crazy but the idea of parting with the car really upset me. The BMW is a nice car but there is something about an LS that is more fun to drive. And I personally think the LS is a prettier car.

As I was sitting there looking at the car trying to decide my wife asked me a question.

She said, “ Is there any car we can buy you would love as much as you love this one?”.

I told her, “ I doubted it”.

She said, “Then fix the LS and enjoy it. The car still looks new and there are very few things I have seen you love as much as this car. Besides- it’s cheaper to fix it than buy the BMW”.
I decided to fix the car.

I figure as long as I can buy parts I will continue to have it repaired. And if I ever find a car I love as much as this one then I will get rid of it. But until then I am keeping my LS.

The point to this post is if you own an LS or thinking about buying one you need to check the suspension to determine if the car has the same problems mine has. While a $4500.00 dollar repair job on a $4000.00 car may sound ridiculous it was still worth it to me.
But it may not be worth it to a lot of other people, especially if the car has a lot of miles on it.

As long as I get at least another 5 years of enjoyment out of the car I figure it was a bargain. And since the BMW was $27,000 I figure I also saved over $23,000.

But many LS owners or potential buyers may not feel that way so I wanted to share this as something to look for.

Glad you found someone to do it cheaper, but you still could've sourced parts of equal or better quaility at rockauto.com

Man what a touching story.

I think initially you were looking at this wrong. When it comes to cars the dollars never make sense. Besides loving the car since its release, I decided to go with one because a purchased car is mine as long as it's in one piece. Even if I have to pull the engine it would be cheaper than buying another vehicle. You can't compare how much an owned car is worth to repair cost if the vehicle is worth keeping. Compare the repair cost to how much you love it instead. And your wife is right, you escaped a new car note on a car you wouldn't like as much. How hard would you be kicking yourself for that?

Ditto, the car has 10 years on it and needs a new suspension so you should be able to assume that you'll get another 10 years and 30k more miles out of it. I also agree that it needs driven at least weekly.

My '68 Fairlane 500 with 48k miles creaks and groans when I move it from the suspension not getting exercised often enough. My '68 Ranchero with @ 160k doesn't because it's run about weekly.

jolinc01 said:
Glad you found someone to do it cheaper, but you still could've sourced parts of equal or better quality at rockauto.com

This. I have been systematically replacing large amounts of suspension components here recently, and it is ungodly cheaper to slowly stockpile the parks from rockauto.com, and then have an independent shop (or yourself if you're capable) put the parts on it for you. Also, you could save a large sum of money by just purchasing the ball joints themselves and have them pressed into the arms. The dealer is charging you for an entire arm assembly. Ball joints are about $70 a piece on rockauto.com

Secondly, having a car sit can be very detrimental, especially if outside. All rubber and plastic components have a lifespan, and rubber is usually used in conjunction with a fluid or grease of some type, which is corrosive to the rubber in some extent, in addition to whatever damage is done by the rubber becoming dry and rotting out. All vehicles that sit for an extended period of time will suffer from this, yes you will save harder wear and tear on mechanical components by not adding much mileage but there is no easy out of vehicle maintenance completely.

If you like the car, keep it. You seem like you can easily drive something else in the time being. So search this forum and you can easily find all the common failed rubber and suspension comments. Get a good list going and then buy those parts from rockauto.com, do it over time and it’s like financing car repairs. Then take the car and those parts to the independent shop you mentioned.

Even this car
http://jalopnik.com/1958-pickup-with-1-3-miles-on-the-clock-sells-for-142-1427027154
is going to have a very, very, very long list of items that need replaced, mostly rubber and plastic, just from sitting around despite 1.3 miles on the odometer.

You will no doubt spend a lot more on it, you only talking about suspesion parts. There`s likely alot more deteriorated parts other than suspension. I personally think your wasting your money, specially on 2003. You obviously don`t servive it right, you said you change oil only once a year.

... You obviously don`t servive it right, you said you change oil only once a year...

He also said, in the same sentence actually, he puts less than 1000 miles on it a year. So please, update me with the correct oil change interval.

I guess you don`t know how to read the owners manual either
Under the conditions described, and using synthetic oil, once a year is fine. There's no abuse there.

As far the rubber suspension parts, there are additives in the parts that are released by flexing. If you go too long without movement, they'll dry out and crack and rot. BMW has the same problem there. Also, BMW requires some expensive tools to be able to replace some of those bushings. On the other hand, parts for the BMW are cheaper and more available. I have a 325i, and I don't like it nearly as much as the LSes.

Do we have a thread here that lists all the very common issues on the LS and the part numbers for the parts to fix the issues?

My LS sat around in Southern California (dry) and it sits around all winter now that I have it. Being almost 8 years old with 19k now I feel I may just replace everything sometime between 25-30k. Suspension, coils, plugs, maf air sensor, cooling parts, etc. I'd rather fix the issues before they happen. Also it'll be another 2-3 years before I even hit 30k so by then it'll be 10 years old and investing that stuff should get me another 10 years of happyness and free of huge issues.

Old car, new problem? I think not.
now had it been on blocks while resting ...

consider pressing new bearings in rather than purchasing whole new assemblies.

I don't know if there is one all-inclusive thread, but I know suspension components prone to failure and/or wear items are addressed in multiple threads here. Mine is going in the shop next week for just a few more items then I will be confident in the suspension for a while.

I just hit 80k so I plan to start purchasing those dreaded plastic cooling components and have them all amassed by summer. Then replace them all in one go regardless of failures. Honestly, outside of the common failures this car isn't bad at all in terms of reliability. Yes, coils that fail like this and cooling components made of plastic are silly and really shouldn't fail that like, but as long as you are aware of them, they aren't world ending issues, just annoying ones that could have been avoided with proper design and manufacturing. At the end of the day, I don’t drive around worrying that my transmission my just fail completely at will, unlike a certain chevy I drive on a day to day basis.

I'm glad my father is a diesel mechanic and I watched and learned how to be a bit of a grease monkey...I love to do my own work.

The suspension in the LS is actually pretty easy to tear apart and put back together...but I haven't done those sway bar bushings yet.

I traded my 02 in on an 06 to avoid putting money into the suspension of the 02.

After reading some of the posts - as the original poster I decided to clarify a few things from the comments.

1) The car does not sit outside but inside an underground Parking Garage.

2) The oil is changed annually because the car is driven less than 1000 miles per year and Lincoln itself told me that was fine considering the way the car is driven and stored.

3) A Dealer is not fixing the car. An independent high-end garage is. The owner is a friend and I instructed him to get the highest quality replacement parts available. Many of which will be Moog.

4) As far as not Servicing the car right- I wouldn't worry about that. Every fluid has been changed at least once since I have owned it (ie: transmission, coolant, etc). Anything this car needs it gets without hesitation. The repair bill was merely "sticker shock". As far as routine maintenance and preventative maintenance the car is extremely pampered.

5) Elimino wrote ," And your wife is right, you escaped a new car note on a car you wouldn't like as much. How hard would you be kicking yourself for that?".

You are absolutely right. I would not be happy at all even with a new BMW in the garage. Once I decided to spend the money and fix the car there have been no regrets. Even though it may be several weeks before I get it back.

What about the plastic cooling parts some of you are mentioning?

What about the plastic cooling parts some of you are mentioning?

That applies more to the V8, but the V6 has a few plastic parts too. Check the hoses at the front of the engine. Any of them with plastic sections should be replaced, as well as any plastic crossover pipes.

BMW has the same issues as well as other cars with firm suspension. The rubber bushings gets beaten up easily and quickly. The only major difference is that you can find suspension parts easily for BMW. Suspension parts for LS is very scarce and that drives up the price of dealer only parts higher. Energy suspension doesn't even have the right size bushings for the control arms, the generic sway bar bushings are not the same width as the OEM.

Also BMW were designed to be service friendly (that's what I call german engineering) Compared that to the domestic cars in which the parts were haphazardly stack on top of the other (that's what I call american chopper engineering)

Compared that to the domestic cars in which the parts were haphazardly stack on top of the other (that's what I call american chopper engineering)

American car manufacture is nothing more than making it the easiest possible for the UAW workers to assemble a car. There is no concern at all for ease of repair; for the owner or dealer service department.

Members online

No members online now.
Back