My Mark VIII - Update Inside

Cosmetic issues? Wasn't this car just painted a year ago???

I should have some pictures up soon of the Autocross event this last Sunday. It was a riot and the "crowd" really enjoyed the Mark VIII.

I did okay, placing 3rd out of 4th. Beat a Fox-body that was much more setup than the Mark, so I'll take that. On the last two runs, I developed a high-RPM stumble. I'm thinking it's a fuel problem, as I haven't put a new fuel filter in yet and the car probably hasn't had that much lateral movement in it's entire life.

I managed to locate some Koni's finally, so those will be going on sometime this winter after I figure out what springs to use.

Really the only picture from Sunday that turned out. I need to get my trac-lok installed badly.

10364890705_b15ccc27d6_b.jpg

Looks good.... BTW, clean out your PM box. But the short answer is yeah, I can do that.

So I was trying to find a better spring replacement, as I don't care about ride quality. There aren't many options, as we all know. Eibach and Vogtlands are really the only aftermarket options that I know of that are still produced. You can find Tokicos, Spring Tech, and others out there, but they're getting hard to find.

I decided to explore an alternative option, despite those over at TCCoA saying in wouldn't work.

The picture below are front springs from a 03-04 Cobra mounted on Thunderbird shocks with Koni inserts. I haven't had a chance to put them on the car, but they at least fit. The springs are shorter, so I don't know what ride height will be like, or if they'll work at all.

Stay tuned!

IMG_20131027_014614.png

If the car sits to low
Why not just machine some spacers for the spring perch?
I hope it works out for you.

What was the difference in spring heights? Like slow said, you might need some spacers whittled up.

If the car sits to low
Why not just machine some spacers for the spring perch?
I hope it works out for you.

What was the difference in spring heights? Like slow said, you might need some spacers whittled up.

Free length was about 1.5" shorter than the shortest aftermarket spring (Spring Tech 14.33"). These are 12.75" free length. I bet I'll probably need spacers, but maybe not. I don't mind if the car sits really low as long as I can get it aligned correctly and have room for a wide tire up front.

Members online

No members online now.
Back