My Mark VIII - Update Inside

98BLKLSC

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm the guy that bought GMAN's black 97 Mark VIII. Some may have heard, others may not have. Either way, back story can be found if need be.

I've finally gotten most of the major mechanical issues fixed. I've been through the entire suspension and the car rides like a dream. A cloud, which is a problem for me.

I'm about to put a new radiator in it and finalize just a few things. It is possibly that I located a set of Koni Yellows (aka Unicorns) and they'll be getting 550/700 lb./in springs.

While it looks pretty good from 10 feet, it is cosmetically rough. I have elected to leave it and put my money into performance goodies.

Some of you knew it was for sale on Craiglist / FB / etc, but may have noticed it was recently removed.

I'll let some pictures do the talking, but I have some awesome plans that I haven't seen anyone do with these cars yet.

20131003_183056_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131003_183209_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131003_183245_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131003_183732.jpg

20131003_190209_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131004_174620_RichtoneHDR.jpg

So I'm the guy that bought GMAN's black 97 Mark VIII. Some may have heard, others may not have. Either way, back story can be found if need be.

I've finally gotten most of the major mechanical issues fixed. I've been through the entire suspension and the car rides like a dream. A cloud, which is a problem for me.

I'm about to put a new radiator in it and finalize just a few things. It is possibly that I located a set of Koni Yellows (aka Unicorns) and they'll be getting 550/700 lb./in springs.

While it looks pretty good from 10 feet, it is cosmetically rough. I have elected to leave it and put my money into performance goodies.

Some of you knew it was for sale on Craiglist / FB / etc, but may have noticed it was recently removed.

I'll let some pictures do the talking, but I have some awesome plans that I haven't seen anyone do with these cars yet.

20131003_183056_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131003_183209_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131003_183245_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131003_183732.jpg

20131003_190209_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20131004_174620_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Pics with all 4 10th anniversaries on, or it didn't happen.

well you've done well with it so far, looks good! I'd save for a paint job later on down the line..just have fun with it, at least you won't have to worry about a scratch, ding etc. I can't decide what looks better, the 03 cobras or gt500 wheels, they both work well on the mark. What's with the hoosiers though..aren't those circle track hard compound tires?

Looking good
You would regret selling it.
With the love your are giving it I say you should
NEVER refer to it as gmans old car
Its now your car.

Glad you're getting it all worked out finally. Personally I think your wheels would look better in black. That car is just so mean it screams blacked out.

well you've done well with it so far, looks good! I'd save for a paint job later on down the line..just have fun with it, at least you won't have to worry about a scratch, ding etc. I can't decide what looks better, the 03 cobras or gt500 wheels, they both work well on the mark. What's with the hoosiers though..aren't those circle track hard compound tires?

I don't know if I'm keeping the GT500 wheels. I bought the 10th Anniversary wheels before the GT500 but the GT500's were too good of a deal to pass up.

As far as the Hoosiers, they are the A6 compound for autocross / time trial. I will be doing SCCA Solo events with this car once it gets "finished".

Get creative with some Plasti dip. :)

No plastidip shall ever be on this car.

Looking good
You would regret selling it.
With the love your are giving it I say you should
NEVER refer to it as gmans old car
Its now your car.

That's a good way of looking at it. It is my car after all the stuff I've done.

Glad you're getting it all worked out finally. Personally I think your wheels would look better in black. That car is just so mean it screams blacked out.

It may happen at some point, but who knows. If I keep the GT500 wheels, I'm going to refinish them. Neglect from the previous two owners and being in the rust belt hasn't treated them nicely.

Looks amazing! nice work.

Thank you!

98blklsc

when you did ur hub swap did you do the redrilled route or cobra hubs???

Posted via Topify using Android

Last edited:
He doesn't break any rules, per se....

He just commits to buying things, and never pays. And he asks a bunch of the dumbest questions.

I see. Well, looks like I'm safe.

On another note, replaced the radiator, lower control arms, and strut rods bushings this weekend. Sadly, driving it to work this morning I realize the blend door decided to end it's life. Supposedly it was replaced when the dash was out, but that was less than a year ago. I might just manually move it to heat for the little bit I'll be driving it when it's cold out.

Drives like a dream, though. Now I just need to get my Koni's and Hypercoils. :D

Like I told you on facebook, this car deserves someone like you! You know what? Don't worry about the cosmetic issues. When you are good n'ready she will visit the paint booth. 'Till then, keep up the good work! Turning over a bad leaf & the other side doesn't look that bad! Can't wait to see the progress... & ummm, those 30th Anniv are keeping us in suspense!

Like I told you on facebook, this car deserves someone like you! You know what? Don't worry about the cosmetic issues. When you are good n'ready she will visit the paint booth. 'Till then, keep up the good work! Turning over a bad leaf & the other side doesn't look that bad! Can't wait to see the progress... & ummm, those 30th Anniv are keeping us in suspense!

It will get painted some day. I'll try wet sanding it before that day comes, though.

I'm thinking my heat issue is a bubble in the heater core. I burped it with the heat on, but must've missed some.

The wheels will be on by this weekend. I'm waiting on tires for the front. Hopefully, I'll be rolling the fenders tomorrow night.

Posted via Topify using Android

Sadly, driving it to work this morning I realize the blend door decided to end it's life. Supposedly it was replaced when the dash was out, but that was less than a year ago. I might just manually move it to heat for the little bit I'll be driving it when it's cold out.

opps didn't see your post about the air bubble in cooling system.

Looks excellent
What size tires & wheels
And is there any chance of rubbing even if lowered?

Members online

No members online now.
Back