Ls transmission problem!

Derek

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello i have a 2003 lincoln ls 3.9 v8 and the trans started shifting very hard when going into 4th gear so i had the transmission flushed and the fluid changed but a short time after this the trans stopped working in D5 and D4 it would rarely catch a gear so i decided to try the manual shift but it would only shift up to 2nd gear for awhile and sometimes it would go on up but i could barely press the gas to get it to take a gear.. But a friend gave me a 2004 transmission and i replaced my old one with it and now it seems it is doing partially the same thing acting crazy when it goes to shift up and shifts very hard when it does. But when i go to put it in reverse it takes about 10 seconds then goes into gear but very hard. But i can go through all the gears it just acts like it doesn't know what its doing and after driving for about 5 minutes or so the check transmission light and the E icon will appear. I have no clue i was thinking maybe something electrical but thats just a guess. I would really appreciate the help. Thanks

A. Stop driving the car with the transmission issue, you're damaging it further.
B. Most likely need to replace the solenoid (good threads on it if you search), while at it you should replace the spring, get the shift kit, etc.
C. Is it possible both transmissions had the same issue? Yes, it is an extremely common issue with this transmission. I would get it rebuilt and not get another used transmission with potentially the same issues.
D. This will be costly.

Those symptoms (with the 2004 transmission) are classic symptoms of a failing solenoid assembly. Replace the solenoid assembly and flush all the fluid and you should be okay. (Many 2004s shipped with bad fluid and/or solenoid assemblies.)

if you go to fordpartsonline.com and pick Fairlain Ford in Dearborn Michigan the solenoid assembly is only $263 with $10 2 day shipping. I have gotten many parts for my lincoln from these guys and their prices are the best I've found. I payed roughly 85 bucks for a motorcraft degas bottle.

Members online

Back