P0171, p0401, p0301

JAY89ls6

LVC Member
Reaction score
So, I originally started with just having code p0301 about a week ago, so I took off my intake manifold to check the cp and spark plug. The spark plug was ok and the cp tested bad/out of range. I replaced the cp with a new one, and put everything back and I got code p0171. So I thought maybe my intake gaskets got damaged, so I bought new ones put them on, and now I have the three codes p0301 p0171p p0401. The odd thing is that the car has a rough idle and loss of power during acceleration for 10 minutes of driving, my commute home, and it's able to reach its operating temperature during this time, then it's parked for 10 minutes while I eat lunch, and on my way back it idles and drives perfect. My thought is that I might have a small crack on the intake manifold that is letting air get sucked in, and after it heats up the crack becomes smaller. Otherwise I am thinking some hose or hoses may have been damaged when I put everything back on. I currently have a small leak on the driver side muffler if that has any effect with this problem.

The car is a 01 lincoln ls v6 5spd with 132k miles. I changed the fuel filter at about 95k, the plugs, pcv valve, pcv elbow, vc gaskets, egr gasket, and intake gaskets all around that same time.

Any thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.

So, I originally started with just having code p0301 about a week ago, so I took off my intake manifold to check the cp and spark plug. The spark plug was ok and the cp tested bad/out of range. I replaced the cp with a new one, and put everything back and I got code p0171. So I thought maybe my intake gaskets got damaged, so I bought new ones put them on, and now I have the three codes p0301 p0171p p0401. The odd thing is that the car has a rough idle and loss of power during acceleration for 10 minutes of driving, my commute home, and it's able to reach its operating temperature during this time, then it's parked for 10 minutes while I eat lunch, and on my way back it idles and drives perfect. My thought is that I might have a small crack on the intake manifold that is letting air get sucked in, and after it heats up the crack becomes smaller. Otherwise I am thinking some hose or hoses may have been damaged when I put everything back on. I currently have a small leak on the driver side muffler if that has any effect with this problem.

The car is a 01 lincoln ls v6 5spd with 132k miles. I changed the fuel filter at about 95k, the plugs, pcv valve, pcv elbow, vc gaskets, egr gasket, and intake gaskets all around that same time.

Any thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.

Check all the hard vacuum lines. They may be cracked/broken. You would need to replace any failed lines with rubber vacuum hose and appropriate connectors.

I have the V6 also, check the boots on the vacuum line from the throttle body to the pcv valve at the rear of the engine, these boots split open. My 01V6 is very tempermental to vacuum leaks, the p0171 is almost always the pcv elbow or line going to it from the throttle body. check all vacuum lines carefully, check to make sure you have suction on the line with your finger. At this age the vacuum lines need replaced! I had to do all mine about 100k. The plastic parts would crumble in your hands.

I have the V6 also, check the boots on the vacuum line from the throttle body to the pcv valve at the rear of the engine, these boots split open. My 01V6 is very tempermental to vacuum leaks, the p0171 is almost always the pcv elbow or line going to it from the throttle body. check all vacuum lines carefully, check to make sure you have suction on the line with your finger. At this age the vacuum lines need replaced! I had to do all mine about 100k. The plastic parts would crumble in your hands. The 301 code is a bad cop. Replace them all if you have not done so.

I have that code I working on it right now but I have a lean code in both banks but the PCV hose did have a tear so I replaced that im still looking for any other leaks

Members online

No members online now.
Back