Steering wheel change!

Ling-Ling94

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ive already done searching around and didn't find anything. Personally i hate how the steering wheel of my LS looks. Can i change my 03 LS' steering wheel with a newer lincoln mkz or any other lincoln?

No. You can get it rewrapped to match the rest of the interior, like Artur did recently:

I can't imagine it being so cut and dry.

I'm sure with plenty of time and the proper tools/knowledge swapping out steering wheels would be very doable.

I am in no way a mechanic but it just seems doable with the right determination.

With that being said, doubtful it would be practical for you if you are asking on here if it can be done.

I know of a guy who put in a replica Nardi wheel on his LS. It required tapping off all kinds of wires and having a custom hub made to be able to attach it

No. You can get it rewrapped to match the rest of the interior, like Artur did recently:

i'm gonna do this eventually and see if they can make the rim a bit thicker and use some perforated leather. would look choice.

i'm gonna do this eventually and see if they can make the rim a bit thicker and use some perforated leather. would look choice.

Just get a steering wheel cover. Cheaper and will thicken-up the feel of the wheel.

og_lg1.jpg

og_lg1.jpg

+1

I had mine redone on my Gen I. I hate steering wheel covers with a passion. If the shaft is the same I guess that you could physically change wheels, but you would lose all of the steering wheel controls & airbag functionality. It would take some custom wiring work at the least.

I can't imagine it being so cut and dry.

I'm sure with plenty of time and the proper tools/knowledge swapping out steering wheels would be very doable.

I am in no way a mechanic but it just seems doable with the right determination.

With that being said, doubtful it would be practical for you if you are asking on here if it can be done.

I certainly wouldn't put an airbag designed for another car and a different generation control system in.

What color is your interior? I have a dark gray and carbon fiber wrapped LS wheel I've never installed....

Thanks for all the replies, I never really brought the airbag to mind and thats a big safety thing i wouldnt want to alter so i guess im stuck with the wheel :/ i have the tan/beige or whatever color interior that is. I'm planning on wrapping all the wood trim to black, so maybe I'll just wrap the steering wheel too. Thanks again for all the help...this is definately the best and kindest group of people that doesn't bash on people like me lol

Thanks for all the replies, I never really brought the airbag to mind and thats a big safety thing i wouldnt want to alter so i guess im stuck with the wheel :/ i have the tan/beige or whatever color interior that is. I'm planning on wrapping all the wood trim to black, so maybe I'll just wrap the steering wheel too. Thanks again for all the help...this is definately the best and kindest group of people that doesn't bash on people like me lol

The sport steering wheel did not have wood on it (all leather) You may want to look at those, might improve the look for you (at least thats how it is on a 1st gen...not sure on 2nd)

20130612_141429_zps5b931cd3.jpg

Same (no wood) on 2nd gen sport. (wood on premium sport)

wow, so i can't find a leather upholsterer to do my steering wheel. weird - any suggestions? shoe repair?

You could buy a spare, and send it to the place who wrapped Artur's steering wheel and shift knob. Looks like quality work to me.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?91010-DUBLESS-(pictures)

yea - he's what made me think to do this. if that shop weren't (probably) in Cali, I'd look into it but it'd take forever to get from NC to CA and back to me.

anybody ever seen one of these products installed? it's something you have to stitch on over the existing rim. i wonder if it would match my gray/tan/metallic interior decent?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181232701030?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

yea - he's what made me think to do this. if that shop weren't (probably) in Cali, I'd look into it but it'd take forever to get from NC to CA and back to me.

anybody ever seen one of these products installed? it's something you have to stitch on over the existing rim. i wonder if it would match my gray/tan/metallic interior decent?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181232701030?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It's the same as the Wheel Skin link I posted above. IMHO, the Wheel Skin is higher quality. I used a similar one in the past with good results.

It's the same as the Wheel Skin link I posted above. IMHO, the Wheel Skin is higher quality. I used a similar one in the past with good results.

interesting - thanks for the heads up. something about the photos maybe is what made me dismiss the WheelSkin earlier. it does seem like the ebay one is NOT real leather, whereas the WS is?

I have the Wheel skins half europerf perforated two color with a running shoe stitch. I like the extra padding, slightly larger grip, great with our extreme mountain desert temperature.

Great quality.

To each their own.

Another look at the web site:

http://www.wheelskins.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=e1a445d5383b29b69e6da63b0aa5ac53

yea if i were to get one i'd like the perforated leather. what does everyone think is the best match to gcwimmer (and my) interior color?

Sand
View attachment 828462800

Oak
View attachment 828462801

Grey
View attachment 828462802

damn they will mail you out color samples for free! sweet.

They will also send you more thread and extra needle you will need to do running shoe stitch(needle on both ends of thread). I switched mine since the photo, putting the smaller burgundy piece on top and the longer burgundy piece on the bottom making the 10:00/2:00 hand grip better.

You can find them on ebay a little less expensive.

ebay, premium OEM mats with emblem on front mats came in three color's medium gray, dark dark brown, and black. I have the dark dark brown for summer and use the gray for winter. IIRC they ran about $50 shipped for 4 mats.

As an example, but only front:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lincoln...:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item5d429af27a&vxp=mtr

thanks bro. saw those (dark grey) and saw these from the same seller (dark parchment tan):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400441992755?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

so what you show in your pic is the dark grey? i like that contrast.

Members online

No members online now.
Back