NOT LS RELATED AT...just need some insight

Dkloud216

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Recently.got a promotion at work(well its in process atleast) but i will be.getting a.new truck, dont need anything super/heavy duty. Lookimg at the ecoboost f150, does anybody have one? Fuel econmy, power, ride comfort(will be putting 60-70K + in miles yearly) reliabilty. Will become the Daily driver so any input on this truck would b helpful. Also liking the new RAM 1500. Ao any info anybody has on it would be fantastic too...Ive driven cars my whole life(beside my first which was an el camino), so not too sure what i should look for in a truck. I wont be doing any work on it myself(like i said a company truck, but dont want to take to garage "too" often. Quad cab is desired and atleast 5-6" bed, will have a ladder rack on it, but will mainly stay stock...might get a tuner if i get the ecoboost...budget is roughly 40K, but its a family company so i have a little wiggle room with that, again any insight on really any truck would do.

If you listen to automotive journalism I believe that they love the new Ram 1500 the best. It is the most carlike in terms of ride and comfort. They are not bad looking either. The company that I work for buys mostly Chevys, and I would pass on buying one for myself. I researched the ecoboost F150 extensively a couple of years ago. I was really interested, but equipped the way I wanted 50K+ was reality. That's when I started looking at diesels (I know that you said no HD necessary) and spending that high I went Powerstroke insted. 400HP/800FT LB 20+ MPG tire shreading monster. That being said the maintenance costs are probably 5 times as much as a gasser. The ecoboost is a very powerful engine as well though. If I was in the market for a gasser I still think that the ecoboost would be the way to go. Reliability is still up in the air for the ecoboost, but the initial outlook is good.

the ECOboost is the way to go for sure, great millage, plenty of torque (for a non pulling truck) and plenty of power can be unlocked for relatively cheap.

I personally wouldn't go near a ram for a truck, but if you do, what ever you do stay away from the new trans with the rotary knob for shifting, my dad has had problems with his in the first two months.

I would steer clear of the Ecoboost for a couple of years to see how they do and what kind of problems arise from trying to use a turbo-6 to replace a V8. I just don't see it as working all that well mainly because a truck needs low end grunt to do what it's designed for and a turbo has to have exhaust flow that comes in more to the midrange and high end to build power. If you look at the great and powerful turbo-6s gassers of the last 20 years, they are all racers and none of them have any kind of tow rating (turbodiesels, of course, are a completely different animal). Time will tell, but I'm betting that this is going to be a case of the flame that burns brightest dies fastest. I think I'd want to see how they do past the 100K mile mark in the real world. Besides, the new Chevy V8s, which are proven drivetrains, are pulling better mileage than the Eco-boost.

Since it's a small family company footing the bill for this, I'd suggest going for value to the company. Look for something off-lease, which will be very low miles but will still be reliable and fairly new. And, I'm a huge Chevy fan so of course suggest a Chevy truck. Have one in the garage now. If you can find one with a 6.2L and a 6 speed auto they are rock solid and get pretty decent mileage. Earlier this year I rented a Suburban with the 5.3L and a 6 speed, and it really moved that big vehicle around even with 4 adults and luggage for a week. Running at speeds averaging 80+MPH on the highway, it pulled down a solid 19MPG. And, it drove like a small vehicle. With a 6.2L it would really haul some ass.

I use a Mark LT as my daily driver.

Terrible MPG, but people dont get trucks for mileage. The F150 is a sold platform. The new rams are nice and get the best mileage, but not sure on longevity.

CAM01109.jpg

After a long, overdue time waiting for the promotion(senior tech rep for Truco-Inc.) I finally got my truck. A 2014 Z71 Silverado 4x4. I didnt expect to fall for the chevy, but i am completely impressed in every aspect. Hate to bring up an old useless thread, but I'm very excited for myself.

Here comes a plug, if anybody needs roof repair, PM me. Check out the website for more information. Truco-inc.com We are a family owned roof coating company. Metal, rubber, asphalt roofs. Many more applications as well. We also make rust proofing and a rust inhibitor for cars.

CAM01109.jpg

the Z71s are a pretty nice truck, really like what how the new interiors look compared to the last generation.

honestly, kinda been keeping my eye out to see how the new colorado/canyon turn out once they release them with the new diesel!

congrats on the promotion!

Members online

Back