00-02 Lincoln LS common problems (FAQ)

LincolnTech38

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I see alot of misinformation on this site and bad suggestions for the common problems with the 00 - 02 Lincoln LS so I hope some of this information will help you guys, and if anyone has a question about a problem with their 00-02 LS, ask here, and I will give you the answer IF i know it, or some things to check. If I cant help you I will tell you I cant, please dont pm me, i mod on another board and just dont have time to answer pms or emails.

03 and up I can also help with but we seriously dont have that many concerns with them, other than harsh shifting, and poor throttle responce (both mostly normal)

00-02 LS common problems by category

Misfires:
2 most common CAUSES of misfires on V8 LS's

#1 Oil leaking into spark plug wells.
- Spark plug seals in the cam covers always leak at higher mileage, this allows the oil to make its way into the spark plug wells, causeing the coils to short out

Repair - Replace the cam cover gaskets and spark plug seals
- Replace affected coils and plugs (ones that set misfire codes)
- Change your oil regularly (every 5k) use good oil

#2 Moisture/Water getting into coil covers.
- Water by get in coil cover, and into the spark plug wells shorting out coild

Repair - Outlined in TSB# 05-16-2
WATER/MOISTURE IN COP WELLS - DTC P0301-P0308 - 3.9L ENGINE - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 5/1/2004

Can be obtained from your dealer, TSBs must be provided by law to the public apon request.

summary: replacing faulty seals in wiper cowel and installing new coils when needed and coil covers when needed, applying diaelectric grease to coil ends.

Now coils can fail without either of these concerns, but those are the two most comon causes, oil leak being number 9 out of 10 times.

Clunking Noise From Front Suspension Area:

#1 Worn out front sway bar bushings
- Just about every LS will eventually have this problem. Front sway bar bushings wear out, no longer available.

Repair - Replacement of front sway bar with redesigned bar/bushings/brackets (03 and up sway bar design)
P/N: 3W4Z-5482-AA FOR V6 AND V8 BASE SUSPENSION; 3W4Z-5482-BA FOR V8 SPORT SUSPENSION; OR 3W4Z-5482-EA FOR V6 SPORT SUSPENSION).

#2 Loose Front Lower Ball Joints
- 2000 LS owners should verify that the recall on the front lower ball joints has been done

Repair - Replace front steering knuckles (ball joint not available seperate)

stabalizer bar endlinks hardly ever are the cause of the popping noise from the front suspension, though I seen them go bad on very high mileage LSs

Climate Control Concerns:
- Lack of AC Cooling from driver or passenger side vents, some LS's may experiences a temperature differential between the left and right vents greater than 15 degrees.

- Repair - TSB# 03-03-04
2000-2002 LS/THUNDERBIRD - CLIMATE CONTROL - LACK OF COOLING FROM DRIVER AND/OR PASSENGER SIDE VENTS - DUAL AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL (DATC) ONLY
SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A LACK OF A/C COOLING FROM EITHER THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER SIDE VENTS OR AN EXTREME TEMPERATURE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDE ON VEHICLES WITH DATC (DUAL AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL). THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY A FAULTY DCCV (DUAL COOLANT CONTROL VALVE), A FAULTY DATC CONTROL ASSEMBLY, OR FAULTY ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS. INSPECT AND SERVICE AS NECESSARY, ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS, DCCV AND DATC CONTROL ASSEMBLY.
See TSB for complete details
EFFECTIVE DATE: 02/06/2003

In my experiance in addition to that TSB, its usually always the DCCV, but a low refridgerant charge will also cause this conern and should be checked before repairing anything else.

Windows Inop:
- Certain LSs my experience any of the windows inop due to broken regulators, most common is the rear windows.

Cause - Faulty window regulators (if a crunching noise is heard hear when operatring affected window this will be your problem)

Repair - Replace affected Regulator in some instances covered under warranty this TSB will apply, (see build date on your driver door)
If this tsb applys to your vehicle both rear regulators will be inpsepcted and both will be replaced if neccessary.

04-6-3
BODY - POWER WINDOW - REAR POWER WINDOW INOPERATIVE - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 1/22/2002 - REVISED SERVICE PROCEDURE
ELECTRICAL - POWER WINDOW - REAR POWER WINDOW INOPERATIVE - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 1/22/2002 - REVISED SERVICE PROCEDURE

Moisture/Water Headlamps:
- Most LSs will encounter this problem.

Cause - Faulty headlamp Seals

Repair - TSB# 03-16-02
2000-2002 LS: BODY - HEADLAMP - MOISTURE IN HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY. ELECTRICAL - HEADLAMP - MOISTURE IN HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY
SOME 2000-2002 LINCOLN LS VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT CONDENSATION BUILD UP INSIDE OF EITHER HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY. SEAL HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY AS NECESSARY. REFER TO THE TSB SERVICE PROCEDURE FOR DETAILS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/05/2003

The TSB outlines a procedure to re-seal the headlamps, it also states to replace the headlamps if there are visable water stains and or water is pooling in the headlamps, not to reseal them. Fog and moisture, the reseal procedure is to be done.

Overheating:
- Mostly affected 00-01 V8 LSs, will experience overheating, check engine light, restricted perfomance messge

- 00 LS owners should check with their dealers to insure that the recall on the thermostat V8 engines has been done. (only certain build dates)

- V6 engines not affected as much.

Repair - Replace thermostat

coolant leaks V8/V6
- The Coolant expansion tanks crack

Repair - Replace exansion tank

All TSBs are Covered under bumper to bumper warranty. (4years/50k) and under most ford extended service plans (premium care/extra care/premier used car coverage)

I will update this when I think of other stuff or if anyone points out other problems that are COMMON to all LS's, im not going to add little problems, this is for major concerns, or else I would be here all day ;)

hope this helps. Remember concerns, comments, questions post up, ill check back as often as I can.

jay

That's a good list that most can find on TSB's. The trick would be to have Technical Articles for the Do-It-Yourselfer on the ones that can be done by the weekend mechanic. I see a lot information that is bad or incorrect on LvC from time to time simply because there isn't sufficient or concise installation instructions. Most, if not all, tech articles should have a disclaimer stating that you take the risk of screwing up your car and the tech articles are only a guide. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for posting this information. Maybe you should pin this information or maybe we can start a FAQ section.

Climate Control Concerns:
- Lack of AC Cooling from driver or passenger side vents, some LS's may experiences a temperature differential between the left and right vents greater than 15 degrees.

- Repair - TSB# 03-03-04
2000-2002 LS/THUNDERBIRD - CLIMATE CONTROL - LACK OF COOLING FROM DRIVER AND/OR PASSENGER SIDE VENTS - DUAL AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL (DATC) ONLY
SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A LACK OF A/C COOLING FROM EITHER THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER SIDE VENTS OR AN EXTREME TEMPERATURE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE DRIVER AND PASSENGER SIDE ON VEHICLES WITH DATC (DUAL AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL). THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY A FAULTY DCCV (DUAL COOLANT CONTROL VALVE), A FAULTY DATC CONTROL ASSEMBLY, OR FAULTY ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS. INSPECT AND SERVICE AS NECESSARY, ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS, DCCV AND DATC CONTROL ASSEMBLY.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 02/06/2003

Can you tell me just where this valve lives? I get an occasional blast of hot air from the passanger side vents that is only cured by turning the car off, then back on, or runing the self test. I suspect the valve is failing, but want to know ahead of time what a pain replacement may be.

BTW, 115,600 miles on my V6 and still going strong!!

I have two problems with my 2002 LS V8.

First one, the rubber pad that should be on the brake pedal is missing. Do they make a replacement?

Secondly, both of my rear vents are broken. Just the black pieces that slide side to side and adjust to direct the flow of air.

Any input on where I might be able to find replacement parts are a good price would be welcomed. I checked with the dealer, they said it was not a warranty item even though I am still within my warranty coverage.

KC_Steve said:
I have two problems with my 2002 LS V8.

First one, the rubber pad that should be on the brake pedal is missing. Do they make a replacement?

Secondly, both of my rear vents are broken. Just the black pieces that slide side to side and adjust to direct the flow of air.

Any input on where I might be able to find replacement parts are a good price would be welcomed. I checked with the dealer, they said it was not a warranty item even though I am still within my warranty coverage.
Contact Bill Jenkins with Team Ford at 800-791-6436. He'll hook you up.

I made a thread for this, but I'll ask you.. When I put my 02Ls V-6 in drive or reverse the car jerks,and not a normal jerk it's pretty bad. Im still under warrenty so I was gonna take it in but I would like to know what this could be.

I'm sure there is a lot of incorrect things on this board, but there is also some incredible help. I had a n overheating problem during the summer. all 3 local dealerships could not point it out. one wanted to flush radiator and change thermostat. other said i had a leak in 400 hose that neede to be replaced. another said change the whole fan AND pump assembly( very expensive). finally i told them beat it, i'll do it myself. guys here advised me on just changing the fan pump. it works great. tough to do but saved me money. this was best among many other times when i recieved very good and entertaining info. thanks:Beer

How do you tell if you have the sport suspension or the regular?. I have the 2000 that seems to be loaded with everything, V8, sunroof, phone in console, cd, 17in wheels etc.

Steering knuckles/ ball joints

Is there a place to puchase LS knuckles other than my dealer @ 275+$
each. My right one is bad. Installation doesn't look to tough, is it?!

Engine Misfire Problems

Information was very helpful. What about antifreeze detected around coil cover and into spark plug well causing coil failure, what needs to be done to fix problem? Car is Lincoln 2002 LS V-8 with 49,000 miles.

So I just bought a 2002 LS V6 from a dealer that got it at an auction. I love it; the interior is great and was driving great until about 2 weeks ago. I knew it was leaking oil but only a little and when we took the valve cover off the valve wells were filled with oil. Replaced the spark plugs and the gaskets and was running fine.

Now the car is overheating. No coolant leak anywhere, levels are good and I don't know what is causing it. Temp. stays at half when on the highway by while on the streets it goes up to 3/4 and sometimes all the way up. I am considering flushing the hydraulic system to see if that would help. Any other suggestions?

to me, the car temp running fine on the hwy points to the fan not flowing enough air when going slower.

instead of the other overheating problem...

unlikely that a flush is all thats needed.

could be the hydraulic pump going bad, or the actual motor on the fan itself
going bad. sounds the same to me.. if its staying at optimal temp on the hwy,
then its something else.

My suggestion is the hydraulic fan pump actuator. There's a write-up here somewhere.......

That did the trick. After much research, the overheating problem pointed to the actuator. I replaced it my self and now the fan blows on high when the car needs it to. No more overheating problems. Now I have to work on fixing my A/C issue. Car blows nothing but cold air. I adjust the temperature, put on 90 degrees and still nothing but cold air. On top of that, when the A/C is running and I'm idle at a stop light, the car seems to misfire. Anyone know what this might be from? I am wondering if the crankshaft position sensor needs to be replaced. No misfire with A/C off though.

the ac putting the car under load at idle may be putting the cops under enough load to
show one or more are weak / failing.

02 v8 cooling fan only runs on low and can stop it with my hand? Is this the fan pump or solinoid? I am not a new technician just new to the hydro fan system.

No I stopped with a rolled up penny saver and there was no force at all. Like a pad fan clutch back in the days of those.

It's probably the actuator on the pump, but it could be the fan motor and/or the pump. Also, make sure the fluid isn't contaminated. It should be Mercon or Mercon V.

Just bought a 2000 Lincoln Ls 3.0 v6 and I've been having an issue where when I accelerate I get a high pitched humming noise from somewhere in the front. Almost sounds electrical? Any suggestions?

Members online

Back