Drilled/slotted front rotors,98 LSC, where?

wkokaneeman

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I know there are some on ebay, but I would like to check more sources, and prices. my fronts are warped, and I figure I would replace with slotted/drilled, instead of having the ones on now, turned down smooth. Just want to have bolt on replacements to replace the stock warped one. Bolt on's, so to speak. Thanks for the help!

Save your money! Drilled rotors have less contact area the a standard rotor, thus less effective braking. Those rotor are only ment for racing applications ment for high heat dissipation to reduce brake fade. Just go with a quality rotor and semi metalic pad!

I doubt you would notice any breaking difference on the street.
If you like the look, fine.
Buy a decent brand with a warranty because I have heard of them cracking.

I put Drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pad from ebay from R1 concepts on the front and back of my 93 supercharged Mark VIII and it stops much better than any other Mark I've had ?? 5 Marks over 15 years and many miles. I put some on the front of the Black 98 LSC. Again from ebay but from a no name cheapest and there not as good and are already warping. I'd post a link to the ones I bought for the supercharged Mark but its been years ago and I'm not sure it would be the same ones. I'm just certain they were R1 Concept and the slots ended in a diamond shape.

I put Drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pad from ebay from R1 concepts on the front and back of my 93 supercharged Mark VIII and it stops much better than any other Mark I've had ?? 5 Marks over 15 years and many miles. I put some on the front of the Black 98 LSC. Again from ebay but from a no name cheapest and there not as good and are already warping. I'd post a link to the ones I bought for the supercharged Mark but its been years ago and I'm not sure it would be the same ones. I'm just certain they were R1 Concept and the slots ended in a diamond shape.

There are new performance cars that come with D/S rotors (Mercedes and BMW), and there are advantages to regular rotors-

http://www.sp-performance.com/Advantages_Drilled_Slotted.htm

I have D/S on my Mark, and on 4 other cars I own (all four wheel disk brakes), and have never had any problem with any of them. When I first got them and installed them on my Mark, I compared the temps of the rotor surfaces with what they had been with the OEM rotors, and they were consistently lower by at least 50 + degrees. I have not had unusual brake pad wear over what it was prior to their installation, and have used both ceramic and semi-metallic pads with them, and do not notice more or less pad wear. I bought from various supplies including R1 and Summit, and they are usually around the same price as a good set of conventional rotors. Just my opinion, based on actual usage, your results may vary.

Save your money! Drilled rotors have less contact area the a standard rotor, thus less effective braking. Those rotor are only ment for racing applications ment for high heat dissipation to reduce brake fade. Just go with a quality rotor and CERAMIC pad!

Fixed

I would only put a Drilled rotor back on my car if it was a GOOD name brand, like Brembo. I've used several inexpensive brands, and they all crack at the holes which is a VERY dangerous condition. For a normal driven car, solid rotors are just fine. If you're having warpage issues, chances are you've got other problems in the hydraulic system, like a binding caliper or bad hose, binding hardware , etc etc

Ceramic pads need specific heat temp to achieve 100% of there potential. Street use dose not get the pad up to proper temp, thus useless also, Ceramic pads will minimize rotor life do to the super hard pad compound, ceramic pads are vary expensive. For me the cost dose not reflect the benifit. Semi metalic pads for street use is the way to go!

You can say all the bad things you want about Drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads but I wouldn't trade the ones on my supercharged mark for anything short of bigger Cobra brakes. I love them and there much lighter. They are years old and have done a lot of 120mph + stops. With ease and no warping

You can say all the bad things you want about Drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads but I wouldn't trade the ones on my supercharged mark for anything short of bigger Cobra brakes. I love them and there much lighter. They are years old and have done a lot of 120mph + stops. With ease and no warping

And there's no cracks stemming from any of the drilled holes??

my brown car has 13" BrakeMotive drilled/slotted.....no probs, no cracks

Baer...

Western-20120311-00333.jpg

Western-20120311-00333.jpg

And there's no cracks stemming from any of the drilled holes??
Not yet. But that's why I waited years before praising them. I knew they worked great right after putting them on but I waited to see how they held up. But like I said because of the great results with the first set I bought another cheaper no name set off ebay for the Black LSC and they are already warping. I remember also that the first set came with very specific and complex break in instructions but I followed them to the letter.

Sapperfire,Quidckblue302;

I have no issues with my braking system. i just commute 165 miles a day, 3 days a week for work, from the central valley of Cailfornia, to the bay area(Silicone Valley), so i see crap loads of commute traffic in those 2 hours! i'm on the brakes a lot, therefore they warp. i've owned Fords of 1 type or another for years(i have an 02 Super Duty 1 ton,long bed,crew cab,diesel also, w/240,000k on it), and i've had the same issues with all of them. i think it's a well known fact that Fords warp rotors a bunch! it's just wear & tear. my SD tows my boat most of the time now, but runs great, and has new brakes,rotors,calipers, all the way around.

Driller;

Nice looking set there. i don't have Roush anything on my car. it's completley stock, so i dont know if those rotors you have there in the pic will work with my stock factory calipers? if they would, where did you get those? the size? could you provide a link if they will work with the stock caliper? and i do have ceramic pads on the front now. metalized pads in the rear, late last year.

dnsherril;

Do you have a link for the rotors you mention(Brakemotive) in your post? are 13" rotors standard stock Mark 8 size rotors? so that these you mention will work with my stock calipers?

Thanks for all the imput guys. it's appreciated! just want to get a quality set up front, for the best price i can get has well!

Ill chime in here. A street compound ceramic pad is not like a race ceramic pad. IE you don't have to heat them up to get the most out of them. Ceramic rotors on the other hand are a different story, they need heat to work well.
My truck just went from standard pads to ceramic and I can tell you first hand I would not have the truck right now without those pads as the next day I had an emergency stop and missed another truck by less than a half inch. The metallic pads would not have stopped me in time.

Moving on, D/S look great but you HAVE to buy a quality rotor. Bear, Brembo or Akebono. Any cheap brand or no name brand drilled rotor WILL crack if you really drive your car. My green Mark and white Mark would crack them all the time because I would drive quick on twisty roads and they just can not handle the heat/cold fluctuations.
Even really good brand drilled rotors are not ment for track use due to the same issues. Ever seen a Cobra R rotor explode on a track from heat cracks in the holes? I have. It aint pretty. All track cars have solid or slotted rotors because of this. Drilled is a street only thing.
When switching the Cobra setup on my white mark to slotted rotors cured the warpage and cracking problem.

Marks are heavy cars and even the standard Cobra upgrade is at its limits for the cars size. Stepping up to the 4 piston R versions is near perfect for these cars.

As for pads, I have found the EBC red pads to be superior to all others. I have tied the PBR, PBR upgrades, Wagner ceramics, Hawk ceramics and a few others and the EBCs have FAR less fade and were the only ones that could make me nauseous when using the brakes as hard as I could.

So if you never drive the car hard, get the Brakemotive D/S rotors as they look great and for normal driving are fine. If you are on a budget but want to stop hard on the street, get their slotted versions. If you wish to drive hard and just have to have D/S rotors then get Brembo or Bears. But a good slotted rotor and ceramic pads will degas and cool down just fine, even in a track environment.

Driller;

Nice looking set there. i don't have Roush anything on my car. it's completley stock, so i dont know if those rotors you have there in the pic will work with my stock factory calipers? if they would, where did you get those? the size? could you provide a link if they will work with the stock caliper? and i do have ceramic pads on the front now. metalized pads in the rear, late last year.

The car has the Cobra hub swap and 'Rousch' branded PBR calipers with Baer rotors - I think they were a Mustang GT front brake upgrade kit. Pricey to be sure but Baer rotors are some of the best available. The rear has the stock caliper on another set of matching Baer rotors with the hub swap and caliper brackets for the bigger rotor. Stainless brake lines complete the package.

Link for the rotors... http://www.decelarotor.com

The only way these rotors would work on a stock Mark VIII would be to drill them to 5 x 4.5 pattern.

EDIT... to my surprise, Baer does offer their Decelarotor design to fit the stock Mark VIII. ;)

Seeing as how my Mark is going to be needing Fronts in the near future I started to read this thread. I did notice from the '98 LSC I sold, I put the better Autozone Rotors on it and they did not warp like the cheap ones I had got from them before. They did have a small but of a warp feel but not sure if it was do to rears still being cheap ones?

I do have a set of Semi Metallics (AZones) for the front that I bought when I got the latest car. So I just checked on the EBC Reds and WOW they ain't cheap! However they also are selling EBC rotors for the Mark on EBAY slotted Screen Shot 2013-09-22 at 8.10.31 AM.jpgor slotted and dimpled Screen Shot 2013-09-22 at 8.10.54 AM.jpg

I have Slotted 14.5 inchers on my WRX and one of if not the best modifications I did to that car! So now thinking about getting a set of these rotors for the Mark in preparation for the stockers to wear out.

Screen Shot 2013-09-22 at 8.10.31 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-09-22 at 8.10.54 AM.jpg

yea, the BrakeMotives are def budget friendly, 13'' is for the Cobra upgrade. I haven't yet put many miles on them, and I may live to regret buying them. My std ride is 90 highway miles/day 5x week, about 1/3 of that in stop/go interstate jams. I don't drag race or race other cars or police. So maybe my driving is 'normal' and they'll hold up ok.
----
For the other car with stock Mark 8 brakes I use solid EBC rotors. Both cars have Wagner thermo-quiet pads
---
Brake Motive link

Drilled & Slotted work fine if you don't cheap out on them. R1Concepts is a great place to get brakes from for any car, they're drilled & slotted rotors are awesome. I have slotted rotors and ceramic pads on my 95 mustang, I wish i got the drilled & slotted because they look better lol. & they'd probably stop a bit better than what I have now.

Seeing as how my Mark is going to be needing Fronts in the near future I started to read this thread. I did notice from the '98 LSC I sold, I put the better Autozone Rotors on it and they did not warp like the cheap ones I had got from them before. They did have a small but of a warp feel but not sure if it was do to rears still being cheap ones?

I do have a set of Semi Metallics (AZones) for the front that I bought when I got the latest car. So I just checked on the EBC Reds and WOW they ain't cheap! However they also are selling EBC rotors for the Mark on EBAY slotted View attachment 828462388or slotted and dimpled View attachment 828462389.

I have Slotted 14.5 inchers on my WRX and one of if not the best modifications I did to that car! So now thinking about getting a set of these rotors for the Mark in preparation for the stockers to wear out.

Do you have a link for the eBay rotors? I just want to buy the right stock factory size slotted/drilled rotors for my 98 LSC, give them to my mechanic to install, and be done with it! I'd do it myself , but I have a severely pinched sciatic in my back from Labor Day, replacing a left from air strut on My 95 LSC, and it's still killin me, and I don't want to aggravate it!
So what us the stock factory size front rotor size for a 98 LSC? Thanks guys!

Do you have a link for the eBay rotors? I just want to buy the right stock factory size slotted/drilled rotors for my 98 LSC, give them to my mechanic to install, and be done with it! I'd do it myself , but I have a severely pinched sciatic in my back from Labor Day, replacing a left from air strut on My 95 LSC, and it's still killin me, and I don't want to aggravate it!
So what us the stock factory size front rotor size for a 98 LSC? Thanks guys!
I just put EBC MarkVIII in the EBAY search bar and these came up on the page. They were selling 2 rotor or 4 rotor sets so I just grabbed some picks of slotted/slotted dimpled EBC's

Members online

No members online now.
Back