W3z2 ecu

97 Octane

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Swapped out my Z4H0 ecu off my '94 to a W3Z2 last night.

image.jpg

After driving the Mark last night and today, the W3Z2 ecu seems to be more lethargic than with the one that came with the '94. I am wondering if there is some kind of ecu learning period that would adjust to your driving style, like the one in my Daimler.

So far I have been disappointed with the W3Z2s performance. Is there anything I should change, upgrade or fix before I put the Z4H0 back in?

image.jpg

I honestly can't tell much difference between my dza1 and w3z2 aside from SLIGHTLY firmer shift points..I think. I feel like its a placebo..its all in your head..ill be switching back to the dza1 and adding an sct chip burned by BOC that I bought off of sleepermark..just want to do a true dual exhaust first to match the mods that he had done to his 95.

true dual exhaust?
--
x-pipe? magnaflows? flowmasters? LMS?

Don't believe there is a lot of difference in the Z4HO and the W3Z2 ... My 94 with the Z4HO screamed ... I put a W3Z2 in it and didn't notice much. Now Both vs my 95's ECU ... much different.

Agreed. The Z4H0 is more responsive and yes, it screams compared to the other ecu I got.
I was really surprised how much more sluggish the W3 is. With the Z4, I am able to get up to speed (45mph) in about 3-4 seconds whereas with the W3 took up to 5-6 seconds even after beating the snot out of it! I might have a bad unit, I dunno.

But I might try something else. I purchased a Superchips custom tuned chip with what the private seller says has two tunes. The tune is for a '94 Mark VIII and was described as mild and the other was aggressive. A detuned program was also included for Valet which I think is pretty cool.

SCT 6600 5-position Switch Chip
image.jpg

The problem is, the switch that is suppose to be at the other end of the wire was not included. Is anyone familiar with how Superchips wired the switch to the board?

SCT 6601 Cable
image.jpg

As you can see, one end of the wire has been cut where a toggle switch would have been. The other end has 3 wires and a shield attached to a connector. From the left, we have a white wire going to pin 4 on the connector followed by a black wire going to pin 3 and the red wire going to pin 2. Pin 1 would be the shield.

I don't want to start wiring in a switch for fear it might cause some kind of failure while driving.

image.jpg

image.jpg

true dual exhaust?
--
:hump:
---
x-pipe? magnaflows? flowmasters? LMS?

I wanted to basically get exactly what nolimit had just minus the dual in dual out x muffler..2.5" mandrel stainless pipes with an x and two magnaflow mufflers. I've just been lazy and putting off going online and spending $500-$600 on everything.

Don't believe there is a lot of difference in the Z4HO and the W3Z2 ... My 94 with the Z4HO screamed ... I put a W3Z2 in it and didn't notice much. Now Both vs my 95's ECU ... much different.

Rich what ECU is in my 95 ?

I sure would like to know what's in mine! I know where it's at but can't read it unless I pull it out.....maybe I'll check some more.

The problem is, the switch that is suppose to be at the other end of the wire was not included. Is anyone familiar with how Superchips wired the switch to the board?

View attachment 828461941

As you can see, one end of the wire has been cut where a toggle switch would have been. The other end has 3 wires and a shield attached to a connector. From the left, we have a white wire going to pin 4 on the connector followed by a black wire going to pin 3 and the red wire going to pin 2. Pin 1 would be the shield.

I don't want to start wiring in a switch for fear it might cause some kind of failure while driving.

You can buy just the switch assembly from any SCT dealer, it's pretty cheap.

I hate the little switch they put on those. I tested the one I have to see if I could find another rotary switch to replace it. I never did find a suitable replacement. I can build programmable rotary switches at work but they are like 2" x 2" and would be about 3-4" deep by the time I stacked the modules. LOL

Anyways, in binary notation for continuity, this is the switch operation...

Position 0 - 0000
Position 1 - 1001
Position 2 - 0101
Position 3 - 1101

Positions 0 through 3 are the programmed positions, position 4 is stock and the remaining positions (5-7) are "inoperable".

After failing to find a replacement switch, I though about using 4 small pushbutton switches, normally-open/normally-closed. I was going to check to see what positions 4 through 7 would be (I'd place money position 4 is "1111") just to make sure I wouldn't cross something up if all 4 pushbutton switches were closed but I lost interest at the time and forgot about it. LOL :D

which one is better in a 94? ill have to check mine. my car was made in feb 94

There isn't much difference, if any at all between the Z4HO and the W3Z3 but you should have the Z4HO. I think only some in Jan had the Z3 but not many. Some may have even had the Z2 before being changed over to the Z4HO. The only thing that really shows any difference while driving between the HO, Z3 and the Z2 is shifting points. My Z2 shifts faster than the Z4HO I had and surely shows a difference with the DZA1 that I had in the 95

W3Z3 WOT spark
6000.000 27.0
5000.000 24.0
3500.000 23.0
3150.000 19.0
3050.000 14.0
2500.000 12.0
2000.000 12.0

W3Z2 WOT Spark

6000.000 32.8
5000.000 29.0
3500.000 26.5
3150.000 22.3
3050.000 17.0
2500.000 15.0
2000.000 13.0

W3Z3 Rev Limit 6450

W3Z2 Rev limit 6850

W3Z3 1-2 shift 5600
W3Z2 1-2 shift 5600

W3Z2 speed limit (driveshaft revs) 16372= no speed limiter
W3Z3 speed limit (driveshaft revs) 5400 = max speed limited!

Shift pressure on the W3Z2 PCM is 15 PSI higher.

You can buy just the switch assembly from any SCT dealer, it's pretty cheap.

I hate the little switch they put on those. I tested the one I have to see if I could find another rotary switch to replace it. I never did find a suitable replacement. I can build programmable rotary switches at work but they are like 2" x 2" and would be about 3-4" deep by the time I stacked the modules. LOL

I may have to purchase another swich assembly from SCT afterall, like you said, they are pretty cheap. For some reason I was thinking these chips used just a toggle switch but after some searching, realized that some chips that were sold with one program only were sold without a switch. And other chips with multi programs were sold with an 8-position rotary switch. Mine apparently is the multi.

Update: With the SCT chip (also goes by the name, Eliminator Chip) connected to the W3Z2, it just woke up this sleeping giant. I mean the improved shift schedule is firmer and more performance oriented. The car just pulls right at 2900 rpm on up along the power band. The power is just amazing. Acceleration is so much better. It's not as sluggish as before. This car has never felt like this before......wow!

I only notice the performance when the shifter is on Drive, never on 2 or 1. Called SCT and talked to Rep. Chris yesterday. Said they no longer have any information on a chip this old. :confused:

Wish I knew what the map is on this chip but it got to be dumping more fuel at WOT. I did not notice any unusual smoke from the exhaust. A/F ratio must be fine. Definitely more noticable torque and horsepower that you feel at seat-of-your-pants thats for sure. Best $1 I've ever spent.

Without the switch, it is only using the mild tune program. I am unable to switch to the other tunes at the moment. Can't wait to see what happens when I get the new rotary switch(SCT 6002) and cable(SCT 6001) from the SCT dealer.

Do I sound a little excited?

Yes-I-am!

I may have to purchase another swich assembly from SCT afterall, like you said, they are pretty cheap. For some reason I was thinking these chips used just a toggle switch but after some searching, realized that some chips that were sold with one program only were sold without a switch. And other chips with multi programs were sold with an 8-position rotary switch. Mine apparently is the multi.

Update: With the SCT chip (also goes by the name, Eliminator Chip) connected to the W3Z2, it just woke up this sleeping giant. I mean the improved shift schedule is firmer and more performance oriented. The car just pulls right at 2900 rpm on up along the power band. The power is just amazing. Acceleration is so much better. It's not as sluggish as before. This car has never felt like this before......wow!

I only notice the performance when the shifter is on Drive, never on 2 or 1. Called SCT and talked to Rep. Chris yesterday. Said they no longer have any information on a chip this old. :confused:

Wish I knew what the map is on this chip but it got to be dumping more fuel at WOT. I did not notice any unusual smoke from the exhaust. A/F ratio must be fine. Definitely more noticable torque and horsepower that you feel at seat-of-your-pants thats for sure. Best $1 I've ever spent.

Without the switch, it is only using the mild tune program. I am unable to switch to the other tunes at the moment. Can't wait to see what happens when I get the new rotary switch(SCT 6002) and cable(SCT 6001) from the SCT dealer.

Do I sound a little excited?

Yes-I-am!

Like I stated above I just bought an sct chip off another member here that had a 95 also. He included the order form paper work from BOC which stated he had the shift points firmed up and the cats turned off as well as tuned for a true dual exhaust and air silncer delete. I was contemplating just waiting till I order my exhaust and get it installed to put the chip in since I deleted my air silencer also but still have my stock exhaust...however reading your post makes me really want to just put the thing in already..does anyone think it would make a difference if its tuned for a true dual set up and running it with my stock exhaust?

Btw mine also came with the cable and rotary switch as it is also a multi program chip. Do you know what they had the chip tuned for as far as shift points/firmness and ignition spark etc..?

Will a W3Z2 ecu work in a Gen 2?

If not, what is the preferred Gen 2 ecu?

No not at all, 93-95 is obd 1, 96-98 is obd 2. I don't think the connector is even the same. I don't believe there is a performance difference between the 96-98 ECUs, or I've never seen anyone mention it before at least, buy a tuner for it.

Will a W3Z2 ecu work in a Gen 2?

If not, what is the preferred Gen 2 ecu?

keVIIIn is right. Also have not heard of any performance difference among 96-98 ECUs.

I bought the SCT SF3 flash tuner for my Gen 2. Had it custom programmed for street performance only but you could add more tunes for performance or for race application at anytime. Each SF3 flash tuner will only load a programmed tune to one VIN or one car only. It can also read and clear codes for most obdII vehicles but not all.

Members online

No members online now.
Back