My Great 8's Burned up Mark VIII

DieselDan

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Rich sent me these photos and I asked him if he wanted me to post them up... so here they are! Grab a stick and a marshmallow...

This is the same car that I did this article on here...
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...w-To-Oilpan-and-Oil-Filter-adapter-gasket-R-R

Anywho...

Before:
null_zpsb782a59b.jpg

null_zps2f08243c.jpg

After:
null_zps73daf902.jpg

null_zps8adfb209.jpg

null_zps8ca61763.jpg

null_zpsc06b8d0b.jpg

null_zpsc21f512d.jpg

null_zps83edb0d8.jpg

null_zps99eda1d1.jpg

null_zps4bf08dcd.jpg

null_zpsad19b164.jpg

null_zpsbab3f157.jpg

Really sucks. I don't think I've ever seen pics of that car before. Rich were you able to determine what started the fire? Only good thing I see is that the front end pieces were salvageable, headlights and grill mostly. Most important thing is your son's alright. I'm sure you will have him in another before long.

From what my Son said the blower for the A/C came on by itself. The EATC said "off". A few more miles and the cruise shut off and wouldn't go back on. A few more miles and white smoke came out of the A/C ducts. By this time, he was about a mile from home. He floored it to make it home. At a stop sign, he said "balls of fire came from under the glove box and flames were coming from outside by the passenger wiper blade". He continued to drive to my other house to put it out. When he parked it in the driveway and got the hose, he heard a loud explosion and part of the hood blew off and the windshield went with it. He lost his wallet, keys, and his beloved I phone. He said the radio kept playing for a while. This happened at 1AM. FYI, I bought it from Jamie a little over 3 years ago. I'm sure there are pics of it when he owned it.

I found out through facebook a couple days ago. This is not how I expected this car's life to end. In fact I never expected it to end at all. I expected the motor to go in a couple years & just get it replaced for another motor & continue beating it. Any Mark VIII but this one. I'm speechless.

I found out through facebook a couple days ago. This is not how I expected this car's life to end. In fact I never expected it to end at all. I expected the motor to go in a couple years & just get it replaced for another motor & continue beating it. Any Mark VIII but this one. I'm speechless.

Yea, it sucks. The damn thing showed no signs of dying. My Son said it turned 181k last week. The whole time I owned it, it never broke down! Just normal maintenance and the major repair that Dan did. It certainly was a "great 8!"

damn Rich thats horrible that mark was nice....the most important thing is that your son didnt get hurt....it could of been worst.....a car is replacable but your son is not.....get him another mark viii and live on.

Sad that it had to go out the way it did, but i'm glad your son is ok.

damn, that was a nice car too! sorry to see this Rich.
good to see that everybody is fine, and that the car didn't take anything else with it.

looks like that damn cruise deactivation switch went up. most marks have them just in front of the right front tire in the bumper, but the 93's had them under the car towards the brake booster. was the recall ever done?

looks like that damn cruise deactivation switch went up. most marks have them just in front of the right front tire in the bumper, but the 93's had them under the car towards the brake booster. was the recall ever done?

Not sure about the recall. I assumed Jamie took care of it. I believe it started with a wiring harness by the blower motor. The FD said it started by the passengers side firewall. My Son said little black balls of fire were falling from by the glove box and because he was driving 80 mph with the windows down trying to get home, The fireballs started the passengers seat and carpet on fire. It will remain a mystery. I never had any electrical problems with it. Although I got my moneys worth out of it, it had a lot of centimental value with my Son and I. The other part of this that sucks is my company is taking my work van away from me. Therefore, I need a work car to sit in a mall parking lot all day and comute 84 miles a day. That was going to be the car. It got 29 mpgs on the highway. Now, I don't know what I'm going to get.

graduating from the LSC to the 4 door full size....smooth move :cool:
---
I'm with you on the ease of fixing aspect

graduating from the LSC to the 4 door full size....smooth move :cool:
---
I'm with you on the ease of fixing aspect

Not really graduating. I started my driving career with a 77 Mark V then bought TC's. I still have my 98 LSC and my 98 CE. I had a 97 TC before my 98. It never needed anything but gas and oil and was such a great ride. I cannot see my Marks in a Best Buy parking lot all day.

Members online

No members online now.
Back