Mark with a coyote

I am going to go out on a limb and say that pass was probably on the motor with no spray at all. It should certainly be capable of that time in a Mark8 with a steep gear in the back. And that, of course, is awesome. The new Mustangs are no fox bodies in terms of weight and from what I am seeing, the curb weight between the Mustang and the Mark VIII is within less than 200# so power to weight ratio is very close.

I don't know about that, considering the fastest the 11-13 GTs have been stock is 12.60s even with the optional gear and 6 speed and a few hundred lbs less..if that 5.0 is stock in the mark I kinda doubt its gonna be any faster than a stock mustang, that might have been with a small shot. Did he mention whether its a manual or automatic?

its probably an auto.

some GTs (mostly stock, maybe a tune/tires) have gone low 12s. plus this guy has 4.10s, which the mustangs don't.
the auto gearing on the mustang is like 3.15 i believe. i think you can get 3.73s with the manual though.

looks like muscle mustangs and fast fords ran 12.342 at 110.77 mph with a 1.758 60 foot on drag radials. 2011 gt.

bolt ons and tires have pushed those GTs pretty well into the 11s. so they power potential is certainly there.

curb weight of a 2012 GT is 3,603 lbs.
curb weight of a mark viii is listed at 3,757 lb.

so not a huge weight difference either.

I wish Gas Monkey would do this swap on their show one of these days or anything with a Mark Viii. Glad he chose a black on black to do the swap.

Gas Monkey did do a swap using a Mark VIII engine in one episode.

This..........

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I wana know how hard that motor was to get working in an MN12, wondering if it can be done for less then 10k.

10K is hard unless you can score the motor from a JY. The complete crate engine is $6500 and the ECU is another $2500. You will have to fab mounts and exhaust and pan. Then there are the trans mods. Since you are no longer using the OEM ECU you need some way to control the trans. IDK if the Coyote ECU has the ability to do it or if you need a stand alone TCU or what.

Still love the swap and I am sure the 12.5 runs are with giggle juice. I know many people running mid 12's on their GTs with tune/exhaust/intake and banging the gears but the Stang can launch better due to that steel gurder out back. LOL

2011+ GTs run mid 12s bone stock as long as they aren't at altitude, even the autos. Guys with intake, exhaust, and tune should be in the 11s.

Still love the swap and I am sure the 12.5 runs are with giggle juice.

I'll bet not. No need for juice to make a Coyote swapped Mark8 run 12s. There is only a couple hundred pound difference in curb weight from the Coyote Stangs and the Coyote Mark had 4.10 gears. Stock Coyote Stangs can run mid 12s. Look at the dyno numbers on a stock 5.0 Coyote Stang. HIGH 300s. That is enough for mid 12s in a Mark8 with a 4.10 gear

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. Its a cool swap anyway.

Look, I spend most of my interwebz time on DFW Mustangs and Stangnet. Have many friends with 5.0s and have driven quite a few. PURE stock Mustang GT best is 1.89 - 12.22 @ 115.18
Most run 12.6 to 12.5 if you can drive really well. I also have a good friend that ran an 11.9 with tune/exhaust/intake/drag radials/drive shaft and control arms.

The Mustangs that post the fastest stock times are usually base cars because they weigh in at 34XX lbs. Load them up and they can get to 36XX. Now a Mark on the other hand (second gen) will start at 38XX and work its way up quickly with aftermarket wheels, Cobra brakes and a moonroof. You can also get more tire under the Mustang plus weight transfer is better and we all know a live axle can hook better than an IRS. Marks use their IRS well and I am not saying its bad but for straight line performance a live axle is better.
Their drag coefficient is about the same though so no effect on outcome.
Then there is the transmission. The Mustang has more gears weather it be stick or auto. Better to stay in the power band.

So you take a stock Mustang GT and it runs 12.5 with a damn good driver. Take its motor, slap it in something that weighs 400+ lbs more (which is good for .4 seconds), reduce its tread patch, give it a rear end that has more deflection and reduce its ability to stay in its power band and still run the same time.

Sounds legit.

Now because I like to poke things from both ends. Good shocks/springs, IRS brace, steep gears, modded trac lock or better, drag radials, tune, long tubes and a driver mod and a 12.5 I could see.

1.89 sounds like a very crappy short time for a low 12 second live axle car. I've seen our IRS cars do better than that with much slower ETs. Hell, my buddy's live axle Crown Victoria can do better at 3700#. He cut a 1.86 and ran a 13.41

If Coyote Mark was able to run low ass 1.8s or dip into the 1.7s on his shorts, that changes everything.

Here's my idea:

Curb weight and factoring in the crappy IRS, call it a theoretical 13.0 car Now, add 4.10 gears and most definitely the fact that he had it tuned and assume his launches were 1.8s or better, a 12.5 would come EASY in my opinion. :)

OK. You win at the internet races.

Your response was a lot longer than mine Mr. Jabberjaw and I also do not believe you. You lost this internet race way back in 2010 already when you said a Coyote swapped Mark8 couldn't be done. I think you're bitter. :D

Now because I like to poke things from both ends. Good shocks/springs, IRS brace, steep gears, modded trac lock or better, drag radials, tune, long tubes and a driver mod and a 12.5 I could see.

1.89 sounds like a very crappy short time for a low 12 second live axle car. I've seen our IRS cars do better than that with much slower ETs. Hell, my buddy's live axle Crown Victoria can do better at 3700#. He cut a 1.86 and ran a 13.41

If Coyote Mark was able to run low ass 1.8s or dip into the 1.7s on his shorts, that changes everything.

Here's my idea:

Curb weight and factoring in the crappy IRS, call it a theoretical 13.0 car Now, add 4.10 gears and most definitely the fact that he had it tuned and assume his launches were 1.8s or better, a 12.5 would come EASY in my opinion. :)

OK. You win at the internet races.

And thus is why you win. I wasn't there. I don't know. Its all conjecture. Its the internet, any conversation about drag times always runs down to who knows who did what with what and how this was and what the track was like and if they had French fries that day and what fuel was run and tire pressure and what their favorite color is..... mine is ham by the way.......

Your response was a lot longer than mine Mr. Jabberjaw and I also do not believe you. You lost this internet race way back in 2010 already when you said a Coyote swapped Mark8 couldn't be done. I think you're bitter. :D

At that point in time I said it was due to electronics. Since then Ford has made it a plug and play setup. And I believe my response was more along the lines of you could but it would be hard and expensive and need to wait for someone to hack the ECU and for the same cost you could forge and stroke the Teksid and slap a snail on it and make double the stock 5.0s power.

And I am bitter. I wanted to be the first to do it. Ask Sapper, a year and a half ago I saw the FRPP catalog and saw the add on ECU and said "Crap, now I must do it."
Unfortunatly life has gotten in the way LOLZ

Members online

Back