New project (Barn yard find)

i thought mustang headers were a dime a dozen. and since its not in a mark you should be able to snag a set of long tubes for cheap.

What's up guys. I'm back from vacation. My step dad & the mechanic put the motor in the Mustang on Saturday while I was away. Now the problem is we are stuck at the electrical. The mechanic that is working on this project for us has never done this specific swap before but he's a great mechanic.

Does anyone one have a wiring diagram for the wiring hub/plug?
I want to do things right the first time.

Also, what's better? Use the wiring from The GT or buy an entire wiring harness from a Cobra?

Also, can someone elaborate how I would have to wire up the alternator?

Another issue I'm encountering is we can't fit the driver's side valve cover with the brake reservoir in the way. Any ideas?

Check out the pictures below. This is where we're at:

20130729_134735_zps4a8b74fb.jpg

20130729_145027_zpsfe20fc94.jpg

20130729_144929_zps3d1d78f7.jpg

Also, what would you guys do when it comes to the crank positioning sensor? The mechanic told us he can't use the one that was in place.
20130729_145315_zpsdcc8d360.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I think you need to use/modify the GT harness, or repin the mark harness.

I would be repining the mark harness, myself.

Get EVTMs for both cars. Otherwise you will be in the dark.

Modify the GT harness to run this engine unless you feel really comfortable with tracing circuits.
Either way you do it, you will need an RPM driven switch to control the IMRCs with the GT computer.

You could always consider running the Mark VIII ECU as well, but that's a whole new ballgame, and probably out of scope of this project.

As replied over at MM:

Also, what's better? Use the wiring from The GT or buy an entire wiring harness from a Cobra?

Use the GT's engine harness. All you'll have to do is lengthen a few wires.

Last but not least, how did you guys fit the driver's side valve cover with the brake reservoir in the way?

Why weren't the valvecovers installed before the engine was installed? You may have to unbolt the hydroboost from the firewall to get the driverside valvecover in place now.

Also, what did you guys do when it came to the crank positioning sensor?

They're the same.

I could we wrong fellas, I haven't done this swap before. But if he gets an EVTM for the mark and GT and just moves the pins on the engine harness main connector, he wouldn't have to cut or modify the harness at all.

This is assuming you can read the diagrams well. That sounds easier to me personally.

use the gt harness slight modifications. ..only diff is 4v has a knock sensor 2v don't

lots of info...any good mechanic can easily see what goes where and what needs to be modified

Well, my stepdad decided to leave the electrical to a car electrician. This guy's not a bad mechanic but he's creating excuses when it comes to reaching this part of the project. I will keep you guys posted. We just ordered a 2001 Cobra cluster (160mph) tonight & waiting on the electrician to show up on Saturday.

Ok guys. This is where were at. Motor has been dropped in. Valve covers are in place. Most of the external parts we had to do ourselves because the mechanic was f'ing lazy when it came to the easy stuff like the radiator hoses, the power steering pump installation, the transmission dip stick, heater lines, plug in a few sensors, etc... Go figure. Yeah there are a few things I'm still scratching my head about which I will mention further below.

Ok, this weekend I had an auto glass guy come to my house & swap over the front windshield from the donor car to my blue Mark for $70.00. My front windshield was beyond scratched up. It was horrible to see at night.

Here are a couple pictures of my blue car getting it's new windshield.

20130802_164008_zpse6f5d79b.jpg

20130802_183736_zps3ed55072.jpg

20130802_183752_zpsd44d0696.jpg

Now here's how the Ivory donor looks so far. The cutting of the car will begin this week. Starting from the front which is already disassembled, working our way back. If anyone needs a gas tank & wants to come get it, it's in MINT condition. I will take $80.00 for it.

20130802_184212_zps3bac2f58.jpg

20130803_154555_zps7661ba16.jpg

Here's the Mustang with it's heart transplant! It's still a mess. Especially since we noticed the GT wiring was super messy to begin with. The kid that owned it did a sh!tty job.

20130803_154547_zpscc28e6ec.jpg

20130803_152325_zps12c9b463.jpg

We have 2 questions. I heard on other forums that there is no return fuel lines on the Mustang. If so, how do I cancel them out? (Shown in the picture above towards the upper left).

I also heard that the EGR is deleted on these Mustangs. If I delete it, what do I put in its place to cover it up? (Shown below)

20130803_152240_zpsbe5e4b98.jpg

Use a '99/'01 Cobra or '03-04 Mach 1 fuel rail and relocate the mounting tabs.

EGR can be deleted by blocking off the port at the intake, blocking off the port at the exhaust manifold, removing the DPFE, transducer, EGR valve, and tube, and turning off the EGR system in the tune file. The EGR system is not deleted from the factory as you seem to have heard.

Use a '99/'01 Cobra or '03-04 Mach 1 fuel rail and relocate the mounting tabs.

EGR can be deleted by blocking off the port at the intake, blocking off the port at the exhaust manifold, removing the DPFE, transducer, EGR valve, and tube, and turning off the EGR system in the tune file. The EGR system is not deleted from the factory as you seem to have heard.

As for the EGR, we've already ordered the blocking plate. We are using 2001 Cobra exhaust manifolds. What do you mean by "turn off the EGR system in the tune file"? Sorry, dude, it's the first time I'm doing this so I'm completely new to this.

As for the fuel rail, can I not use the stock Lincoln Mark VIII fuel rail? I'm not changing to the Cobra intake.

Members online

No members online now.
Back