Another F100 swap

Nosjunke

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Let the frustration build! I spent quite a bit of time laying out the pictures of my swap, with explanations, and info, only to have the website not respond when I hit submit new thread.. So in an event to get it up before that happens again..Here goes quick version.

Like Saturn5 I have an old truck. It's a 73 F100. I plan to swap a 94 MK VIII engine and drivetrain in it. Below are my beginning swap pictures.

I'm not able to weld anything so I'll have to farm that out, but I started with the interior...

f101.jpginterior.jpgkickpanel.jpgmkviii.jpgmkviiiint.jpgoldinterior.jpgseat.jpgsound deadening.jpg

The donor is a 94 MK VIII that run pretty well. It's a nice car, too bad I'm gonna rip it apart. I actually like driving it.

Keep an eye out, more to follow...I did run the wires for the amp (4-channel Kicker) and put the carpet back in to make sure the kick panels fit. I'll finish the kick panels this weekend and put it all back together with all the new interior parts I just ordered.

f101.jpg

f100.jpg

seat.jpg

interior.jpg

oldinterior.jpg

f101.jpg

interior.jpg

kickpanel.jpg

mkviii.jpg

mkviiiint.jpg

oldinterior.jpg

seat.jpg

sound deadening.jpg

Welcome Matt.

Looking forward to seeing the progress. Don't forget.......I have dibs on those Corner lights, Grill, and trim.

:)

Mike

Yeah Mike about that...I was looking at how I'd get those pieces off yesterday. The drivers side chrome trim is missing and the grille is painted black. I'll take some pics of it and send them your way to make sure before I send them to you.

I almost actually bought this car last May as my DD, but he wouldn't come off the price of $3000. Fast forward 12 months and I walked away paying just under $2000. That'll teach him...lol Pretty much sat in the same spot for a whole year. It moved from time to time, he replaced the battery and added about 100 miles, but that's about it.

I guess the next "issue" that I have it figuring out what headers to use. I will need shorty headers for best fit, but what is the consensus for our cars for aftermarket?

Cobra manifolds are the cheapest route that I know of, but I've heard they don't work well in the F100, steering shaft. This is one bridge I haven't crossed yet.

Yes, I am afraid to buy a set only to find out they won't fit. My actuator is on the shaft, not sure how your is/was. It would be so easy to do it when the motor is out as opposed to when it's put in. Not to mention the custom header back exhaust we are going to have to have anyway.

Now if you bought a turbo kit you wouldn't have a problem! headers (er I mean "manifolds") would go up instead on down...

Cobra manifolds are the cheapest route that I know of, but I've heard they don't work well in the F100, steering shaft. This is one bridge I haven't crossed yet.

Oh and hurry up your swap! I need to see how yours pans out so I know what to do/not do...lol

There are ways to get around that.
FR1504M.jpg

That is close to what is in here, as you can see......not much room.

hemi.jpg

Cool project, very clean truck :cool:

FR1504M.jpg

Nice nice...thanks for those links.

Almost done with the kick panels and the whole stereo for that matter...Decided to buy a ported kicker truck box with a 10" in it as it fits right on the back ledge. Couple more pics here...

grille "a"
driverkickpanel.jpg

or "b"
passengerkickpanel.jpg

I like grille "b" better because it is less prone to damage the speaker if someone kicks it. The other grille fits better and will some protection.

driverkickpanel.jpg

passengerkickpanel.jpg

Finally.....The stereo is complete...OMG, I can't believe 5 speakers sound this good.

I put a layer of sound deadening on the back panel, then fiberglassed the 1/4" MDF to it since I didn't want to put any screws holes in the cab. Once it was dry, I added carpet, pulled out the wires, and that was it.
finishedinstall.jpg

Finished kickpanel
kickinstalled.jpg

Welcome Matt.

Looking forward to seeing the progress. Don't forget.......I have dibs on those Corner lights, Grill, and trim.

:)

Mike

Mike do you need that eyebrow trim off his car also..otherwise if not I'd like it if its in good shape

Here is a picture of the engine and trans pulled. Now it's time to take a break for a few weeks while the family and I go to Universal and Seaworld next week. When I get back I'll clean up the engine compartment and get the new motor and trans in there. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the steering and am on the fence about using the IFS from the lincoln since it seems to be so much more work. We'll see how all that goes in the upcoming weeks...Also trying to source a complete 96-98 Cobra intake setup. Checking EBay and Craigslist, but if anyone here has a stalled Cobra instake swap I'd consider buying your set, just let me know.

Engine.jpg

I've got a74 F250 with one ton underpinnings, Dana 60 rear, 390, Holley, Mallory unilite, headers, duals,cam, chrome wagon wheels, new bumpers with rush guard, custom gauges, JVC head unit, 600 watt four channel amp twin 8" subs, lifted two inches, tinted, Honda buckets, homemade console, and 400K miles- fourth engine, second built trans!!!
Had it since 1986. Love that old bastard!

i have one. i am stopping my mark build project because i bought a 08 bullitt mustang that was in a fender bender really cheap.
everything is there, egr, aic, throttle body with sensor, intake manifold plates and even most of the bolts to attach them.
$400+ shipping from the 53146 zip.

Here is a picture of the engine and trans pulled. Now it's time to take a break for a few weeks while the family and I go to Universal and Seaworld next week. When I get back I'll clean up the engine compartment and get the new motor and trans in there. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the steering and am on the fence about using the IFS from the lincoln since it seems to be so much more work. We'll see how all that goes in the upcoming weeks...Also trying to source a complete 96-98 Cobra intake setup. Checking EBay and Craigslist, but if anyone here has a stalled Cobra instake swap I'd consider buying your set, just let me know.

Engine.jpg

No, i was thinking it might be easier to put a carb'd 302 in it. I thought selling the car might get me enough cash back to put together a 302, but then I'd still need a transmission. I still have the MK VIII. Just saving up for the swap. I think after I talked to Ron Francis about the wiring for the FI I don't think it would be that difficult once the engine and transmission are in place. Since I can't do any fab work (and trying to keep costs low), I want to do as much as I can by myself so being able to do the wiring (even at a cost of almost $1K) should save some money. Looking like all I'll be spending money on outside of the house it fabbing up the mounts and pulling the 4.6 and trans.

Don't give up! I'll get there! As you can see from the original pictures the car was not crashed when I bought it. I lent my sister-in-law the car to drop off her son at daycare and she hit someone head on, so any chance of selling parts off it after the motor is pulled is probably nil.

Update:

I pushed the F100 to the back yard and pulled the Lincoln into the garage to get started pulling the motor and trans. Over the past few months I've "loaned" the car out to a friends mom to drive as a DD. Now that it's home again, it's time to start cutting her open. Anyone need anything? Interior is blue leather, center console destroyed. door panels? glass? misc stuff?

I'm taking the Engine, trans, computer, harness, and radiator. Everything else for sale, but the front trim is trashed, passengers side crash so fender is bad also. Prefer pick near Fayetteville.

Members online

No members online now.
Back