Paint this?

CopeNgrizz

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Should I just try to peel the rest off or sand and paint over it?

image.jpg

+1 ^ remove old chrome and use a quality etching primer, then wet sand the primer, shoot your base coat, wet sand the base coat, shoot clear wet sand the clear then polish it out. These procedures are if you want the same mirror like finish your car has, if your just looking to cover it up then take all the wet sanding steps out. Good Luck and keep us posted.

The wet sanding isn't needed if you use quality paint out of a proper gun, just make sure to shoot each layer with in the flash time of the paint. You only need etching primer on bare metal any sandable primer will work if you take the chrome all off. If you just sand it smooth then get the etching primer. An sand that well and another light coat then sand with about higher grit to smooth to touch. Next lay base coats in a few light layers keeping in the flash time of the paint so it bonds well as continue with clear, them wet sand if any fish eye or orange peel appears. Also if you shoot after your flash time you may get what's called dry spray and need to sand it. Then buff it out. Starting with high to medium cut working your way to a machine glaze and then wax and seal as normal.

Good to see the color underneath there. Mine is starting to bubble, but I want to color match it to my black '05. I also want to get rid of the chrome around the trunk as well.

Members online

Back